Star Wars, Episode VIII

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: Star Wars, Episode VIII

Post by Primula Baggins »

Frelga wrote:I don't have any attachment to original movies, as they came out before my time on a continent far away. I enjoyed VII much more, and after thinking about it, I realized that it was because I found the characters so much more likeable. Luke was OK, but bland. Solo actively set my teeth on edge with his smarmy act. Leia was a genuine badass, but I was always at a loss why she, a princess and a military leader with an entire galaxy to choose from, went for Solo who treated her like crap. I'd have shot him fifteen minutes in (non-fatally, he's not THAT horrible).

In contrast, the new movie has these adorable kids who are so excited about each other. I loved the mutual admiration sessions they had after each adventure, and the way they were all so genuinely kind. Even Solo was sympathetic, older and a bit wiser.

I really hope the new kids won't get sidelined in favor of Luke.
I suspect not. Abrams has said so often that this is intended to bring in a new generation. Given that, it would be shortsighted to focus too much on the old-trilogy characters, who may not resonate for much of that new audience. Even if they've seen the OT, those actors were kids then (relatively); what's interesting about them now? :P

That's not to say they can't be really useful for giving the younger characters more to do than having crushes on each other. Although I enjoyed that aspect as well! :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

It's pretty clear that Luke is being set up to serve in the mentor role occupied first by Obi-Wan and then Yoda in the original trilogy. I wouldn't worry about him overshadowing the new characters.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Unless he's turned to the dark side... think of it. All that black gear in Jedi, the arrogance, joining forces with his father to destroy the Emperor. Just sayin' :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It's not inconceivable, except that it would make the whole story about turning Luke back. I'd rather see him as a mentor—a flawed one, maybe, who is deathly afraid of failing as his father did, but still on the side of the light. That would make him a story element, not the entire plot.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I didn't know whether to post this here or in the Ireland M00t thread!

https://www.facebook.com/rtenews/videos ... 515667914/
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Cooooooool!!! :D
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Hey, what is this Rogue thing? I saw the trailer with CA:CW today. That's not episode VIII, is it?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

No. They're doing other movies beyond the main trilogy. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is the next one to be released and is the story of the secret Rebel raid that stole the Death Star plans, setting up the final battle in the very first Star Wars film. It's coming out this December. Episode VIII comes out in December 2017. A film about Han Solo's early life is scheduled for 2018. Episode IX comes out in 2019, and a film about Boba Fett is scheduled for 2020.

The Han Solo and Boba Fett films are what Disney is calling "Star Wars Anthology" films, intended to just fill in a little more history without advancing the main trilogy story.

I must admit, this longtime Star Wars geek (going back 39 years!) has a bit of a silly grin at the thought of seeing a good, new Star Wars film every year for the next five years, and probably beyond. It has been a loooooooong drought—as far as I'm concerned, going back to 1983, when Return of the Jedi was released.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Maybe even longer than that. ;)

But it remains to be seen whether the new films will be good, particularly the ancillary "Anthology" films.

ETA: Honestly, I do like RotJ, despite finding the Ewoks very annoying.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Me, too, about the Ewoks. RotJ is unquestionably the weakest of the original trilogy, but that makes it the worst of a very good lot. Luke's fight with Vader is one sequence that I think is done exactly right, and right when it counts most. The score was perfect.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Wonderful! Especially the schoolchildren's excitement at a visit from the real Chewbacca.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I loved the wonderful impersonation of Chewy's vocalisations by the little boy. :D :D :D
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:rofl: The little boy! That was cool. :D
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Rogue One official trailer (I think this is the new one).

This has a lot of potential, although it'd also be quite easy to screw it up.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Trailer.

(Are there spoilers in this thread, by the way?)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It might be good to start a spoiler thread and label this one "no spoilers." It's a long time yet until the film comes out, and there are going to be all kinds of rumors. People who don't want to be spoiled might like being able to discuss the trailers, etc., in peace. And the rest of us can say what we like.

Alternatively, we can just ask that people spoiler-tag their spoilers and keep the discussion here.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Oh my goodness!

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I can't embed this, but its a fantastic look back and ahead!

https://www.facebook.com/StarWarsLogics ... 516903405/
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Anyone have any plans to go see this? It is currently at 94% at Rotten Tomatoes (both among all critics and top critics) and 85% at Metacritic (46 positive and 3 mixed).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."