Hobbit Facsimile Gift Edition

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Hobbit Facsimile Gift Edition

Post by Alatar »

A week to go until this truly exceptional edition is released…
We are proud to present this commemorative HOBBIT FACSIMILE GIFT EDITION, which is packed to the rafters with special goodies including:
- A replica of the first edition containing the original version of the story before Tolkien re-edited it in 1947 (original editions are rare and pricey so few have had the chance to read this, until now)
- A special copy of Thror’s map which reveals the secret moon-runes when held to the light, as Tolkien first intended (but never enjoyed, as the map became endpapers instead)
- A CD of archive recordings that capture Tolkien reading from The Hobbit, including three previously unreleased excerpts
- A colour illustrated booklet that recounts the history of The Hobbit, plus connected writings by JRR Tolkien, including the never-before-published lecture ‘Dragons’ that he gave to children in Oxford on New Year’s Day 1938 to promote The Hobbit.
- A 3D lenticular cover based on Tolkien's own original book jacket design.
Don’t miss it. Pre-order your copy now.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobbit-Facsimi ... 008259542/
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Hobbit Facsimile Gift Edition

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I saw that, and it looks pretty amazing, and not that expensive for what it is. But I don't believe it is available in the U.S., so shipping would be an issue.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Gawd yes, it looks awesome. Time to flex my London-Connection skills.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I’d hope it would show up in the United States eventually.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King