2016 United States Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: 2016 United States Election

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

http://uproxx.com/webculture/donald-tru ... nd-hobbes/

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

2016 United States Election

Post by Primula Baggins »

A great loss. We read Night in eighth grade, and my kids read it too. I like to think that it reduced the number of kids who grew up anti-Semitic.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Wow. Spooky. It's like the satire wrote itself decades before it even happened...
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Jude would be proud!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:shock: Wow. It's perfect!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I thought of Jude when I saw it, too.

Meanwhile, not surprisingly the origins of the Star of David Hillary Clinton meme that Trump posted was a messageboard of radical right-wing, neo-nazis and white supremacists.

https://mic.com/articles/147711/donald- ... .ELxLV2f6J
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Why am I not surprised?

Oh, right.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Not surprised. Saddened, but not surprised.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Please remember I was raised in a fundie, right-wing household, so I hear pretty much all the dog whistles there are. On a side note, one of the things I'm proudest of when it comes to my family is that they got demonstrably better over the years, as their innate decency slowly overcame the cultural indecency they were born into.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

It's never a bad thing to hear the dog whistles. The issues come from the response.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

It makes no sense to me that Trump would knowingly tweet an anti-Semitic message. What would be the purpose? He doesn't need to try and attract racist, white supremacist voters -- he already has those in the bag. Why would he deliberately insult and alienate Jewish voters? As I understand it, his own daughter is a convert to Judaism because her husband is Jewish.

I don't know how twitter works. Do you just come across images in the twitter-verse? It only makes sense to me, if Trump came across the image, zeroed in on the anti-Clinton corruption message and didn't pick up on the anti-Semitism. And then, how did someone later change the star to a circle?
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Because she is clearly white, so accusing her of Jewish connection was the worst thing he could think of?

Cerin, I understand that it is not your fault that you are oblivious to implications and I don't blame you, but God it must be nice to have that luxury.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Cerin wrote:Why would he deliberately insult and alienate Jewish voters?
Why would he insult Mexicans and Muslims and blacks and women?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

It makes no sense to me that he would do such a thing either, Cerin. I'm not sure why he'd even WANT to court the white supremacist and neo-Nazi votes at all. Unless he's hip to something horrible within the American public that I'm just plain afraid to consider. And I wouldn't rule that out.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Trump has "deliberately" insulted and alienated many different groups of voters, including the ones yov mentioned above. His ability to insult and ridicule various groups and individuals seemingly knows no bounds. His goal (IMHO) is to get attention. When he tweets his various insults he gets attention both from the group targeted for the insult AND from the white, blue-collar and angry voters that support him. For him, it's a win-win. Attention is attention, no matter in what form it comes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

People who routinely post or 'like' such things become immune to just how shocking such blatant hatred is to the rest of us. They are so deep down that rabbit hole they wouldn't see just how ugly it is. I can just imagine Trump saying to his daughter/son-in-law, "I can't believe it! People are complaining that is racisit! That's not racist! I love Jews and the Jews love me." Of course his son-in-law would likely not respond.

I agree with Jewelsong about the attention. Turns out Trump is a tightwad and doesn't want to spend a dime on his campaign and banks on free publicity from his outrageousness.

Ax, good for you getting out and for your family seeing through the hate. It's why I left.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

RoseMorninStar wrote:Turns out Trump... banks on free publicity from his outrageousness.
And he's been getting it.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Are there enough people left unoffended to win him the Presidency? That's all he needs.

Posting on phone via Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Fear works well. Playing into those fears. Feeding those fears. I have family echoing phrases like, "We have to do something about people coming into this country. There are terrorists in every state and over a 1,000 people on the FBI watch list"
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

Cerin wrote:Why would he deliberately insult and alienate Jewish voters?
To ensure Hillary wins the election?
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams