The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by Jude »

Has anyone seen the new Robin Hood? The reviewer in my local paper gave it an unprecedented zero out of five stars. I've never seen that before; as far back as I can remember, giving 1/2 or 1 star was the very worst insult they could give a movie.

Which now makes me want to see it, to see just how bad it can actually be...
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I haven't seen it, but the trailer makes it look ghastly. And I'm saying that as someone who enjoys a good bad movie. This just looks meh.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

There was an hour-long special on TV last night, plugging the new Mary Poppins movie! It just looks like SO much fun, I can't wait!

And, of course, the nostalgia will probably have me in tears!

If you've seen the trailer, you will know that Dick Van Dyke makes a return appearance as the son of the director of the bank, and at 91 years old, this incredible man can still bust a move! :love:

He says the movie and the cast remain true to the spirit of the original, which means there was a very special, warm feeling on the set between the cast members.

The special told several heart-warming stories I hadn't heard before. For instance, during the filming of the original, Julie Andrews took time on her day off to help Karen Dotrice (who played Jane Banks) do the song the children sing at the start of the film, where they list their requirements for a nanny.

Here's the official trailer:

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

yovargas wrote:I actually ended up watching that last night. Viggo and Ali are both very good in it though the movie in general, while pleasant, is ultimately fairly forgettable imo.
Hmmm. Well, it would be one I would watch on Netflix or Amazon Prime. It did spark my interest in the Green Books, though, and I realized it was Viggo when I saw the trailer during Bohemian Rhapsody.

Al, I was waiting to hear what you thought of the film, too. :)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

BoRhap up for Best Picture and Best Actor in the Golden Globes!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I haven't seen it so I have no opinion but that is a big surprise considering critics didn't show it any love.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yeah, but the Globes always seem to be more the popular choice than the critical choice. I'm not surprised about Rami Malek, who could well get the nod from the Academy also. Best Picture is more of a stretch. I loved it, but its hardly art!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

One of these years, I won't have to Google 83% of nominated artists, but it's not this year. At least I know who Rami Malek is.

I don't think I've ever seen Mission Impossible 2 before. It's pretty bad.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

I am likely the last person on earth to see Shawn of the Dead. :doh:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Nope! I've not seen it! :D
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I saw part of it. What I saw was funny, except for the zombie-movie humor where you are supposed to laugh at hideous violence. So not my thing.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I haven't seen it, but it doesn't seem like it would be my thing, either. :help:

elengil

Post by elengil »

Yeah, the honey wanted me to watch it so badly. I don't think I'll ever be watching it again. But it did have it's funny moments.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

That movie is so brilliant! But if gore bothers you than probably not one to check out. :)
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I edit medical books, including, not too long ago, a book on orofacial surgery that included how to reconstruct someone’s face after it’s been blasted with a shotgun at close range, or after they’ve tried to kill themselves shooting from under the chin up. There were color photos, step by step. I had to check them all against the legends and the text. After that, I just can’t laugh at that kind of gore; I’ve seen the after photos and it would be very hard to live looking like that.

Not judging, not at all. Just saying why I can’t handle it. It’s my experience, not anyone else’s.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

We saw the second Fantastic Beasts movie yesterday. I'm not sure what to make of it. It did seem overly convoluted, but on the other hand, I do find myself looking forward to seeing the next installment, to a much greater extent than when I finally watched The Last Jedi (which I thought was so "meh" that I didn't even bother to mention here that I had seen).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:.... I finally watched The Last Jedi (which I thought was so "meh" ...
... yeah.... :nono:
was a 2020 planner.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

It was much better than that silly A New Hope movie, IMO. :D
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

yov, I love you to death, but one thing we have established over the years is that your taste in movies is often … not mine.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

yovargas wrote:It was much better than that silly A New Hope movie, IMO. :D
:table_flip: :rage: :pccrash: :burned:

(also, we need a table_flip smilie)
was a 2020 planner.