Reviews

A forum for discussion of Voronwë's book, Arda Reconstructed: The Creation of the Published Silmarillion
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Reviews

Post by Inanna »

Oh I agree with that (that it's pleasing for you & good for your book). I was just trying too figure out the chronology
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I agree that the whole thing seems a little loosey-goosey.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Just to finally close the loop on this, I just got confirmation that the token permission fee that my publisher and I agree to ask for was paid, and will be reflected in my next royalty statement.

Obviously, the money is not a big deal, but the principle is, so I'm glad it got resolved.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That's good news, V
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Good news, V.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

I had a chance to peruse the greatly revised and expanded edition of Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond's J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide and to my extreme shock I found that the revised article on The Silmarillion contains an extensive (four full pages!) discussion of Arda Reconstructed. Some may recall that Christina wrote (with Wayne's assistance) a pretty outraged review of the book after it came out, but this is a much more balanced discussion. It quotes extensively from other reviews of the book, Jason Fisher's review in MythLore, Nicholas Birns' review in Tolkien Studies, and Charles Noad's very extensive online review at the Scholar's Forum at the Lord of the Rings Fanatics Plaza. They also quote from the comments that ‘Ælfwine’ (Carl F. Hostetter) cited with permission from the response by Christopher Tolkien to a sample of an early draft of Arda Reconstructed I sent to the Tolkien Estate right here in this forum (so The Hall of Fire now appears in what is probably the preeminent Tolkien reference resource in existence).

Overall, I am quite pleased (and very surprised) by this. I guess at this point I need to accept that I somehow managed to produce something of some significance in Tolkien scholarship.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

You did! This is truly significant. You should be not just pleased but proud. And it really, really tickles me that HoF is mentioned!

I'll add that I'm enjoying this for a third reason, lesser but still important to me: Arda Reconstructed is the most significant scholarly book I've copyedited in my 31-year career, which includes at least a hundred of them.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

That's very kind of you to say, if perhaps a biased.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Wow. Congrats V!
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I had a chance to peruse the greatly revised and expanded edition of Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond's J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide and to my extreme shock I found that the revised article on The Silmarillion contains an extensive (four full pages!) discussion of Arda Reconstructed.
Wow! That is really cool.

(I have fallen quite out of touch with Tolkien scholarship for the past three years. I didn't even know about the Tolkien exhibit in Oxford until I read on David Bratman and then Scull and Hammond's blogs about their trips to attend the opening events.)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

And that exhibit is coming to NY in January!!!
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm going to try to make it there if possible. Maybe I'll be able to finally meet you, Inanna!

(And N.E.B., I'd love to get to see you again!)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

*that* would be awesome.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

For how long will the exhibition be in NY? Hoping, hoping it will still be there in the last week of April.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Reviews

Post by Inanna »

Jan 25 to Mar 12 or so. :(. Maybe they will extend it...

https://www.themorgan.org/exhibitions/tolkien
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Poopy. It'll be gone by the time we get there.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

POOPY?? :rofl:
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

It's my soft cussing go-to :) .

Voronwë the Faithful

Not a review, per se, but a very nice comment by Tolkien illustrator Ted Nasmith in an interview with youtuber "Nerd of the Rings". His comments about Arda Reconstructed are between 54:32 -> 55:22.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I really enjoyed that, ended up watching the whole thing! Although Ted isn't my favourite of the three big Tolkien artists, a private commission would be pretty damn cool. I wonder how much they cost?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End