Notre Dame is Burning :(

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Notre Dame is Burning :(

Post by Alatar »

A spokesman for the cathedral said the whole structure was "burning". "There will be nothing left," he said. "It remains to be seen whether the vault, which protects the cathedral, will be affected or not."
This is heartbreaking.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47941794

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... -live-news
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Notre Dame is Burning :(

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I just saw that on Facebook. I was in the middle of something so I couldn't look further, but I agree, it is shocking and very sad.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

They are saying the roof has collapsed. At least three of the beautiful stained glass windows are lost. This is terrible.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Oh my goodness. :(. This is awful.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

:cry: It's so hard to see such old and beautiful buildings lost or damaged when they've come so far through time.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

In comparison: the altar and pietà before the fire (link).

More pictures of the interior after the fire. Miraculously--and through the efforts of the Paris Fire Brigade--only a small part of the vaulted ceiling collapsed.

https://twitter.com/CathedraleNotre/sta ... 6654304256
https://twitter.com/CathedraleNotre/sta ... 1655016449
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I just read that the artwork was saved and the building can be restored.

It's a horrible day. But the church will remain standing.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Lhaewin

Post by Lhaewin »

It is not yet sure, if the famous windows and the organ can be saved. There are serious worries that the water used to stop the fire, has damaged the vault of the building.

On a personal note, this church meant a lot to me because I visited it on the rare occasions, when I could meet my birth mother. Today I can feel my French roots much more than usual.
How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Here's a pretty good sequence of events
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47947425
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Apparently, the French government owns the building, but didn't want to spend much money maintaining it.
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... -disrepair
The French government owns Notre Dame Cathedral, but apart from a small annual maintenance stipend of 2 million euros a year from the ministry of culture, and some limited repair works, it had done little to maintain it. To do so would violate France’s laws separating church and state, the government has argued.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Lhaewin wrote:On a personal note, this church meant a lot to me because I visited it on the rare occasions, when I could meet my birth mother. Today I can feel my French roots much more than usual.
I'm sure that this is particularly emotional for you, Lhaewin. My thoughts go out to you! :hug:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

I wonder if, that even though it's a functioning church, especially due to it's cultural heritage (especially as it's already designated a UNESCO World heritage site), that now there will be an argument for much more funding in the future as it is a heritage building. It's not "just" a religious building. I know someone with a masters in museum policies, and she said, it's pretty much the norm, that cultural treasures are taken for granted, and no one wants to pay for them. Until it's at risk or lost. Then everyone cares. :( I hope this is a lesson for governments the world over on the importance of adequately funding for the care and preservation of cultural landmarks like this. They really are a part of the cultural psyche of a place, and that is not even considering any scientific value. In this particular case, lets not forget the tourism value.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

My heart is forever in the Shire.