Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
River
bioalchemist

Re: Trump's America

Post by River »

True.

Something I learned from climbing: sometimes retreating is more dangerous than advancing.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Frelga wrote:
I broke down the photo for BuzzFeed: This Incredible Photo Of Trump Surrounded By G7 Leaders Is Like A Renaissance Painting https://t.co/r3TtGNdRVs
IMG_20180609_114624.jpg
Best caption by, apparently, former Prime Minister of Belgium
“Just tell us what Vladimir has on you. Maybe we can help.”
https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/stat ... 6118477825
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

LOVE that caption Frelga!

Trump is barefacedly and openly conspiring with Russia. He is doing Putin's dirty work for him. Why would anyone not be questioning his motives? It's so bizarre.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Er...
TRUMP on Kim Jong Un (note the final two sentences): "He's the head of a country, and I mean he's the strong head. Don't let anyone think anything different. He speaks and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do the same." (via FOX) https://t.co/ed9AMRl9ny
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status ... 9591206913
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Oh, God. :(
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I'm preeeeetty sure he intended for that to be taken as a joke, even if it's pretty obvious to anyone watching that it's not actually a joke. :neutral:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I've noticed Trump says a lot of things 'as a joke' that he really means.. like trying out President for life. He's testing the waters, putting ideas in people's heads.. that's not really a 'joke'.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

So how many of you south of the border have called their elected representative to demand that they stop ripping immigrant children from their families and incarcerating them in inhuman conditions? Just wondering.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

My elected representatives (House rep and both senators) are fighting this.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Jude wrote:So how many of you south of the border have called their elected representative to demand that they stop ripping immigrant children from their families and incarcerating them in inhuman conditions? Just wondering.
I'll do it when I'm back behind an American IP. If I do it from here it'll probably flag as something to be ignored. Though my House rep is fighting, one of my Senators is fighting, and the other Senator is a worthless lump of protoplasm that we're going to fire when he's up for re-election.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

So are mine.

Meanwhile.
NPR
"I would cite you to the Apostle Paul and his clear and wise command in Romans 13, to obey the laws of the government because God has ordained them for the purpose of order," Sessions said. https://t.co/yTW6pHKnxs
I am tempted to create a Twitter account that would post appropriate Biblical quotes in response to so called conservatives. For example.

Matthew 23:27
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.

Except for the "appear beautiful" part.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Or, hey, here's a better one.

Leviticus 19:33-34 “When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.”

Via the Twitter of God https://twitter.com/TheGoodGodAbove/sta ... 5648144384

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

:thumbsup: [likes Frelga's post]
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/10 ... 3401312257

ThinkProgress
UPDATE: All 49 Democrats have signed on as co-sponsors to the Keep Families Together Act, which would end family separation at the border.

There are ZERO Republican cosponsors

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Frelga wrote:https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/10 ... 3401312257

ThinkProgress
UPDATE: All 49 Democrats have signed on as co-sponsors to the Keep Families Together Act, which would end family separation at the border.

There are ZERO Republican cosponsors

:cry: :cry: :cry:
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Must everything be so damn partisan now??
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Republicans in Congress refuse to do anything about American children gunned down in schools. Why would they lift a finger in this case? These kids aren’t even American, and that is apparently all that matters to their base.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The government should know how bad this looks and how innocent children are actually suffering. That kind of scenario is unacceptable to most Americans as exemplified by former First Lady Laura Bush’s withering criticism. https://t.co/F4PKL00xLS
Bill O'Reilly. Actual Bill O'Reilly.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I used to dismiss equating the Republican base with fascists as over-heated rhetoric.

I've changed my mind.

I also tried donating to the ACLU but my credit card froze up. Probably because I'm out of the country and it flagged as possible fraud. I did manage to sign a petition.

BTW, Jeff Sessions is a Methodist. The Methodist clergy are bringing church charges against him. I'm not sure what that means but it would be certainly be fun if our Bible-quoting baby snatcher of an AG got excommunicated.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

The numbering of children has been disproven by Snopes. The number on that kid's t-shirt was put there by the retail manufacturer, not the U.S. government.

But it is the absolute truth that border patrol agents are saying they are taking the children for baths in order to separate them from their parents. And some detention centers are being told not to comfort the children when they cry. Others say they've been told it's okay to hold them or hug them.

I am at a 4 day long Christian retreat, and one of the things we talked about yesterday was the terrible harm lack of physical affection can cause for children:

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/15/62025432 ... eparations