The saddest songs in the world

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Maria
Hobbit

Re: The saddest songs in the world

Post by Maria »

My mom used to sing the first verse of "You are my sunshine" to me when I was little. It doesn't seem sad at all to me.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

After the way "You Are My Sunshine" is used at the climactic moment of Jerome Bixby's classic SF short story "It's a Good Life," the song has always given me a bit of a chill.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

This is a wonderful thread. :)

Currently, Johnny Cash's "Hurt" gives me the feels. I relate to it on a very personal level.

'Bratja' from the anime "Fullmetal Alchemist" is another heartbreaking song.

The song is originally in Russian. There's an English version too but it lacks the punch imo. The anime is about two brothers who, after losing their mother, try to bring her back to life by attempting tabooed human alchemy. But things go wrong and as a result the older brother loses an arm and the younger his entire body as a 'sacrificial exchange'. The song is about both the brothers trying to take the blame for the entire accident upon themselves. (It's an excellent anime as well. The only fantasy-fiction that I love, after Tolkien.)
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Yup, watching the video of Hurt made me shed a few tears the first time I saw it. Seeing June there with Johnny was a real gut-punch, because I thought the video had been done after she died.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

narya wrote:"Something Wonderful" from The King and I. The favorite of someone I knew who was in an abusive relationship, yet still madly in love.
Goodness, another entry from a musical! I definitely would not have thought that would be the first thing on many people's minds.

Sunny - Oops, yes, I knew you were referring to "You are my Sunshine" just kept saying the wrong name, hehe. And the version I have does include the full, sad verses.
Last edited by yovargas on Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

yovargas wrote: Goodness, another entry from a musical! I definitely would not have thought that would be the first thing on many people's minds.
Probably because they have the advantage of context.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Yeah, context is everything. I'd seen 'The Lion King' and none of the music particularly affected me. Then, I was watching an episode of Code Black that featured 'He Lives in You'.

A young boy was in the hospital with his father. They were very close; all that the other person had in this world.

The boy found out his father's illness was terminal, but he was reluctant to let him go.

Parellel to this story, one of the lead singers from The Lion King was in the hospital, Alton Fitzgerald White, who in real life has played Mufasa (Simba's father) on Broadway over 4,000 times. As the machines are turned off, and the boy's father slips away, White and the Lion King cast sing "He Lives in You"

Here's how the scene plays out. You will likely need some tissues:

This was absolutely one of the best things I've seen on TV in many years.

An added punch to the scene is Dr. Rorish, the female doctor who is crying, lost her whole family in a car crash, so she knows something of what the boy is going through.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'm normally a sucker for anything sad, and I love the Lion King, but curiously that had no impact on me?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Alatar, you're only seeing several minutes of an hour long show. Seeing it in its full context would help. Also, I had the background of knowing the back stories of the regulars on the show, and watching things develop over 2 seasons.

And like anything else, music is a very individual thing. What tugs at the heartstrings is different for every person.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Not sure if this qualifies as one of the saddest, but it's one of the ones I like to listen to when I feel like crying.

The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

I was going to post this one with the last but I could not for the life of me remember the artist's name. Finally managed to hunt it down, though!

The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm going to try one more from my doppelganger (although my hair has never been quite this long and wild). I have always found this song, Stella Blue, to be hauntingly beautiful. Your mileage may vary.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

This is a song that makes me cry happy tears. Those of you who know Pete Seeger will know he was blacklisted during the McCarthy era due to his leftist leanings. Yes, he was at one time, a member of the Communist party, but that was due to the way workers were being exploited by the rich bosses. To his dying day, Pete stood up for the common man, the worker, and the unions. He left the party in 1949, after becoming aware of Joe Stalin's atrocities.

That did not stop him from being blacklisted and called before the Un-America Activities Commission. The blacklist didn't end until the mid-sixties, when he and his wife, Toshi, began a program called Rainbow Room (see the above clip of Tommy Makem on that same program).

Rainbow Room kept a pretty low profile, but when Pete was asked to guest star on the Smothers Brothers TV show, and sang 'Waist Deep in Big Muddy', well that was a different story! The network censored the song, as this was the Vietnam war era, and that song was a war protest.

Pete was also involved in the civil rights movement, and took part in the 50 mile long march from Selma to Montgomery. His song, "We Shall Overcome" became the anthem of the movement.

Anyway, to get back to the song he and Bruce did at the inauguration - most people don't realize it's actually a protest song. That's because they don't sing all the verses, the way he and Bruce did on that day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnvCPQqQWds

Here's another clip, that gives the history of the song. In this Trump era of flag-waving and forced patriotism (MY country, right or wrong!) it's something we all need to be aware of:

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Original version of the song, as written by Woody:
Attachments
Original version of This Land resized.jpg
Original version of This Land resized.jpg (121.2 KiB) Viewed 11853 times
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

That was beautiful, Sunny. Thank you for sharing it.
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Even America the Beautiful is not as vapid as it appears from the only verse that is usually performed.

America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
Till selfish gain no longer stain
The banner of the free!

Eta: and "My country, right or wrong" goes on to "if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.” (Schurz, Carl, remarks in the Senate, February 29, 1872, The Congressional Globe, vol. 45, p. 1287.) https://en.m.wikiquote.org/wiki/Stephen_Decatur
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Thanks, Frelga!

I'm sure you understand why (unquestioned) patriotism and flag-waving sets my teeth on edge.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I think the Gorecki Symphony No.3 (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs) is the saddest music I have ever heard.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh, I can't even include classical music. I could never choose.

I agree with several suggestions here, and I'd offer this one by Sufjan Stevens:

John Wayne Gacy, Jr.

<shudder> If those last lines don't punch you in the gut, I don't know what would.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Oh goodness, yes, somehow I had forgotten about that song but it would it definitely make my list. It is all kinds of tragic. :cry:

:P )
-The Decemberists