Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Frelga »

[quote="The Hill" ]Sessions praises sheriffs as "critical part of the Anglo-American heritage of law enforcement"[/quote]

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... -the-anglo

Presumably, he is referring to the Sheriff of Nottingham, whom he considers a very fine person.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

:bang: URrrrggggghhh....
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The gist of the internet response is that the dog whistles are being put aside in favor of bullhorns.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

OK, this is just so on the nose.
Pool report says Trump and his motorcade drove past a billboard advertising Stormy Daniels tonight and her upcoming Florida stop on the "Make America Horny Again" tour. You can't make it up.
From Josh Dawsey, the White House reporter for the WaPo

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

No, come on, this show just keeps getting more absurd.

Man featured on 'Trump Dating' site has child sex conviction
GREENSBORO, N.C.

A North Carolina man with a felony conviction for indecent liberties with a child was one-half of the poster couple for a new "Trump Dating" website.

News outlets reported Monday that visitors to the dating site geared toward supporters of the president were greeted with the faces of Jodi and William Barrett Riddleberger, conservative activists involved in the Tea Party-inspired political action committee, Conservatives for Guilford County. The couple's exact role with the site is unclear.

State records show Riddleberger was convicted in 1995 on the charge stemming from filming sex with a 15-year-old girl. He was then 25.

He told WRAL-TV that he's "already paid (his) debt" for that charge. Records show he didn't serve prison time.

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I always used criticize "reality TV" because it in no way resembled reality, but I meant for them to fix it the other way.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

sick.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, we can't ban assault weapons because freedom. But you know what we can ban?

Lawmakers seek ban on baggy pants
A bipartisan group of South Carolina lawmakers have proposed making it illegal to have saggy pants throughout the Palmetto State.

WCIV reports that House Bill 4957 would outlaw appearing in public with trousers that sit "three inches below the crest of his ileum," thereby exposing skin or underwear.

The legislation presumably means to identify the "ilium," the top part of the hip, not the "ileum," the last part of the small intestine.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

:? :spin: :tumbleweed: :unsure:

That's so weird! Don't they have anything better to do?
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

And the problem this solution is looking for is...? People who found the 90's offensive?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It is, clearly, racist in intent, but ACLU also calls it an attempt to sustain debtor prisons.

Just because it's stupid doesn't mean it is not also malicious.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Racist? A guy here at work wears his pants that way all the time and seems thoroughly Caucasian. :scratch: I've never associated falling off pants with skin color.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I need more context for the debtor prison part.

ETA I suppose because they propose punishing offenders with community service.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Sagging is associated with hip-hop which is associated with black people. Though of course white people also do it.

I admit, that dog whistle got past me. I usually hear them (and find them aggravating), but until Frelga pointed it out just now that one got past me.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The sartorial custom might cross the racial groups but I think it's a pretty good bet that the enforcement won't target white plumbers.

Dave, the debt prisons is something ACLU is talking about lately. As I understand it, the law like this imposes fines. When a defendant with a low income can't pay the fine or take time off work to appear in court, he (in this case the law specifically targets men) may end up with larger fines and eventually be arrested.

This was a pattern that was seen in Ferguson, where the police department mostly existed to impose fines on residents.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Come be speechless with me.

Link to AP.
Trump on the Parkland shooting: "I really believe I'd run in there even if I didn't have a weapon." https://t.co/pu3fAOm3Kp
This is after criticizing the officers on the scene.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Trump on the Parkland shooting: "I really believe I'd run in there even if I didn't have a weapon, if only it weren't for my flat feet.
There, I fixed it.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Yeah, I'm not so sure Mister Draft Dodger has the guts to put action where his words are in this case.

I wonder if he even knows how to handle a gun, for instance?

I also wonder if people who actually put their lives in danger each day in law enforcement appreciates that kind of talk from a guy with the Secret Service protecting him, or really, any armchair warrior who's never been in that situation.

But then I recall that Donald Trump's supporters can both lionize the military and fully support his thoroughly base treatment of Gold Start families and veterans like John McCain, so I don't think it matters in the end. They support him for other viewpoints.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I mean, it's one thing to be obliviously narcissistic, but what's her excuse?
Sarah Huckabee Sanders just clarified that when President Trump said earlier that he'd have run into the school with the active shooter, he didn't really mean that he'd run into a school with an active shooter but rather that he'd "be a leader"
Yes, we kinda got that he didn't mean it.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote:Quote:Trump on the Parkland shooting: "I really believe I'd run in there even if I didn't have a weapon."
Incredible. Bizarre. Satire cannot beat this. He must not realize just how crazy it sounds. He lives within the sphere of 'reality' (fake) TV where things are scripted and there can be a 're-do' if things don't come out the way one wishes.
My heart is forever in the Shire.