The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by Frelga »

Yov, I meant the MCU thread, of which Tapatalk shows me a preview.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile (from the Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri class of unquotable movie titles).

Despite its mixed reviews, I thought it was impressive. The clever twist to the approach (not really a spoiler) is that the viewpoint character is Ted Bundy's girlfriend, so we don't actually know if he's doing the things he's being accused of. Zac Efron captured Bundy's charm and charisma, which led some reviewers to complain the character was too appealing. But given his ability to put women at ease was a key factor to his success as a serial killer, I think it was important to get across. Not all monsters appear monstrous.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That’s a useless movie name. Which “three billboards...” is not.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

True, I can remember Three Billboards, while I needed to Google Extremely Wicked to get the proper name (I could only remember that it finished with 'Vile'). I have to wonder if it didn't dampen its success.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

It gets it's name from one of Bundy's sentences as pronounced by the court: "The court finds that both of these killings were indeed heinous, atrocious and cruel, and that they were extremely wicked, shockingly evil, vile and the product of a design to inflict a high degree of pain and utter indifference to human life."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The line does appear in the film. But it still makes for a title which is, shall we say, extremely clunky, difficult to remember, and awkward ;).
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Saw 'Tolkien' yesterday. The entire family enjoyed it.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Came across "Tokyo Godfathers" a few days back.
Lovely film.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Watched Good Sam (netflix) over the weekend.

A simple, sweet, predictable, formulaic, and yet well written and acted love story. I like it when you get exactly what you expected but done well. :)
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Having grown up on Laurel & Hardy, I recently saw "Stan and Ollie".
A little by-the-numbers, but very touching. And by God, do John C Reilly and Steve Coogan look exactly like them.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Passengers with Pratt and Lawrence. A space version of a kidnapped bride, but Pratt's character is otherwise a nice guy so we are supposed to be OK with it. Which is not OK.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Don't know where to put this, but recently finished HBO's Chernobyl. Very well made, detailed, gripping, terrifying, heartbreaking, haunting and to my surprise historically accurate for the most part.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Toy Story 4 was beautiful.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

How would you rank it next to the rest of the franchise?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Last movie I saw: Kung Fu Hustle. Dear lord :poke: It was... hilariously bad. Bizarre to say the least.

The last thing I watched non-movie was Nanette, the "comedy" show from Hannah Gadsby, which was less comedy and more... ripping out your guts.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Toy Story 2 is my favourite.
I'd put Toy Story 4 at the same level as Toy Story 3.
My only gripe is that 3 has the perfect ending to the trilogy. 4 doesn't really add anything to that, but it doesn't take away anything from it either. On it's own, it's a solid film. Heartwarming, very funny, good story and a very satisfying ending - especially if you're attached to all the characters since the first film. And it has the best animation VFX. By far.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The Great Wall. It got some flack when it came out, but it turned out to be pretty and entertaining. In 2016, it should have been OK to make a movie in which Chinese characters fight off monsters from the Great Wall without requiring a white male viewpoint character. But maybe the Chinese studio felt it would help the movie. At least they didn't wedge in a romance. It's a fun fantasy battle movie.

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Looking over Netflix for something new to watch I found the lavish Colombian TV series Bolívar about the South American revolutionary leader. Because I like historical biopics and I’m always on the lookout for films and TV shows to give me more exposure to Spanish or French I decided to give it a go.

Three hour-long episodes in, I was enjoying the show but surprised to see the main character was still only a boy.
“Hmmm” I said to myself. “I wonder how long this series is?”
I looked it up. There’s sixty hour-long episodes in total. Good Lord. Some sizeable portion of Colombia’s GDP must have gone into this.

The series is pretty soapy and melodramatic at times. For example, it starts with a scene showing Bolívar leading his men across the Andes before going to his childhood in flshback. They’re mostly South American peasants with no shirts and they complain that they’re freezing to death. He gives them a stirring speech about how they don’t need warm clothes because they have honour and they’re fighting for freedom (POR LIBERTDAD!) and they stop freezing to death and keep going. Unsurprisingly given the hours it has to fill, it also goes down a lot of meandering sub-plots about Bolívar’s extended family and the management of their estates.

I’ve picked up some more Spanish (although you do need to be careful learning languages from historical films and TV shows, as you can pick up anachronisms). I’ve also learned some words and phrases which I suspect I won’t have much use for, like ‘estate’, ‘slave’ and ‘treason against His Majesty King Carlos IV’. But I’m about six hours in and still finding it interesting enough to keep going. Don’t know if I’ll make all sixty though.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Who knew that honor and liberty can keep you warm during winter!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The ultimate in green energy.