Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Trump's America

Post by Frelga »

JUST IN: Matt Dunlap, member of Trump’s former voter fraud commission, publishes trove of records, finds zero evidence of mass voter fraud, says claims from White House “were, in fact, false."

His letter to WH: https://t.co/nok74aEZFR

The documents: https://t.co/sasj7s7ycT https://t.co/J2epPfBVMB
https://twitter.com/dominicholden/statu ... 2173264896

Full story https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/do ... -the-white
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

BREAKING NEWS: The US President made false and unsubstantiated claims. Also, the sun is hot and water is wet.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

The Washington Post has a journalist keeping tabs on the 'untruths' emanating from Trump.

I remain gobsmacked that American politics have come to this.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-fr ... on-purpose

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

I'm not being reasonable because I recognize the difference between interference and collusion.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

So, Bob Woodward's book has been reviewed, and as we might expect, it's got more of the same to say about Trump's presidency. Only Woodward has his reputation as an experienced journalist and investigator to back him up:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/04/politics ... index.html

I guess the most shocking thing to me is his aides removing papers from his desk so he wouldn't see them or sign them.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Knowing Bob Woodward, he also has most of his conversations on tape.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

He does, and all transcribed by his assistant. He confirmed that in his utterly surreal phone conversation with the president, which he recorded with permission and released the other day. I strongly recommend listening to it. It is an eye-opener and no mistake!

ETA: You can listen to it here

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

And of course, now everyone is claiming: "I NEVER SAID THAT!!"

Very smart of Bob to tape interviews. But after all this time, he knows how these things work, and knows he must have concrete proof.
In separate statements Tuesday afternoon, Kelly denied that he called Trump an "idiot," Dowd denied using the "orange jump suit" phrase and Mattis said the quotes attributed to him were "a product of someone's rich imagination."
The White House accused Woodward of spreading "fabricated stories" about Trump.
"This book is nothing more than fabricated stories, many by former disgruntled employees, told to make the President look bad," White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said. "While it is not always pretty, and rare that the press actually covers it, President Trump has broken through the bureaucratic process to deliver unprecedented successes for the American people. Sometimes it is unconventional, but he always gets results."
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful

I have never in all of my years seen anything like this, or even imagined that it could happen.
The New York Times wrote:The Times today is taking the rare step of publishing an anonymous Op-Ed essay. We have done so at the request of the author, a senior official in the Trump administration whose identity is known to us and whose job would be jeopardized by its disclosure. We believe publishing this essay anonymously is the only way to deliver an important perspective to our readers.
I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I've read it. I agree with some of the comments I've seen on Twitter: this is pretty clearly an attempt to calm down people frightened by Trump so they will be willing to consider voting for him in 2020. The writer points with obvious pride to some of what I consider the most egregious sabotage committed by the Trump administration. We are to trust this person and his (almost certainly "his") fellow "grown-ups" to prevent anything that, in their judgment, would be bad for the country, so that they can carry on with the rest of the Trump agenda unchallenged.

I'm not buying it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

I couldn't disagree with that more

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Trump's America

Post by Inanna »

<removed>
Last edited by Inanna on Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Whoever wrote this is an enabler.

It's terrifying. It implies that the POTUS is incapacitated. It implies that the people no one elected are in charge. And it implies that no one's seeking to alter the situation because they fear the consequences. Not just the constitutional crisis - though if the anonymous author wanted to stave that off s/he would never have written this piece because, my friends, as of now we are in one - but the loss of power the President's enablers would endure. There is a mechanism for removing a President who is unfit. One is Amendment 25, which admittedly has never been used in this capacity but the process is outlined. The other is impeachment, which we already know how to make work.

Strap in. There's no way off this ride.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

The 25th amendment has been used lots and lots of times --- on TV.

As alarming as the op-ed is I don't see anything new in it, not really. All the stuff the author talks about has been obvious for along time -- that Trump loves him some dictators, that many in his administration try to rein him in, that he's an unstable, emotional dimwit.
The writer points with obvious pride to some of what I consider the most egregious sabotage committed by the Trump administration.
I must have missed that part of the op-ed. I didn't see anything like that.

I rather think the author wants to see the Trump administration ended sooner rather than later, if he had his way. If I had to guess, by replacing him on the 2020 ticket.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

From https://twitter.com/MikeDrucker/status/ ... 9510600704
IMG_20180905_160938.jpg
IMG_20180905_160938.jpg (35.17 KiB) Viewed 5859 times
Inanna, I want the entire forum to be private because apparently I am unable to keep myself from posting here.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

I have no idea why a forum for political debate would need to be private.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Faramond wrote:I have no idea why a forum for political debate would need to be private.
Aaah. Wow.

I’m getting off this train.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Inanna wrote:
Faramond wrote:I have no idea why a forum for political debate would need to be private.
Aaah. Wow.

I’m getting off this train.
What a strange response that seems to have no relation to what I actually said. I feel like I'm in a Kafka story.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Yep, now posters are removing posts for no discernible reason. I'm definitely in a Kafka story.

You know, I'm not saying I'm opposed -- I just found it a really odd request with no obvious ( to me ) rationale. Voronwë will do whatever he wants regarding the privacy thing, of course.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Faramond, I will respond to you in Bag End, with my rationale. And I will try and do it sooner, rather than later.