The Band of Heaven

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: The Band of Heaven

Post by Primula Baggins »

What is going on? :(
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

It's called 'old age', Prim. And a lot of these rockers really didn't take good care of their bodies.

Then, there's Keith Richards... :roll: Due to his consumption of drugs, booze and nicotine, everyone's been expecting HIM to drop dead for at least the last 30 years! Maybe the meme IS true!

Okay, taking the picture down, as it seems to have killed this thread... :blackeye:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
eborr

Post by eborr »

So Greg Lake of the angelic voice is now among the angels.

Maybe his best Epitaph should be his performance of the song of the same name, but I suppose most people will remember him for "I believe in Father Christmas" which I reckon is one of the best Christmas songs, - And since we are coming into this great feast, there is one line to extract from that which stands the test of time

" The Christmas we get is the one we deserve"

Sadly if Carl Palmer wants to bring back his old band - he has now got to find two new buddies
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Don't forget his early ground-breaking work with King Crimson. Truly a seminal artist.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
eborr

Post by eborr »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Don't forget his early ground-breaking work with King Crimson. Truly a seminal artist.
That I will never forget, aged about 14 being introduced in the Court of the Crimson King, KC are a band who I have stayed with through the years, and although they are older than me they really still rock out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhKJgqxNDD8

A couple of these guys are in their early 70's - not a song associated with Greg except to say that he would have sung it better
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

2016 claims another victim. George Michael dies at 53. :(
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I grew up listening to him. My sis loved him. I had no idea he was so young...
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

He was the same age as I am.

ETA: and the same age that my doppelganger was when he died.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:bawl:

This one hits closer to the heart. I loved George Michael. :(

Chad, the guy I was seriously in love with my junior and senior year of high school, made me a tape of Faith. I still have it somewhere. It was a favorite. Man, did I listen the heck out of that tape! :love:

I had a poster of George hanging up in my locker. You know the one—ripped jeans, cool sunglasses, leather jacket, beard. :love:

Kissing a Fool...dancing with Paul at my friend's house, the first time I'd ever gotten really tipsy. First year of college. Paul was so dangerous, such a bad boy. These were my punk days. Sigh.

2016 just needs to end already. Seriously. :wimper: :bawling:

ETA: I forgot about Wham! and their songs when I was typing this up. That's the soundtrack of my middle school years. :(
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Not the kind of music usually mourned here, but sixty-four members of the Alexandrov Ensemble died in the plane crash on December 25. They were on the way to entertain Russian troops in Syria.

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I heard about that at the time. It's tragic. :(
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
eborr

Post by eborr »

We also have to say farewell to Overend Watts, the bass player of Mott the Hoople. Famed for his absurd platform boots, over the top custom guitars, and the great shapes he would throw on the stage, whilst not encumbered by said footwear of course. the Hoople were a big part of my growing up and although best known for All the Young dudes, they wrote a number of decent songs. I saw them when back when, in a show which featured Queen as the support band. Suffice to say Mott in all their glory made Queen seem like very minor royalty

Gwyn A. Williams,
Voronwë the Faithful

As well as Butch Trucks, one of the founder members of the Allman Brothers Band, and part of their powerhouse two-man drum crew, who it is now being reported killed himself.
eborr

Post by eborr »

The second great Crimso bassist/vocalist to go in a couple of months John Wetton, perhaps more famous for his time with Asia, at the all to young age of 67. Did the vocals on a couple of my absolute favourite all time songs ever, Starless - see post above for a modern interpretation and the Night Watch

Gwyn A. Williams,
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Rory would have been 69 today.

Voronwë the Faithful

RIP, Greg Allman. :( I hope you are reunited with your brother.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Rest in Peace Tom.

eborr

Post by eborr »

This one hurts as well

not this highest fidelity, but this performance has always been with me - I saw this cut when first broadcast- this was a proper rock and roll band, they just dripped authenticity and quiet passion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNgt7U9QrFQ

Gwyn A. Williams,
Voronwë the Faithful

He kept some darn good company.

He and the Heartbreakers also toured as the backup band for Dylan, co-headlining with the Grateful Dead. I saw a few of those shows.
eborr

Post by eborr »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:He kept some darn good company.

He and the Heartbreakers also toured as the backup band for Dylan, co-headlining with the Grateful Dead. I saw a few of those shows.
The quality of the memories of a music concert always has a clarity which is distinctive. A two second chime can bring them back as clearly as if you had just left the concert hall.

Gwyn A. Williams,