The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Russia Investigations

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Following the hearing through Stephen Brown's tweets. So far it has been the prosecutor, McKay speaking. The best reported line so far: "There are three parties in this case. Only two of them have made public comments about the searches. Last Monday both Mr. Cohen and President Trump made inflammatory comments about this case. Our office has done no such thing." He goes on to say Trump and Cohen can't incite the media then "Turn around and cite that media attention as the basis for their requested relief."
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

An attorney representing the media arguing for transparency requested that the name of the third client by revealed. Attorney for Cohen pushed back. Judge apparently just said "I rule it must be disclosed now." Don't know what will happen if they still refuse.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

And the third client is ...

----

&&&&&&

^^^^^^^

#######

$$$$$$

!!!!!!!!!
Hidden text.
Sean Hannity!!!!!!111
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Are you frigging kidding us, Voronwë?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Oh, my God, it totally is him. :shock:

Chris Hayes' comment on Twitter: "Never doubt the writers. They know what they're doing."
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

I kid you not! Of course, we are not likely to learn what the actual "legal services" that Cohen provided, but I think it is reasonable to guess that they are similar to the services he supplied to his other two clients.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Unbelievable
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I probably shouldn't have but I legit lol'd at that reveal. What a world!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Less LOL, but no less surprising from an attorney point of view: Judge Wood, to Cohen's attorneys: "It’s not that you’re not good people. It’s that you’ve miscited the law, at times." Oh, snap!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Just wait; it'll turn out there's some sort of propaganda complex between the Trump administration, Russia, and Fox News.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Dave_LF wrote:Just wait; it'll turn out there's some sort of propaganda complex between the Trump administration, Russia, and Fox News.
It is feeling like that stage in a story when multiple plotlines converge, doesn't it? Then comes the climax and the denouement.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

For some reason I couldn't get the spoiler link to show until I tried the 'quote' feature. HOLY COW. Karma is a tough mistress, ain't she? I don't think I would have been surprised if it had been Devin Nunes, but this makes sense too.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

River wrote:
Dave_LF wrote:Just wait; it'll turn out there's some sort of propaganda complex between the Trump administration, Russia, and Fox News.
It is feeling like that stage in a story when multiple plotlines converge, doesn't it? Then comes the climax and the denouement.
I wasn't being entirely serious, but yet, it does. If it were a story. However, I suspect in this case it will turn out that truth is stranger than fiction (if it hasn't already).
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Now THIS (sadly) is reality TV. None of that fake stuff.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

RoseMorninStar wrote:For some reason I couldn't get the spoiler link to show until I tried the 'quote' feature. HOLY COW. Karma is a tough mistress, ain't she? I don't think I would have been surprised if it had been Devin Nunes, but this makes sense too.
For some reason I thought it was DJT Jr.

Making sexual imbroglios go away seems to be part of Cohen's legal practice. I wonder what salacious fun is going to break loose regarding Hannity.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

Yeah, I was sure it was Junior, too. Of all the speculation that I saw, not a single person mentioned Hannity.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

River wrote:

I wonder how this might affect the Trump propaganda channel. The RNC has ramped up the smear campaign and Russian hackers are attacking business & home routers and ISP's. No connection at all, I suppose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

This is supposedly a real quote from Hannity's radio program today:

"I might have handed him 10 bucks, I definitely wanted attorney-client privilege on this, something like that" @seanhannity on his relationship with #MichaelCohen

https://twitter.com/ZachFB/status/985969001728626688

Where's that "Sure, Jan" gif when I need it.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Sean Hannity wrote:“Michael never represented me in any matter. I never retained him in the traditional sense. ... I never received an invoice from Michael. I never paid legal fees to Michael.”
Can he say 'under the table' any more clearly?
Voronwë the Faithful

Meanwhile, the judge largely ruled in favor of the justice department, though she hasn't ruled out appointing a special master down the line. But the U.S. attorney's office will get to review the material first, before providing copies to Cohen's lawyers. So far as I can tell she simply ignored the arguments made by Trump's attorney claiming they should get first crack at it.