Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
River
bioalchemist

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by River »

As one does...

Not sure if I should laugh or cry.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

This is beyond WTF and into flat out scary, but I'll still post it here.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... tended?amp

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I believe Cohen said something to the effect that Trump would never accept a peaceful transition of power. This would not surprise me. He's been trying to prime his followers for a violent rebellion should he not win the next election.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

The mother of a black school cafeteria worker murdered by a police officer who got away with it has donated $8000 to help pay the school lunch debts of students in this year's graduating class. Try to wrap your head around how many kinds of wrong that is.

USA Today
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

They've been doing the 'jelly sandwich' thing here for a long time (not that it makes it right). Just so many kinds of wrong going on generated by greed/hate. Good for them for taking the high road.

When I was in grade school (I think 5th / 6th grade) I would leave class and work in the cafeteria for a 'hot' school lunch. So many kids wanted/qualified for the ' work option' one could only do it half a year. The rest of the year I took a peanut butter sandwich & a carrot.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Cruz warns 'Space Force' needed to prevent space pirates
"Pirates threaten the open seas, and the same is possible in space. In this same way, I believe we too must now recognize the necessity of a Space Force to defend the nation and to protect space commerce and civil space exploration," Cruz said.
The Hill. Not The Onion.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

But wait, there's more. Here's actual Ted Cruz complaining to the confounder of Twitter that mean liberals are making fun of him.
Ted Cruz wrote:Hey @jack how come Twitter’s “moment” quotes all the snarky leftists making fun of my comments, but doesn’t include my tweets in response explaining the real point that NATIONS like China have already developed & tested weapons to destroy satellites? https://t.co/dwkM5ndXj3
Someone in the responses pointed out that agents of NATIONS are privateers, not pirates. That's the kind of pedantry that occasionally makes Twitter worthwhile.

Also, the Moment he linked to does include his tweet about NATIONS, and "making fun" is 80% quoting Cruz verbatim.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Frelga wrote:Cruz warns 'Space Force' needed to prevent space pirates
"Pirates threaten the open seas, and the same is possible in space. In this same way, I believe we too must now recognize the necessity of a Space Force to defend the nation and to protect space commerce and civil space exploration," Cruz said.
The Hill. Not The Onion.
Soooo.....he didn't realize that Guardians of the Galaxy was a work of fiction?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I spent an hour or so last night space pirating in Privateer (awesome 1993 computer game). The space force militia indeed fired several volleys of missiles my way, but I'm afraid they failed to dissuade me from my thieving ways. Sorry, Ted.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Reuters. Still not The Onion.
As tensions between Iran and the United States increase in the Middle East, the Pentagon briefing room is being used to host Gene Simmons of Kiss
https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status ... 4135614466

Do I even want to know more?

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Frelga wrote:But wait, there's more. Here's actual Ted Cruz complaining to the confounder of Twitter that mean liberals are making fun of him.
Ted Cruz wrote:Hey @jack how come Twitter’s “moment” quotes all the snarky leftists making fun of my comments, but doesn’t include my tweets in response explaining the real point that NATIONS like China have already developed & tested weapons to destroy satellites? https://t.co/dwkM5ndXj3
Someone in the responses pointed out that agents of NATIONS are privateers, not pirates. That's the kind of pedantry that occasionally makes Twitter worthwhile.

Also, the Moment he linked to does include his tweet about NATIONS, and "making fun" is 80% quoting Cruz verbatim.
Cruz is playing into a right-wing trope that social media companies are censoring them and the government should step in and regulate the terms of service of these private platforms. They seem to have forgotten that the First Amendment doesn't mean you are entitled to either a platform or an appreciative audience. Relevant xkcd.

To be fair, the big social media companies are BIG. It would probably do the market some favors to go anti-trust on them and break them up. But there is a certain irony conservatives demanding regulation of private businesses. And, of course, one must wonder why Cruz is playing the victim rather than try to defend his space pirate fantasy.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I find the course our country and its 'leaders' have taken to be so distressing, I've withdrawn from most social media.

I am reminded of a quote from Picasso when people criticized Guernica for being 'ugly'. The people wanted 'pretty' art and he responded, "The world today does not make sense so why should I paint pictures that do?" It was also the reason behind other art movements, like Dada and surrealism in response to WWI.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'll put this here, though it isn't so much a WTF as a "well, of course."

Michael Avenatti charged with stealing $300,000 from former client Stormy Daniels

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

At this point, the boundary between WTF and 'but of course' is highly porous. :nono:

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

My husband has this weary way of saying "but of course" in his language that perfectly captures the feeling. I imagine it came from practice.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Achomlishments

:roll:

Right up there with covfefe and smocking guns.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Pour me a double. Neat.

Either that or give me more of whatever that was at the cookout we went to on Monday. I'll give you freedom gas. More than you can handle.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

I... I'm not sure whether this is an awesome gift or a gawdawful gift...

https://www.shieldrepublic.com/collecti ... _HthkTdAi4

The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I like this one:

(#MAGA) :rofl: