Your favourite Tolkien artistes

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Your favourite Tolkien artistes

Post by Frelga »

A very good likeness. ;)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yes, of that Voronwë. ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The artist asks not to republish their work, but there are some gorgeous paintings on their tumblr, such as this Farewell to Boromir, as well as more lighthearted but adorable art.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful

Very nice!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

This is worth posting here. I had not been familiar with Joe Gilronan's work before I saw this on Facebook, but from the pictures here, it is pretty spectacular.

From the Shire to the Sea: The Art of Joe Gilronan (PRE-ORDER)

A couple of samples

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Wow, those are gorgeous, Voronwë! At the link, I think my favorite was the Fellowship at Rivendell.

The Moria painting reminds me a lot of paintings of scenery in the American West by nineteenth-century artists.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Just noting that the first picture that I linked to is showing up in my tapatalk feed, which is lovely.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh look, it has Sheep!

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

And now the second picture is showing up. That's lovely too. :)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Frelga wrote:Oh look, it has Sheep!
Yes, well, we like to honor our new members, you see. ;)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

LOTR illustrated in the style of Byzantine icons for a late Soviet translation. By Sergei Lukhimov.

Voronwë the Faithful

Hi Frelga! :love:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I saw these today and came here to make sure Frelga had linked them, as indeed she had. :love:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I have over time developed an appreciation for Cor Blok, and for Christmas I got his book "A Tolkien Tapestry." If you have even a mild fondness for his work, I recommend it - it has many more illustrations than the ones on his website!
Voronwë the Faithful

I saw this on Facebook today and I thought it was quiet lovely. It is called "That morning (Aegnor and Andreth)" by Elena Kukanova.Image

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

A great picture indeed! I searched for her name, and here is her depiction of Maglor (a character who has always fascinated me):

Voronwë the Faithful

I did the same search, and found the same picture, and had the same reaction. That picture really captures Maglor's weary beauty.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

So we've been emptying my dad's house, and coming across many things from my childhood that I haven't seen or thought about in years. This is a portrait of Bilbo that my uncle did - it must have been in the 60's, at least. I think it used to hang in my room before I even knew what it was. My parents encouraged me to read The Hobbit as soon as they thought I was old enough, and when I was well into the story, they mentioned, "By the way, you know that picture that Uncle Don drew of the guy in bare feet with a pipe? That's Bilbo."
bilbo.jpg
bilbo.jpg (19.51 KiB) Viewed 17142 times
So this is probably my first exposure to the Tolkien Legendarium.
Voronwë the Faithful

That is so incredibly cool!!!!!!!11 And quite a nice representation, despite the beard.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Wow!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude