America's Got Talent

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

America's Got Talent

Post by Lidless »

Yep, another slice of the good, the bad and the ugly with a nasty but honest British guy (I can't believe I just called Piers Morgan honest) as one of the three judges. This time, it's open to all talents, not just singing or dancing, and to groups too, not just solo artists. Neither is there an age restriction. This show truly is like a box of chocolates.

As ever, the early shows have a mix of Wow and Good Grief contestants, from a guy who can balance a cooker on his tongue, to rapping grannies, to an assortment of 'one-trick ponies'. However, when there are gems, there are gems.

To see what I mean, check out 11 yo Bianca Ryan's singing here:

http://www.nbc.com/Americas_Got_Talent/

I have never heard a voice like that for someone that age. And I doubt I ever will again.
It's about time.
Estel
In Need of Colour!!

Post by Estel »

I actually did really enjoy this show. Usually, one talent type show at a time is about all I can handle, but this one has some really comedic moments in it that make it worthwhile.

As well as the gems ;)
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Dang, that kid can sing! (Of course Michael Jackson could sing up a storm when he was a little kid, too.)

I haven't seen the program but I've seen commercials advertising it. My impression is that this is a 21st century version of The Gong Show. :D

If a comic with a paper sack over his head makes an appearance or a chubby man of African decent dances across the stage we'll know for sure. ;)

Gene, Gene the Dancing Machine
Last edited by Old_Tom_Bombadil on Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Old_Tom_Bombadil wrote:I haven't seen the program but I've seen commercials advertising it. My impression is that this is a 21st century version of The Gong Show. :D
Complete with undercover CIA assassin?

:help:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Speaking of Michael Jackson and Dancing Machines (track 17), you can hear some samples of the young phenom at Amazon.com:

Jackson 5: The Ultimate Collection

I suggest "ABC" (track 2), "Rockin' Robin" (track 12), and "I Wanna Be Where You Are" (track 15). Check out samples on some of the other albums at Amazon, like The Greatest Hits.

His voice changed for the worse when he hit puberty, though. After that the focus shifted to his dancing.