Prayer Thread

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Re: Prayer Thread

Post by WampusCat »

What a shock that must be. How very sad. Praying that nobody spouts the line "God must have needed another angel" or "You can just have another."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

WampusCat wrote:Praying that nobody spouts the line "God must have needed another angel"
If anyone ever said that to me after I lost a child, I think I'd punch them. As if God goes around murdering children so He can fill up Heaven or something. :x
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

My co-worker's husband is in the middle of the cancer treatment, which will change his quality of life forever even as the best case scenario. Meanwhile, his wife is close to losing her job. She carries his insurance. He's a small business owner, I don't know if it's possible for him to get a policy while he is getting treatment. I'm hearing the pre-existing conditions provisions of Obamacare are getting cut.

I'm trying to get her an extension. It's out of my hands now, someone else will make that call. So in the absence of a civilized health care system, can I please have thoughts and prayers?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I will pray. :( This system is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'll pray, too.

I think there's hope that he can get a policy, though. Eliminating coverage for pre-existing conditions is more of a dream the healthcare conservatives have than a reality they've yet been able to bring into being. And there may be protections in place against that change in your state (as there are in mine). And your state is even more liberal than mine.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Thank you. I hope I'm being overly dramatic and this is not a scenario with a non-zero probability of a man dying because his wife made mistakes on a spreadsheet. I'm just frustrated with the whole thing. For the record, I'd like to keep her regardless, because otherwise I will have to deal with a ton of things that are Not My Job.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Wow, I stared that sentence a full minute, making sure I was untangling the double negative properly.

I hope it is a scenario with zero probability of a man dying because his wife made mistakes.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Frelga, your co-worker and her husband, and you yourself, will be in my thoughts.

As Prim stated, the elimination of pre-existing condition protection is still a dream of conservatives, rather than a reality (and in fact Mr. Trump has taken to falsely state that it is Democrats that are trying to eliminate protections for pre-existing conditions and Republicans that are working to preserve those protections, but that is a discussion for another forum), and in our state even if that nightmare scenario became real we are still likely to preserve the protections statewide. But even so, policies on the exchanges can be quite expensive (though they might be eligible for subsidies if their income level is low enough if your co-worker loses her job) and the system is still heavily weighted in favor of people who are able to get health insurance through their work.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Frelga, holding you all in my thoughts.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Thank you all for talking me down. I was starting to feel like I was about to personally order an execution. In any case, the employee got an extension, and hopefully that will be enough time for her husband to get through the majority of treatments even if she gets laid off in the end.

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Rachel Held Evans died. :( I realize many of you probably won't know who she is. (I couldn't help but think that Prim would've shared my sorrow, and she is not here either to do so. :bawl: So I am doubly heartbroken.)

Anyway, I can't emphasize enough how her writings took my hand and led me out of the oppression of fundamentalism and complementarianism. She was brilliant, fearless, and fierce while remaining kind, gracious, and thoughtful. And she was too damn young to die! :x Progressive Christianity has lost a powerful voice.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/anxiousbe ... hwHoBq6kig
Voronwë the Faithful

I saw a headline about her passing, but of course it just said something like "prominent Christian writer dies at 37" without any context. She sounds like she was a special person. :hug:

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I’m sorry, Lali. :hug:
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I saw people mention her with much the same emotion as you did, Lali. I'm sorry, she sounds like she was a force for good. May her memory be for blessing.

Voronwë the Faithful

The silver lining is that her writings can continue to be a force for good.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That is a comfort, V.

Thanks, everyone. :grouphug:
Voronwë the Faithful

:hug:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

My father-in-law passed away. He was 91 and yesterday was the first day when he needed a wheelchair inside the house. He was a good man who raised a good son and helped raise a good grandson. His memory will be for blessing.

Voronwë the Faithful

I am so sorry for your loss, Frelga. You and your husband and your family will be in my thoughts. :hug:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Sorry, Frelga. :(. I know how close you were to him. Big hugs to you and your DH. How is your son taking it?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude