2016 United States Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: 2016 United States Election

Post by Primula Baggins »

If I had to guess, I'd probably conclude that he doesn't care who wins. He didn't start this to win anything--just for attention and, once he'd gotten going, adulation.

And no, he is not in this for Hillary. He is not in anything for any human being except himself.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yes - that is how narcissists behave.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

FBI director James Comey has announced that the FBI has recommended that no charges by brought against anyone regarding Hillary Clinton's emails. His report has plenty of damaging information that can be used against her, primarily that contrary to her claim, there was material that was classified at the time (rather than after the fact) in email that were sent to her private server, but he indicated that “no reasonable prosecutor” would bring a case against her for her handling of classified information on her private server.

I would guess that this means that while the issue will continue to haunt her throughout the campaign, this ends any possibility that it will force her to drop out or be replaced as the nominee.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/06/us/po ... .html?_r=0
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

So this is something I've been puzzling over this whole time...would whatever that was on her server have actually been more secure on a government server? Especially in light of the fact that Chelsea Manning willfully leaked a heap of diplomatic cables and Edward Snowden willfully leaked a bunch of stuff from the NSA and then the OPM database got broken into and that's just the incidents I know of off the top of my head? Wouldn't it have been just as foolish to use her .gov address for anything??
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

I agree, River. I think the whole thing is much ado about nothing.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I would call it some ado about little. It was sloppy and it looks bad, but it probably didn't have any substantive effect, either on national security or her campaign.
Voronwë the Faithful

Oh, I think it has, and will continue to have, a significant negative effect on her campaign, because it feeds this narrative that she is corrupt and untrustworthy.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Oh, I think it has, and will continue to have, a significant negative effect on her campaign, because it feeds this narrative that she is corrupt and untrustworthy.
I think, like Benghazi, anything short of prosecution of one of the Clintons is lost in the scandal-tinged haze that being a Clinton carries with it. That's neither a ringing endorsement nor an accusation of her, or for that matter, a contradiction of what you said... but I think the negative effect is entrenched at this point. The narrative is perilously close to being a cliche.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

The funny thing about Benghazi was it was originally being capitalized on to "get" Obama. When that proved unsuccessful they decided to hang the whole thing on Clinton.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

Actually, as a veteran...

I had to take Infosec and Compusec training. It was mandatory. I learned all about the proper handling of classified information and proper use of government computers.

This is a case of "too big to Jail." The laws are meant to apply to the peasants.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

DoD regs concerning classified material et al are not the same as DoS regs.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Long ago when I had a Top Secret clearance in the Army, it was made very clear exactly how to treat classified documents.
That was before the age of routine computer use, though, let alone emails, so I know nothing about how they've handled the computer age.

What does DoS stand for?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Department of State.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Dungeons of Sorrow
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I like that better.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Ah, thank you. I kept trying to fit DoS into the Secretary part of Secretary of State and it just wasn't working.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Denial of Service!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Dirty old sod!
Voronwë the Faithful

Donovan operated smoothly.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Dentures of Saruman