The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by Inanna »

I’m with you Yov, just can’t get myself to care about that guy even a whit.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

[Totally agrees with Inanna and the others about Cruise]
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I don't care much about Cruise either way, but this clip was amusing:

And it really does appear that Cruise loves sky diving.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Blackkklansman

I really liked it. Oddly but satisfyingly, it managed to combine the sort of comedy-of-errors you’d expect from having a black man pass himself off as a white supremacist with some genuine and serious commentary on extremism without suffering (to me at any rate) from a tonal mish-mash. It was funny when it intended to be, but intense and suspenseful at times. I thought the Black Panthers were more well-rounded than the Klan members, some of whom were played straight for laughs, but at least one comes across as sympathetic. I also liked the slightly pulpy style of filming with the posters, split screens and cuts to Birth of a Nation. And the 70s aesthetic, as well. Definitely entertaining.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I saw Blackkklansman a few weeks ago. I thought it was reasonably entertaining but I had a lot of issues with it and the more I thought about it after, the more frustrated I was with it. Which I can discuss more if you would like.

Infinity War was the first major movie to ever be filmed entirely on IMAX cameras. When it was released earlier this year I wasn't able to get to a IMAX screen before it left theaters, which was very disappointing. But the movie gods smiled upon me - as part a 10 year anniversary celebration for Marvel, they are briefly playing all the Marvel movies in certain theaters which meant last night I got to see IW in that special, impressive IMAX mega screen.

I'm posting this here instead of the Marvel thread because I mainly wanted to share this tidbit - Infinity War is the first movie since LOTR that I have seen in theaters 4 times. And much like LOTR back then, I've found I love it even more each time.

(Other recent movies I've rewatched include 2001, Casablanca, and West Side Story. You may have heard of them. They are, like, pretty great and stuff.)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I just never could get into West Side Story. It just seemed kinda...fake. I've tried watching it several times.

Saw Casablanca on TV the other night, and it still holds up very well despite its age!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

West Side Story is stylised. Its not meant to feel real.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Though of course, anyone can feel free to dislike that style. They'd just be wrong. :P
-The Decemberists

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I've never liked West Side story because it disturbs me when a main character shares my name. It didn't help that many people over the course of my life have felt the need to sing that song to me when first introduced. :roll:

One guy, when I protested, decided it was fun to sing every song he knew that was about a "Maria".
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

That sounds like something I would do. I'm pretty annoying. :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

:salmon:
-The Decemberists

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Well deserved! :D

I'm not a huge fan of musicals, but I did like Sound of Music. I guess I was more invested in the characters. You know, that beautiful opening sequence, where Maria is out in the mountains, singing "The hills are alive..." And then, the nuns complaining (humourously) about her failings as a postulant...it really grabbed me.

And anyone who's ever had to teach kids, or babysit them can relate to what she goes through when she first arrives at Captain von Trapp's home! :help:
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

yovargas wrote:I saw Blackkklansman a few weeks ago. I thought it was reasonably entertaining but I had a lot of issues with it and the more I thought about it after, the more frustrated I was with it. Which I can discuss more if you would like.
I can sort-of guess some of your issues based on some of your previous reviews, but fire away!
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

I'm looking forward to watching Blackkklansman, Annihilation and First Man. Haven't really seen many movies from this year.

I enjoyed Isle of Dogs, and A Quiet Place was quite fantastic (as long as you don't think about the plot too much).

EDIT: The Death of Stalin is my favorite film of the year so far. Fantastic script and performances. Possibly my favorite Dark comedy after Dr. Strangelove.
Sunsilver

Re: Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by Sunsilver »

Lat night I watched V for Vendetta on TV. I'd seen it before, but had missed about the first 10 minutes, the scene that shows the original Guy Fawkes and his arrest and execution. I really wanted to see it again in its entirety, so I recorded it on my DVR. It's such a powerful movie I'm now wishing I hadn't erased it after I'd watched it.

The parallels between the movie and the current political situation send chills down my spine.

The movie makes a very important point that I think is worth repeating. The dictatorial government in the movie comes to power through fear. They unleash a deadly virus on the country, and convince everyone it's the work of rebels. They convince people that only way to restore safety and sanity to the country is to elect them to power. The head of the government is then made chancellor for life.

One thing that struck me after Trump's election, and even before his election, during his campaign was how he used fear and the 'us vs. them' mentality to stir people up. Anyone who is not like us is to be ostracized, marginalized and feared. Bob Woodward was definitely aware of this when he chose the title for his book about Trump.

In the movie, Evey, the key female character, is finally set free when she tells her captor she is no longer afraid of facing death.

It's a powerful movie, with a powerful message.
Last edited by Sunsilver on Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I do love V for Vendetta. I don't like to read too many parallels with real world situations with stories like that, but the way that fear can get used to control people is an unfortunately timeless lesson.

I rewatched Alien over the weekend. I was really struck by how gorgeous the movie is. It's a pre-CG movie so all the effects are physical and in so many ways, it looks so much better than most modern movies. With all our tech advances, it's still hard to beat great physical sets and models. The creature effects do look pretty dated but everything else is so great.

That was such a big part of LOTR’s success is having all those great sets and physical locations. I'm not sure why so few people in Hollywood noticed and learned that lesson.
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

yovargas wrote:That was such a big part of LOTR’s success is having all those great sets and physical locations. I'm not sure why so few people in Hollywood noticed and learned that lesson.
Including, arguably, the filmmaker who was responsible for that success!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yes. Hobbit I drove me nuts. The sets looked straight out of LOTRO.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Seriously. :nono:
-The Decemberists

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

LOL! I saw two displays of costumes and props and even pieces of the sets from the LOTR movies and was just totally blown away by the level of detail and care that went into making them. It was far beyond what would actually show up on the screen.

One example that sticks in my mind is the bowl and pitcher Galadriel uses in the scrying scene with Frodo (the mirror of Galadriel). Both bowl and pitcher have intricate engravings on them that you just don't see on the screen at all. I tried to find a close up picture of them to go in this post, but the one below is the best I could do. And, of course, you were NOT allowed to take pictures of the items when they were on display. I saw them kick out a person who tried to sneak a photo.