The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by Primula Baggins »

So, Tom and I saw Incredibles 2. Enjoyed it (not as much as the first one, though—more Edna Mode! More Edna Mode!). But it was perfect for a Sunday matinee followed by cocktails and a couple of appetizers at our favorite restaurant. I could get used to this not-working-50-hours-a-week thing.

Next up (probably): Crazy Rich Asians. As you can see, we are thoughtfully seeking out the most intellectually stimulating cinematic experiences we can get into for $5.50.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Glad to hear you are getting a little time for some well deserved fun and relaxation. :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

You sweet yov, you. :hug:

Yes. This is a sea change. I love it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:love:
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

TIL that the first 3-D movie with the red/blue glasses was in 1922!

Slightly less off topic, did you see the trailer for the modern-day version of The Little Women? I can't see how that would work.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Finally saw Black Panther.

So far behind on movies. I'm beholden to Netflix streaming. Which will no longer have Marvel movies, soon. Not sure what I'll do then :nono:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh, can we lure you into the MCU thread? :)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

lol probably.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Edna reminds me of Hetty from NCIS Los Angeles. I wonder if there is any connection between the two!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Sunsilver wrote:Edna reminds me of Hetty from NCIS Los Angeles. I wonder if there is any connection between the two!
:agree:
Last edited by Frelga on Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

The first Incredibles movie debuted in 2004. NCIS: Los Angeles had its debut in 2009.

However, a Google search leaves the question up in the air:

http://mikelynchcartoons.blogspot.com/2 ... ed-on.html

Linda Hunt's role in Kindergarten Cop could have been an inspiration, too.

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
yovargas wrote:I rewatched Alien over the weekend. I was really struck by how gorgeous the movie is. It's a pre-CG movie so all the effects are physical and in so many ways, it looks so much better than most modern movies. With all our tech advances, it's still hard to beat great physical sets and models. The creature effects do look pretty dated but everything else is so great.

That was such a big part of LOTR’s success is having all those great sets and physical locations. I'm not sure why so few people in Hollywood noticed and learned that lesson.
Including, arguably, the filmmaker who was responsible for that success!

Hey look, it's a big ol' CG fest from Peter Jackson!
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Well, that looks really bad!

ETA: Just to clarify, Jackson is not the director of that film, Christian Rivers is, though Jackson, Walsh and Boyens wrote the screenplay.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Speaking of CGI fests, I watched the 2016 Jungle Book. It has its moments, but it can't decide if it wants to be original Disney sweet or gritty, and does both badly. The animals are almost but not quite, lifelike, crossing into creepy when they talk and their faces move like humans'.

I also wish script writers would consider that writers whose books are still beloved decades or centuries after their death are probably really good at this writing thing, and using their stories and words is probably going to work better than making things up from scratch. That's true for Tolkien and it's true for Kipling.

*Hipsters off to watch the 1970s Soviet animation, which is still the best*

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Aww, I really liked that new Jungle Book. I thought the CGI was just about the most impressive I've ever seen! Then again, I have no familiarity with any of the prior versions so I have nothing to compare it to.

I've heard some wild rumors that some people on this message board kinda like that Terry Pratchett guy so some of them might be interested to see this:
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That looks better than I have ever hoped. Tenant is dream casting for Crowley.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Holy cow!!! That would get me back to watching TV.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Aziraphale is perfect, too, although I don't know the actor.
Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide.
And the rest of it:
Two of these were wrong; Heaven is not in England, whatever certain poets may have thought, and angels are sexless unless they really want to make an effort. But he was intelligent. And it was an angelic intelligence which, while not being particularly higher than human intelligence, is much broader and has the advantage of having thousands of years of practice.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I agree. Both of them are perfect. I don’t know either of them... but that trailer is perfect.

I had imagined Aziraphale taller, though.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

First Man

Very strong film – a great example of what you can actually do with the cinematic medium.

From a technical perspective, it follows the same pattern of eschewing CGI in favour of grittily realistic practical effects as Dunkirk. This makes it feel very real, particularly the claustrophobia of being trapped in a small violently shaking space capsule with the world spinning outside a small window. The use of sound adds a lot to the experience, particularly as the visuals are often dark, obscured, or in rapid motion. And from a character perspective, the acting is great and I thought the human elements worked very well. Gosling’s portrayal of Neil Armstrong is very understated, but (from my understanding) this matches his very reserved character. I thought it was emotionally engaging without being maudlin or saccharine, both of which were a risk given the subject matter.

I’m not familiar enough with the events to comment on the historical accuracy, although I saw everything I expected. There was an excruciating minute or so during one scene (those familiar with the Apollo program will know which one) when I knew exactly what was going to happen and found myself hoping it wasn’t going to be too difficult to watch. I’ll be curious to find out how close it struck to real events.

I’m surprised no-one has made a film like this before. It’ll be interesting to see how it holds up long-term against Apollo 13 in the canon of realistic space films. I’m also glad I went to the Space and Rocket Center as well, as having a real sense of the scale of the Saturn V helped put things in context.