2016 United States Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: 2016 United States Election

Post by yovargas »

It's only for zero years at most.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Hey, I'm trying to rein in my imagination here! :x

ETA: I still think you're right yov—except for the possibility of Clinton making some huge gaffe or error. She would not get the pass that seems to be granted without question to Trump.

Maybe her being a locked-down and tightly controlled person on the campaign trail is not such a bad thing under the circumstances.

I am also seeing on Twitter various generally-not-panicky political writers confessing to being very, very scared. Which scares me.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Jude wrote:It's only for eight years at most. How bad could it be? :P
Have you seen the Fury Road?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Allies? We don't need no stinkin' allies!

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/t ... mes-225942
Yeah, so now that I work for a German company gone global maybe I can just get my little labrat bum reassigned somewhere. Or maybe they'll just pack us all up and move us because they want our tech but not the WTFery. :help:
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Gack. I don't know how to tell you all this, but—but. . . .

Apparently JOHN BOLTON finds Trump's views on NATO . . . disturbing.

http://postonpolitics.blog.palmbeachpos ... to-stance/

I'll be under the couch.

If there's still room. :shock:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

But he's still voting for Trump.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Of course he is. He's John Bolton. :P
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Uzzi den?*

(*pratchett reference)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

What the hell is going on with the world?
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

On the lighter side again, an old high school pal of mine hit the nail on the head when he compared Ivanka Trump to Marilyn Munster...
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

And on other lighter & not-so-lighter side, Jon Stewart came back to let loose on Colbert's late night show:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/23/arts/ ... hone-share
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Here's the full segment.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Back on the lighter side, there are suspicions that Meredith McIver, who took the fall for Melania Trump's plagiarized speech, doesn't actually exist.
https://www.good.is/articles/will-the-r ... r-stand-up

Apparently, all of her social media presence appeared within the last few days and she is not listed on Trump's payroll.

In the past, Trump did pretend to be his own publicist, calling himself “John Miller” or “John Barron”.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'm waiting to watch the Colbert/Stewart segment tonight with Mr. Prim. But isn't it nice to be able to post videos?

I'm also telling myself that this, the moment when his convention ends and after his big speech, is Trump's high point—that going forward he can only hurt himself. Envision, for example, the presidential debates. If he patronizes or insults Clinton, it will do untold damage with everyone except the people who would vote for him if he kicked a sick old lady out of her wheelchair on live TV. He clearly isn't capable of imagining how women think, or perhaps even that we think. And then there's everyone who's not white, and everyone who's not straight. His cheering crowds are a plurality, not a majority.

<heads off into the dark, whistling>
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

http://www.snopes.com/meredith-mciver-exists/
Snopes says Meredith McIver is real.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Primula Baggins wrote: then there's everyone who's not white, and everyone who's not straight. His cheering crowds are a plurality, not a majority.

Hence the efforts to restrict access to voting.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes, some of which will not be enforced this election.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, their convention looks a lot more sane than the Republican.

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Primula Baggins wrote:I'm waiting to watch the Colbert/Stewart segment tonight with Mr. Prim. But isn't it nice to be able to post videos?

I'm also telling myself that this, the moment when his convention ends and after his big speech, is Trump's high point—that going forward he can only hurt himself. Envision, for example, the presidential debates. If he patronizes or insults Clinton, it will do untold damage with everyone except the people who would vote for him if he kicked a sick old lady out of her wheelchair on live TV. He clearly isn't capable of imagining how women think, or perhaps even that we think. And then there's everyone who's not white, and everyone who's not straight. His cheering crowds are a plurality, not a majority.

Nate Silver has tweeted that it is now a close election and people should be prepared for the possibility of a Trump win. His election forecast currently has the odds 58-42 in Clinton's favour, with recent polls favouring Trump in Ohio and Florida.

That said, this is in the midst of his convention bounce, the Democrats are likely to see a gain from their convention, and on current figures Trump could win Ohio and Florida and still lose given the Democrats' new-found strength in Virginia and Colorado. But I think that the idea that Trump is a joke candidate who would lose in a Goldwater- or McGovern-style landslide (which I admit I suspected at one point) has been disproven - he's a serious contender.