Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: Nature Pics

Post by yovargas »

I have grown very fond of them because they are clearly a mated couple who have chosen out office area as their nesting grounds. Whenever I see them, the mama and papa are always together. About once a year, they'll show up with one or two fuzzy little ones following them around. I think I've seen maybe four of their younglings come and go but the parents always come back together. I have named them Isabelle and Lawrence and they are great. :love:

eta - and yes, they're sandhill cranes. Another thing I love about them is that they are hilariously fearless. They hang out right around our offices and totally don't care if there are people or cars around, if you need to go by, you're the one moving, not them. I've driven by close enough where I could almost touch them and they're huge, almost as tall as my car!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

They are lovely! I didn’t know they were so tall!

We have two Canadian Geese couples like that back in NY. They can attack though - milking their dinosaurs’ genes.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Lalaith wrote:Oh, yes!!! You should love them! Sandhills? They fly over in large flocks as they migrate, and they make the neatest sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EckKXUersb8

The smaller feathered dinosaurs at work yesterday were very alarmed by (and vocal about) the larger feathered dinosaur perched at the top of a tree, hunting them. :D
Thank you for posting that, Lali! I've never seen them in nature, and they're beautiful in flight. But the sound they make is stunning. Eerie.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

You're welcome, Prim. They are an impressive sight, whether they are flying overhead or whether they're walking in a field. I've only seen them once on the ground. I don't think they're normally fond of hanging out in Ohio; they just migrate overhead. When they do migrate, the skeins are enormous, hundreds of birds; and they're flying higher than in this video, so their eerie calls sound eerier, being so far up in the sky and distant.

yovi, I love that you have Isabelle and Lawrence (and their babies)! :love: And I didn't realize they were as fearless as our Canada geese. I swear, the geese are basically like, "F*ck you, #^$&*@! I ain't movin'. You move YOUR f*cking car!"

(I know people think Canadians are polite and don't swear, but Ohio Canadians do.)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Lalaith wrote:yovi, I love that you have Isabelle and Lawrence (and their babies)! :love: And I didn't realize they were as fearless as our Canada geese. I swear, the geese are basically like, "F*ck you, #^$&*@! I ain't movin'. You move YOUR f*cking car!"
I prefer to think that they are too refined and classy to respond like that. They're more like "Excuse me commoner but we we are currently using this space so kindly be moving along now." :D

As a general aside, I think it's super interesting that some animals apparently mate for life.
-The Decemberists

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I was surprised to see sea horses on a list of animals that mate for life. Such tiny brains! It's amazing that they manage it.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

yovargas wrote:
Lalaith wrote:yovi, I love that you have Isabelle and Lawrence (and their babies)! :love: And I didn't realize they were as fearless as our Canada geese. I swear, the geese are basically like, "F*ck you, #^$&*@! I ain't movin'. You move YOUR f*cking car!"
I prefer to think that they are too refined and classy to respond like that. They're more like "Excuse me commoner but we we are currently using this space so kindly be moving along now." :D
No, no the geese are definitely like, "F- you, f- your car, f- your sidewalk and your lawn. You wanna start something, a-hole? Huh? Huh?"
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Oh yes, those peasant geese are for sure. I was talking about the regal and elegant sandhill cranes. :D
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

And then there are the wild turkeys. I truly never knew until I met them in the Safeway parking lot that they really go "Gobble-gobble."
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Frelga wrote: No, no the geese are definitely like, "F- you, f- your car, f- your sidewalk and your lawn. You wanna start something, a-hole? Huh? Huh?"
“And look at me, I am going to shit all over your place. Whatcha gonna do about that, huh?”
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

More on “nature around you”:

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

All the critters were out of view, but these pics are worth sharing.

(I can't tell if these are too big; I'm on Tapatalk and they're automatically resized.)

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Can you spot Whale Rock? It really is one rock.

Do I count as a critter? :D

Last edited by Impenitent on Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

A lovely one!

And Whale Rock is, well, a whale rock.

:love:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Uzdisprettyperson? :love:
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Oh yes! Pictures: it snowed in my area, biggest snow storm since the 90's, most snow in Feb since 1916!

I think we got something like 2' at my place. The snow was dumping down when I took these pictures, several more hours of snowfall than is shown!

The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I know living with snow is tiresome, but it’s still pretty, and I still feel a happy echo of “No school tomorrow!” when I look out at falling snow.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Vacationing in the snow is lovely. Snow in the city is just a mess.

My son is experiencing a real winter now and it's giving me flashbacks.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Primula Baggins wrote:I know living with snow is tiresome, but it’s still pretty, and I still feel a happy echo of “No school tomorrow!” when I look out at falling snow.
LOL well I took those pictures to justify my "no work today!" message to my boss on Tuesday :D And yes, it is so peaceful and beautiful to watch the snow fall, and the birds took over the porch feeders - and were very grateful for them! I was even rather productive inside, so it wasn't lost time at all.

This is the first appreciable snowfall we've had in years, so that's good news for summer water supply, too.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

So pretty! Snow is such a novelty to me. I wonder if there will be snow in New Hampshire when we're there?