Musicals and Operas

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: Musicals and Operas

Post by Alatar »

Congrats Dave. Singing is just talking at different pitches. Try this. "I really hate that guy" then "OMG I'm so excited". See how they sound different? Thats singing ;)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Well hey; my scene with Scrooge amounts to the former (with just a touch of "but he scares the crap out of me"), and my little Christmas song boils down to the latter, so I should be all set now. Thanks!
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

I don't want to start a new thread for this and my motivation for wanting to know is musical-related, so here goes: if a piece of music has a tempo marker at the start giving a certain number of beats per minute, then there are multiple tempo changes along the way (e.g. several poco rits a few measures apart) followed by an a tempo, does that a tempo mean to go back to the original speed indicated in the beginning, or just to undo the most recent change?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Jude would be better for this, but I would assume the first tempo.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Alatar is correct.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I concur (player of orchestral music).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Sounds like a pretty solid consensus. Long story medium: they're putting me in the "backstage chorus" too for the big numbers where my character isn't around, which means I have to learn to sing in parts on top of everything else. I've been entering the score into this musical composition program so I isolate each one and listen to it individually, but computers aren't great with complex instructions that leave the details to the performer's discretion, so I need to specify an exact tempo in BPM anywhere I want a change.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Dave_LF wrote:And speaking of which... they didn't learn their lesson last time, and I somehow got myself cast again. :shock: In a musical this time. :shock: :shock: Alongside my seven-year-old daughter. :shock: :shock: :shock:

It's Scrooge!, and I'm Bob Cratchit. H gets to play various children as needed (not Tiny Tim).

So someone tell me quick; how do you sing?
Singing is like screaming. You open your mouth, engage your vocal cords, and create tones many people were not naturally inclined to produce from their bodies. If you do it well, people like it. If you don't... well... singing is like screaming...
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I am a bit loopy from sniffling all night, and now I want a Star Trek episode where the captain yells, "Engage the vocal cords!"
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:I am a bit loopy from sniffling all night, and now I want a Star Trek episode where the captain yells, "Engage the vocal cords!"
:rotfl:

Just... whatever you do.... do NOT google image that :shock: :help:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

elengil wrote:Singing is like screaming.
I'm afraid you're more right than you know! Especially when they try to make me, an amateur with a bass voice, sing an Eb4.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

elengil wrote:
Frelga wrote:I am a bit loopy from sniffling all night, and now I want a Star Trek episode where the captain yells, "Engage the vocal cords!"
:rotfl:

Just... whatever you do.... do NOT google image that :shock: :help:
Unfortunately, now I don't need to. :Q
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

That bad huh? :)
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I enjoyed it. I just forgot to comment :oops:
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

That was amusing. Who's cheering in the background? And opening night is tomorrow?! :shock: Be sure to fracture various tibiae and femurs.

I covered up the window at one point and briefly thought you had LMM in the car with you...
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Opening night!

Break a leg!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That's so cool! And what Voronwë said.

:love:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh, cool! Break a leg (but not literally!).