Marvel Movie Madness

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: Marvel Movie Madness

Post by Alatar »

I find it amusing that we have stuff as epic as Endgame and GoT and fanboys are still complaining. Which makes it all the more interesting when GRRM says this:
Saw the new Avengers movie last night. ENDGAME is amazing. Kudos to the writers and director. I cannot believe they got all those characters into one film, and still managed to do them all justice. The final battle was epic, exciting, thrilling, full of twists and turns… and strangely beautiful. But the character scenes earlier in the film really made it for me. The opening with Hawkeye, the Ant-Man scenes, Tony Stark’s moments communing with his helm… so many more. There’s plenty of action here, but this is not just A Big Dumb Action movie, of which there are far too many these days. Stan Lee would have been proud.
I wonder are the people complaining about Endgame the same ones complaining that GRRM would "never have written the final season like this..."
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Not to make this into a whole thing but.......I think GoT has become a giant flaming garbage dumpster fire.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

LOL! Aaaaand there ya go. We should take this to the GoT thread
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

I forgot to mention here. Not a big super-hero fan. But I really loved Endgame. :)
yovargas wrote:Not to make this into a whole thing but.......I think GoT has become a giant flaming garbage dumpster fire.
I agree with you there. Seasons 7 and 8 have just been incredibly dumb.(Seasons 5 and 6 were mostly meh)
That's just the writing though. The direction, design, effects, acting etc have mostly been consistent.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

yovargas wrote:Not to make this into a whole thing but.......I think GoT has become a giant flaming garbage dumpster fire.
That was my prediction when I read the first book (not really, I just hated it). I feel vindicated. ;)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

(re. the question I asked about Endgame on the previous page...)

Thanks, Yov. Yes, I agree, that was beautiful!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Inanna, I tagged you in a post on the GoT thread. I think you will get a chuckle out of my post. Please check it out!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

A chuckle? I think I split my side.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Glad you enjoyed it! :D
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I would have loved to have seen if with yov!

Holy mackerel! I thought I was spoiled for everything (what is WRONG with people who put spoilers into headlines!) but this was completely not what I had expected.

For one thing, it was actually super fun. A nice break from the grimdark apocalyptic movies. But they made it a character-centric movie, they made it about loss and endurance and hope.

Also, nice callouts to the comics in several places.

Minor gripes - not enough Bucky. Although since he and Sam are getting their own show, I can deal. Not enough Wakandans. And I do agree they took Fat Thor jokes a bit too far. On the other hand, they didn't give him a magical makeover before going into battle.

And now I just wish I could shut down my brain and stop thinking of all the ways Cap's timeline makes no -ing sense.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

DON'T THINK ABOUT IT AND JUST ENJOY THE FEELS! THE FEEEEEELS!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/63l9r ... Jyx5g&nd=1
Last edited by yovargas on Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The feels were superior feels.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

There is certainly a lot of stuff that probably doesn't make sense if you think about the time-travel stuff too hard (though that's just about always the case with time travel stories imo). Normally that kind of thing would it bother me. You know, it's usually important that a story actually makes sense! But in this case I found the whole way that they chose to tell this story so joyous and loving and beautiful, in the end I didn't care whether it made much logical sense. It's a story I'd rather not think about too much, and instead of just feel about too much. :love:
Last edited by yovargas on Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-The Decemberists

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

[Likes Yov's post...] Very true about time travel, Yov.

The best part of the movie for me was the way they handled Cap's timeline, whether it made sense or not! Yeah, yeah, maybe it was playing to his fans a bit, but everyone feels he deserved it!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Does anyone still care about spoilers? SPOILERS.

OK, I'm good now. What I missed initially is that Time Heist created alternate timelines, which will either never have happened once the Stones are returned to the time and place they have been taken or will exist in an alternative universe. That's why 2023 Nebula could kill 2014 Nebula and not disappear herself.

That means that Old!Cap came from an alternative timeline.

I am willing to live with plot inconsistencies of a SF nature, given minimal mumbo-jumbo that acknowledges the issue as it handwaves it away. But I want characters to be consistent and not just take whatever actions depending on the plot needs (my problem with Tony in CACW).

With the Old!Cap in "main" timeline, there is no way in the multiverse that Steve Rogers settled for quiet domestic life knowing that Hydra was taking over the organization that his wife created, while torturing and using his best friend, or stood by and let Howard be killed by Bucky. It's like a LOTR timeline where Strider sneaks into the Shire and murders Bilbo and Frodo to take the Ring for himself. It's just not within the range of choices a character can make.

I now choose to believe that Cap went to 1970, returned the Tesseract, kicked Hydra's tail for the third time, rescued Bucky, helped raise Tony minus most of his daddy issues, lived linearly until he returned the Time Stone in 2012, and pym-particled back to 2023.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Tom Holland is a ridiculously likeable actor and therefore Spiderman Far from Home is very hecking likeable, even if there are several things about it that don't quite work and feel pretty awkward.

https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/best- ... -george-4/
Last edited by yovargas on Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-The Decemberists

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Marvel will never know what they missed out on by not asking my uncle if they could use his Captain Canada character:
captainCanada.jpg
captainCanada.jpg (20.38 KiB) Viewed 13069 times
My ideal Marvel movie would be Captain America and Captain Canada sitting in a café and discussing philosophy and music, with not a single fight scene in sight.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

But what are Captain Canada's super powers?
-The Decemberists

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Well, it's too late to ask my uncle, so that would be up to the screenwriters.

I'm going to guess... an in-depth knowledge of philosophy and music?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well actually... :D

Captain Canada (Wikipedia)
Daniel Eaton, a young man from Montreal, was chosen by Captain Atlantis to become Captain Canada. His duty is to protect the nation of Canada and the freedoms it stands for. Captain Atlantis provided Daniel with a suit that granted him new supernatural physical and mental abilities. The suit is controlled by Daniel's mind, however all of the powers of the suit were not available to him immediately, Daniel needed to "unlock" new powers by proving himself worthy. The Captain earned his first ability, the power of flight, after saving a woman who was kidnapped by some thugs. While Captain Atlantis is Captain Canada's primary teacher, Captain Canada has also received help and advice from Captain Freedom and Mademoiselle. He is able to communicate telepathically with other heroes and has been trained to ascend to higher levels of consciousness and politeness.