List of Books By and About Tolkien

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re:

Post by Alatar »

Elentári wrote:No one seems to have mentioned this book yet, so here it is!

Middle-earth Envisioned

New book reveals previously unprinted artwork and documents the portrayal of Middle-earth across the decades...

Over the decades, lots and lots of people have tried their hand at envisioning Middle-earth — in artwork, stage plays, musicals, television adaptations, comics, games, fan-art and, of course, animated and live action film.

Middle-earth Envisioned is a new, illustrated book From New York Times bestselling author Brian J. Robb and Paul Simpson, TV guide writer/reporter and the former editor of the Star Trek magazine, that comprehensively documents these portrayals of Middle-earth.
There is also an online excerpt viewable on the TORN page linked above.
I got this for my birthday and just finished it this morning. Not to sound cocky, but I thought I pretty much knew everything there was to know about the Tolkien productions on Radio, Stage and Cinema. I was pleasantly surprised to find some new nuggets in here. Since there's pretty much a chapter on each medium, by book, obviously something like PJ's LotR gets a fairly brief overview that's been covered in much more detail in other books. However, something like the BBC Jackanory Hobbit, or the first Radio Plays of The Hobbit and LotR get more coverage than you would expect. There's also a nice section of Tolkien inspired music, fan films, computer games etc. The book is sprinkled throughout with artwork from the likes of Howe, Lee and Nasmith, but also Jenny Dolfen, Anke Eissman and others.

One minor caveat. The version I have could really have done with a revised edition, since it finishes pretty much after the release of An Unexpected Journey, and still refers to the third movie as "There and Back Again". Still, all in all, well worth having in your collection.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Re: List of Books By and About Tolkien

Post by Elentári »

I'd forgotten about that book - thanks, Al! :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

This is scheduled for October:

The Art of The Lord Of The Rings

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lord-Rings-60th ... 008105758/

It will be available in the US too, but it does not appear to be a slipcased edition. This happened with the Art of the Hobbit. So I bought mine through Amazon.uk.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks for the reminder, as this had slipped out of my mind. But I am quite looking forward to it. I don't care about the slip case, so I will just get it through Amazon.com.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

Got my "Art of the Lord Of The Rings" from Amazon UK yesterday. I haven't had much time to go through it, but it seems substantially larger than Art of the Hobbit. I'm looking forward to going through it this weekend.
Voronwë the Faithful

My copy is due to arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to it!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Got mine also, but no time to look at it!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Mine arrived today. A quick look confirms that it is very meaty.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Who's the author, Frelga?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Joseph Loconte
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

This popped into my "recommended" feed on eNYPL:

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Fimi and Higgins gave a nice talk about "A Secret Vice" at Kalamazoo shortly before that book came out.
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm very happy for Andrew.
IdylleSeethes

Post by IdylleSeethes »

A search didn't turn this up:

The Fellowship: The Literary Lives of the Inklings, Philip Zaleski and Carol Zaleski, 2015

This isn't a recommendation, just an acknowedgement it exists. Its been sitting at the corner of my desk for 2 years as a stand for my wireless headphones.

I made it 2/3 through and stopped. The authors have a religious bent and the former Archbishop of Canterbury wrote a recommendation on the back cover.

I think I dropped it for awkward organization. Lots of detail.
Voronwë the Faithful

We found two new bookcases on Craigslist yesterday, and when we got home it occurred to me that my Tolkien books might fit nicely on one of them. Lo and behold, it is a perfect fit, as if I had the bookcase custom made.
Attachments
Tolkien bookcase.jpg
Tolkien bookcase.jpg (46.71 KiB) Viewed 23903 times
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

They look beautiful!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I agree!

What about a nice Tolkien-related carving or sculpture to put on top?
Voronwë the Faithful

I might put Gollum up there. Or I might just leave it for the living, feline statue of Legolas. ;)
JonasHS

Post by JonasHS »

A new book about and by Tolkien "Tolkien's Lost Chaucer" by John M. Bowers. Release date 2019/09/26
I am quoting the description "Tolkien's Lost Chaucer uncovers the story of an unpublished and previously unknown book by the author of The Lord of the Rings. Tolkien worked between 1922 and 1928 on his Clarendon edition Selections from Chaucer's Poetry and Prose, and though never completed, its 160 pages of commentary reveals much of his thinking about language and storytelling when he was still at the threshold of his career as an epoch-making writer of fantasy literature. Drawing upon other new materials such as his edition of the Reeve's Tale and his Oxford lectures on the Pardoner's Tale, this book reveals Chaucer as a major influence upon Tolkien's literary imagination."
https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0198842678/