Marvel Movie Madness

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by Frelga »

Sunny, I enjoyed GotG2 a lot more than I did the first one, and I think it has less of what you didn't like and more heart. It's really about a bunch of people who are very bad at emotional connections making emotional connections, and like most of the MCU, it's about found families. And baby Groot is adorable. Give it a try, you can always turn it off. ;)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

True, dat! At least I'm not paying to see it!

Speaking of paying movies, anyone seen Ant Man and Wasp yet? My movie-going buddy is interested. And I am too. The first two movies were a lot of fun to watch.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Most people liked GotG2 more than 1 for various reasons. I liked them just about the same but would give 2 a slight edge because I agree with Frelga that it feels more heartfelt and the characters more fully formed. But if you weren't a fan of the humor in 1, pt 2 won't win you over. And the big climactic battle sequence is IMO the most over-long, chaotic, tedious action sequence in all the MCU.

But also - Baby Groot. :love: :D

(I keep regretting that we never did start a separate Marvel thread but it kinda feels to late to start one now.)
Last edited by yovargas on Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I wouldn't mind. I have FEELINGS, and talking to you guys will keep me from signing up for tumblr. :blackeye:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Yov, note I said 'the funny bits were no longer funny'. That doesn't mean I didn't laugh at them the first time around!

But I have laughed, or at least smiled numerous times at the funny bits in OTHER Marvel movies...

As for long, tedious battle scenes, my DVD player has a fast forward feature... :D I made good use of it when watching GoG 1 and will do so again.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Sunsilver wrote: Speaking of paying movies, anyone seen Ant Man and Wasp yet?
Yep. I really enjoyed it, but then I'm not that critical and 9 times out of 10 I'm gonna enjoy a fun popcorn flick.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

You've got to be able to suspend your disbelief for this sort of movie, and just enjoy!

But too much violence gets me down, especially when I know scores of people must be getting killed. And I know that was happening in GotG.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

One of my favorite offscreen things about the MCU is how Chris Evans is one tweet away from stealing the shield and becoming Captain America IRL.

https://twitter.com/ChrisEvans/status/1 ... 0026397697

Language!

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Someone get that man a shield.
-The Decemberists

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Frelga wrote:I wouldn't mind. I have FEELINGS, and talking to you guys will keep me from signing up for tumblr. :blackeye:
Oh dear gods, not tumblr! Start that Marvel thread already so we can save Frelga from that horror!

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I saw both GoG 1 and GoG 2 and enjoyed both much more than I expected.

The first one was a delightful surprise because it came across almost as a spoof, with the characters winking at the superhero mold. I loved it because of that. I have not been a fan of most comic to film heroes because of the earnestness of the characters, or when not the characters, the message.

The 'American values' in which all those movies have been drenched is difficult to identify with also, though I think Americans probably can't see it, as its the paradigm all around you.

GoG 2 leaned more toward that so I enjoyed it less, though baby Groot made it all worthwhile.

Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Impenitent wrote:
Frelga wrote:I wouldn't mind. I have FEELINGS, and talking to you guys will keep me from signing up for tumblr. :blackeye:
Oh dear gods, not tumblr! Start that Marvel thread already so we can save Frelga from that horror!

We need "Save Frelga!" on bumper stickers. :spin:
Impenitent wrote:The 'American values' in which all those movies have been drenched is difficult to identify with also, though I think Americans probably can't see it, as its the paradigm all around you.
I will start the new thread if only so I can find out what you meant by that. Not that I disagree, necessarily, I just want to hear your thoughts.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Frelga, thanks for being willing to start a new thread. Voronwë spent some time trying to split this one, but the surgery was so complex that the patient would probably have bled out on the table. And I don't have time this nasty, horrible work week to make my own attempt—not that I have any reason to think that it would turn out differently.

So I think just making a hard break is best. Maybe put a link to the beginning of the serious Marvel discussion here (in your judgment) in the opening post? Because, yes, there ought to be a Marvel thread, and we can leave this thread to its former desultory discussion of odds and ends and oddities and endings that we all found interesting. Both are valuable.

Maybe the discussion of "American values" could lead off the new thread. I would be very interested.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Prim, I wouldn't want you to go to any trouble! We can post link, or copy whatever it is worth preserving.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

If you could just start the thread—then you, or I, could post relevant links into it as needed.

I think you’d be a more logical thread starter here. Whenever you have the time.

I just sent off the 254th chapter of 254, precisely when it was due, and I’m off to bed. Thanks, Frelga.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

MCU and You (the Keep Frelga off Tumblr thread)

Post by Frelga »

I'm starting this thread to talk about the MCU with my favorite people, because otherwise I will end up signing up for tumblr to argue with strangers and we don't want that. Please do your part to keep Frelga off tumblr. :geek:

This is the first post in the Last Movie thread after the last post that was not about an MCU movie.

I'm hoping Impish will find the time to share what she meant about these movies being drenched in American Values.

In the meantime - best action scene? Black Widow breaking into Hammer's whateverthatwas in IM2, closely followed by Black Widow's "interrogation" in the Avengers. My favorite, though, is the elevator fight in the Winter Soldier, despite a few moments of "are they taking a nap while he does that?" and "just how big is that elevator".

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

:hug: Have some well-earned sweet dreams, Prim!

Sunsilver

Re: MCU and You (the Keep Frelga off Tumblr thread)

Post by Sunsilver »

Yeah, that was one kick-ass scene where Natasha demolishes her interrogators!

I also liked the scene in Winter Soldier where Cap rescues Black Widow from a grenade explosion, after he finds her downloading classified files from the ship's computer:

As they are arguing about 'should she be doing this without letting Cap, the team leader, know', Cap sees a grenade land on the floor of the room. He grabs Black Widow and uses his shield to crash through a window to get them both out of harm's way:

B.W., lying on the deck of the ship, with Cap more or less on top of her: "Sorry, that one's on me..."

Cap [angrily]: "Damn right it is!"

Oh, BTW, look for previous Marvel Universe discussions HERE: http://thehalloffire.net/forum/viewtopi ... =12&t=3558

They are scattered throughout the thread, so the 'search' function will likely be necessary!

Footnote: Space Channel is re-running "Civil War" on Sunday! Very much looking forward to seeing it again!! :banana:
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

When you ask for best action scene, my first thought is that Black Widow IM2 fight. She just looks so flippin' cool, plus the contrast with Happy is hilarious. It's unfortunate that might be my top pick though because it's in my least favorite MCU movie.

Winter Soldier in general has several excellent action scenes, including the kick-ass elevator scene. But I think I might pick the scene where Fury gets ambushed in his car. I love how oh-crap! tense it is, plus I love how it portrays Nick as a guy who is always prepared for the worst. He may not be a superdude, but don't mess with Nick Fury!

For pure emotion though, it's hands down Cap and Stark fighting at the end of Civil War. I know it doesn't work for some people but the way that dramatic arc builds to that confrontation is to me the best thing in all the MCU.
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yeah, the Fury chase is one of the better car chases I can think of. Plus, the entry of the Winter Soldier is the coolest introduction of the antagonist.

The Winter Soldier was on last night, and I'll watch that movie every time.

BTW, someone pointed out that when the first cop car pulls up by Fury's SUV, this super paranoid and powerful spy is not thinking assassination attempt, he's thinking the cop is going to hassle a Black driver.

Sunny, the entire relationship between Cap and Natasha is wonderfully developed through the movies. I love the scene with the grenade - one moment he's chewing her out, the next, she leaps into his arms already firing.