Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and Piranesi

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Mr. Drawlight's fraud have been exposed and Strange seems on the verge of rebelling against Norrell. Finally, the story seems like it's gonna get some dramatic tension!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Why can Strange effortlessly throw cities about the globe but he can't do anything to the French army? Throw the french in the ocean, you idiot! :roll:
-The Decemberists

Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

He does make the road in front of them disappear so that they're stuck in the mud. :P

It might be that he doesn't want to use magic to actually kill people.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Then teleport them to America! Turn their guns into flowers! Something!!
-The Decemberists

MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

Jnyusa wrote:It might be that he doesn't want to use magic to actually kill people.
Indeed.

"'Can a magician kill a man by magic?' Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. 'I suppose a magician might,' he admitted, 'but a gentleman never would.'"

I think Strange doesn't want to completely incapacitate them. That would be ungentlemanly, after all. ;)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I would dearly like to know why Childermass continous to serve such a deplorable little man.

(Norell is currently buying up Strange's books.)
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Ah, but is Childermass really serving Norrell?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

That thought had occurred to me, but you musn't spoil us preciousss. ;)
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Just food for thought, my friend (I'm glad you are persevering).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Finished (book and thread).

I know from past experience that people can get annoyed at people putting down something in their pro-something book so, unless elaboration is requested, I'll just say I hardly found anything at all to like about the book.
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

I can't speak for Mossy (obviously) but I would certainly be interested in hearing more about your opinion, Yov (and I obviously liked it very much).
MaidenOfTheShieldarm

I'd like hear your thoughts, yov. Elaborate away.
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Okay, two of my several major problems with the book:

- A near-total lack of likeable or interesting characters. Norrell I found very annoying. Strange felt very generic and blank until the end - the author occasionally describes his character (sarcastic, mischievous, ect) but hardly ever shows his character. Childermass was interesting but he was hardly there and his motivations and purpose were completely unexistant.

- The story had a near-total lack of focusing dramatic tension until nearly the very end when Strange finds Lost-hope. Without any such focus, the story has no momemtum, nothing driving it forward. Huge chunks of the story felt completely superfluos and I'm convinced you could edit out hundreds of pages and lose almost nothing in terms of plot, character, or themes. (The stuff with Strange in the war felt particularly tedious and poinless.)
-The Decemberists

MaidenOfTheShieldarm

yovargas wrote: - A near-total lack of likeable or interesting characters. Norrell I found very annoying. Strange felt very generic and blank until the end - the author occasionally describes his character (sarcastic, mischievous, ect) but hardly ever shows his character. Childermass was interesting but he was hardly there and his motivations and purpose were completely unexistant.
I agree that Strange is somewhat nondescript and didn't much care for Norrell. Personally, I found the supporting characters much more interesting -- Childermass definitely being my favourite. What did you think of, say, Stephen Black and Vinculus?

That said, I don't think the characters are the main focus of the book. Someone (Vinculus?) says that Strange and Norrell are just parts of a spell -- thus, it's the the spell and the broader strokes of the plot that are more important than the details such as character.
- The story had a near-total lack of focusing dramatic tension until nearly the very end when Strange finds Lost-hope. Without any such focus, the story has no momemtum, nothing driving it forward.
There was a lack of tension, I didn't think it lacked focus. I saw the conflict (and thus the dramatic question) to be about the kidnappings/conflict between Faerie and England -- what would happen to Lady Pole and Stephen? Was the Gentleman going to be defeated or foiled, and who? And who the heck is the Raven King? That's what drove the book for me.
but Huge chunks of the story felt completely superfluos and I'm convinced you could edit out hundreds of pages and lose almost nothing in terms of plot, character, or themes. (The stuff with Strange in the war felt particularly tedious and poinless.)
Very true. The stuff with the war was probably character development, but it was far from necessary.
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I loved the stuff about the war! :D

It also served several purposes - to keep Strange out of England and away from Norrell; to separate the two magicians; to allow Strange to develop his magic and come to understand how he wanted to use (and not use) magic; to allow Norrell to miss Strange and see him develop into a real rival.

If Strange had not gone to the War, the rest of it would not have come to pass.
MaidenOfTheShieldarm

Impenitent wrote:I loved the stuff about the war! :D
As did I! (Especially how he keeps moving cities around and forgetting to put them back. :D) I just meant that what she accomplishes with the war could have been done in a different way that would have seemedd less like a detour.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Gee, Mossy, I didn't expect you to agree with my points so easily. I was expecting some fighting back! :D

I'll try and post some more thoughts late today.
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

I also loved the stuff about the war. But I don't really have much of a response to Yov's points; they are hard to disagree with. And yet I loved the book so much that I read through a second time almost right after I was done. And there must be SOME reason why it has been so popular and so critically acclaimed.

It's a bit of a mystery. :scratch:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I haven't finished it yet, but it's defnitely written in an old-fashioned way. I don't just mean the language; I mean the very leisurely approach to storytelling. These days almost all fiction written to entertain has a strong protagonist with a difficult goal that he has to overcome great odds to achieve. It's written economically, and every scene is there to serve the main plot. There aren't really subplots or secondary characters; they all must relate in some way to the protagonist and his goal.

There's nothing wrong with any of that, but this book is more in the style of Dickens or Trollope, where the author digresses just because the digression might be interesting, and the plot sometimes takes a while to emerge. (I don't know why she's compared to Austen; Austen was almost modern in her economy of structure. Maybe the language.) That style isn't to everyone's taste, especially if they're used to the modern conventions.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

****SPOILER AS I DIDN'T KNOW PRIM WASN'T DONE****

Did ya'll like Lascelles ending? I found him going off to Faere to arbitrarily fight to the death some total stranger was bizzarre. I found it completely implausiable and unsatisfying and the whole thing felt sooo contrived. Nothing in his self-serving, manipulative character made such an action make any sense especially since he wasn't stupid - no DUH the corpse-creating faery being is gonna kill you! :roll:
-The Decemberists