President Trump's good qualities

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Túrin Turambar

President Trump's good qualities

Post by Túrin Turambar »

During the Bush Administration, we had a thread on President Bush's good or appealing qualities. It didn't go particularly well. Still, given the heavy Democratic lean of this forum and in the spirit of the escaping the echo chamber, I thought we could try again. What do you find good, appealing or admirable about President Trump?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: President Trump's good qualities

Post by Primula Baggins »

For me: :scratch: I really can't think of a single thing. Probably the only living human being of whom I would say that.

I hope to be heartened and illuminated by others' responses.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

This question was famously asked of both candidates* during one of the campaign debates. I thought it was a great question. But I couldn't think of anything then and I can't think of anything now, and not for lack of effort. I can't recall ever feeling like any public figure in my lifetime was so wholly irredeemable.

*Hillary's answer was that he was a devoted father or something along those lines.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

He has somehow made me look back more favorably at George W. Bush and Ronald Reagan. I guess that is something.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'd say that, too. Wish I couldn't.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Even on the occasions when he takes a position I could call admirable, (a) his manner makes clear that it's something he's been told he has to say, and (b) he slides right back to his real position, sometimes within hours (or even within the same speech).
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Trump takes applause lines from his fan base, not positions.

I like the talk about reining in drug prices. But of course there's been no discernable action.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

Prim wrote:Even on the occasions when he takes a position I could call admirable, (a) his manner makes clear that it's something he's been told he has to say, and (b) he slides right back to his real position, sometimes within hours (or even within the same speech).
Really the only exception to that that I can think of was his support for the First Step Act, the criminal justice reform bill that was passed last month and Trump signed.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

I will give that Trump is not the worst person I can think of.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

He can, on occasion, provide an outlet for amusement.
Attachments
hamberders.jpg
hamberders.jpg (72.02 KiB) Viewed 16195 times
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Interesting to see a corporation openly poking fun at him on social media.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

He does easily provide a lot of fodder for comedians and the like.

Um, let's see. I think seems to show respect to law enforcement and military. It might be fake, though.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

He has maintained an amicable relationship with former wife Ivana, and he seems to be a supportive father.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful

Impenitent wrote:He has maintained an amicable relationship with former wife Ivana, and he seems to be a supportive father.

You mean the one who accused him of raping her, until she was bought off and sort-off retracted it.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

They still hang out; she still has a position within the organisation; he hosted her most recent wedding.

Now, I can't speak to the Machiavellian shenanigans they mutually engage in, but from the outside it looks amicable.

Hey, Túrin asked! I had to come up with something!

Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I do like the fact that he doesn't carefully focus-group, filter and sanitise everything he says in the very risk-averse fashion of many politicians. That, I think, is a major reason why he won the election.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yeah, like Túrin, I like the fact that he says what he thinks, even when I utterly disagree with everything he says. Politicians are so carefully groomed and prepared. Now, I know he's pandering to his base same as any other politician, and I know that many of the things he says are harmful, but in principle I like the idea that you get exactly what you voted for with him. Sorta. This is hard.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Lalaith wrote:He does easily provide a lot of fodder for comedians and the like.

Um, let's see. I think seems to show respect to law enforcement and military. It might be fake, though.

Donald Trump's comments about John McCain, Adm. William WcRaven, his absence at a Veteran's Day wreath laying, his treatment of Khizr Khan's parents ... I dunno. If Barack Obama said all that, would Republicans have called him respectful to the military?
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I did qualify it to say it could be fake. There are certainly plenty of clips/images out there of him schmoozing with police officers and the military. This plays very well with conservatives, and they like to plaster these images everywhere. It's one reason I was so surprised by his Veterans' Day shenanigans. He'd been careful before that to at least make a show of respect.

As for McCain, well, Trump is a terrible person, but we're supposed to be finding positive things to say.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

My sister, who is, to my genuine shock and bafflement, pro-Trump, once said to me that she likes Trump because "he is a man of action". I didn't inquire further to find out what exactly that means or what made her think Trump has that quality, but there you go.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists