"Zero Tolerance", Family separations & other immigration iss

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: "Zero Tolerance", Family separations & other immigration

Post by Frelga »

I understand why. It saddens me. If people born in the US had the perspective to see what was happening, they would never have allowed it to happen. They would not have imagined that electing Trump would be business as usual, similar to electing Clinton.

But they don't, and they did, and here we are, and I am one of maybe three people here who can't shrug and say, well, at least my family will probably be OK.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That has nothing to do with why the discussion needed to be moved and is also patently offensive.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:That has nothing to do with why the discussion needed to be moved and is also patently offensive.

I'm sorry you take it that way.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Dave_LF wrote:George Takei: ‘At Least During the Internment …’ Are Words I Thought I’d Never Utter.

Deserves a wide audience.
I completely agree, Dave.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

What an idiot Michael Avenatti is -- immigration edition

Immigration Attorneys Call Michael Avenatti’s Activism ‘Fantastically Irresponsible’

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Despite Trump (and despite the SCOTUS) we do still have a system of checks and balances and justice in the U.S.

Federal judge orders reunification of parents and children, end to most family separations at border
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Thank goodness!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Former ICE spokesman James Schwab says he resigned after being ordered to lie to the public (by saying 800 people escaped arrest because the mayor of Oakland let news about a surprise raid slip). While he was being interviewed by CBS about the incident, officers from the Department of Homeland Security showed up and tried to intimidate him:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/former-ice ... istration/
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Immigrant children separated from their parents at the US-Mexico border are being ordered into court for their own deportation proceedings, some as young as three, according to lawyers from Texas, California and Washington.

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/06/27 ... urt-alone/

This is the kind of injustice condemned by the USA when it occurs elsewhere.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

https://twitter.com/abogada_laura/statu ... 6878941184
My 5-yr-old client can’t tell me what country she is from. We prepare her case by drawing pictures with crayons of the gang members that would wait outside her school. Sometimes she wants to draw ice cream cones and hearts instead. She is in deportation proceedings alone.
Eta: same lawyer
Today my client was excited to push the elevator buttons on the way to her first deportation hearing. Afterwards I congratulated her on tying her shoes by herself. She's 6 and @TheJusticeDept thinks she should only get a lawyer if she can pay for one
The Hill
Court rules children facing deportation have no right to court-appointed lawyer

The link for donations to The UNLV Immigration Clinic where she works https://netcommunity.unlv.edu/immigrationclinic

Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

As I was discussing existing law, and not even getting to what I wish the law to be, nobody was able to explain to me this one point of existing law.

Given: it is possible to seek asylum at any US embassy or consulate. You do not need to go to the border to do so.
Given: Only two countries actually border the US, a few more have only water between them and the US. Most countries border other countries.
Given: The US has embassies in almost every country in the world. The US has consulates in many of them as well.

Therefore:
If you a refugee feels it is unsafe to seek asylum at the embassy in their own country, and feels safe to cross the border, why do not the refugees seek asylum at the closest embassy or consulate on the other side of the border they crossed? Going all the way to the US border makes for a much longer and more dangerous trip.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

PBS
https://twitter.com/JudyWoodruff/status ... 1532597248
14 month old boy separated from immigrant parents at the border, was returned after 85 days, covered with lice, had apparently not been bathed - part of lawsuits filed by states against Trump administration @LisaDNews reports @NewsHour tonight

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Sickening. There is no possible excuse for this. And of course if it happened to one baby, it’s probably happening to many of them.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

In other immigration news, I heard two stories today on the radio (one on NPR's Morning Edition, and the other on Public Radio International's The World) about how the Trump administration is targeting immigrants in the military, and discharging them without explanation.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

They're also going after naturalized citizens suspected of fraud. Not sure how these people get flagged but I'm fearing the advent of anonymous tiplines for derogatory information. My husband is naturalized. He's white, he did it all by the book and as far as we know we have no enemies but I don't like the way this is going.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

River wrote:They're also going after naturalized citizens suspected of fraud. Not sure how these people get flagged but I'm fearing the advent of anonymous tiplines for derogatory information.
I'm a little surprised at myself, because you got to that thought before I did. Apparently, I'm still too optimistic about the state of things.

Speaking of which, V, I do think you should consider making this forum nonpublic.

I've been seeing accounts of American-born citizens having difficulty applying for passports because of sealed adoption records, among other reasons, although I'm not sure if that's a new thing.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Much as I hate to admit it, Frelga may have a point. :(

There are people on this board who may be vulnerable due to being immigrants, their public position (lawyers, university professors/teachers) or their sexual orientation.

Mind you, the person choosing to make trouble for them would have to know their real life names, but I don't suppose that would be impossible to find out.

Edit: and why the heck should SEALED adoption records be a problem?? It used to be ALL adoptions handled by the Canadian government were sealed, and NO ONE had access to them!

I was only able to find my birth mom because the government chose to make the records available to adoptees and birth parents under carefully controlled circumstances, and the agreement of both parties. Access by anyone else was still forbidden, except by court order, as well it should be! :x
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful

We are discussing the question of private/public but in the meanwhile, I would strongly urge anyone who has any worries to edit out any private information out of the public discussion forum.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

V, I considered this, but apart from the sheer volume of posts, it's also impossible to edit out content quoted by other members, many of whom don't frequent the forum anymore.