The Hobbit: TBotFA EE Anticipation thread

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Hobbit: TBotFA EE Anticipation thread

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Here's a trailer for the three day extended edition theatrical run that includes a few glimpses presumably from the BotFA EE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awxBUbZ ... e=youtu.be
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Necromancer Rising

Post by Necromancer Rising »

Yay!! Battle rams in action! Apparently, Dain's introduction seems to be quite different here than in the Theatrical Edition which undoubtedly cheers me up a lot.

There is also a quick shot of probably Gundabad Orcs which are raising their spears anticipating an attack...Eagles and Beorn i presume?
Voronwë the Faithful

I think we can expect a considerably longer and more coherent battle. Even the shot of Legolas and the bat suggests that that scene will be more coherent.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Oooh Beorn! Wonder if it'll be shown over here as well?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

That last scene - would that be Gandalf's visit to the Shire years later?
Voronwë the Faithful

Alatar wrote:Oooh Beorn! Wonder if it'll be shown over here as well?
I haven't heard anything about any theatre showings outside of the U.S., unfortunately.

Jude wrote: That last scene - would that be Gandalf's visit to the Shire years later?
I don't think so. It looks like Bilbo is in Erebor, doesn't it?
Necromancer Rising

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I think we can expect a considerably longer and more coherent battle. Even the shot of Legolas and the bat suggests that that scene will be more coherent.
A more coherent battle is one of my main expectations Voronwë. I recently made a list of what i would like from this Extended Edition from most important to less important scenes. Here it is:

1)The Funeral-Fate of Arkenstone and Orcrist
2)An extended, tighter and more cohesive editing of the main battle before Ravenhill
3)A more active role of Beorn and the Eagles
4)A scene concerning Thranduil and the Gems of Lasgalen
5)What happens to the acorn of Bilbo
6)An Extended Dol Guldur Sequence-Three Rings
7)The chariot with Dwalin and Balin in a more active role
8)Dain's coronation
9)A reference of Bard taking a share of the gold for rebuilding Laketown
10)Extended Destruction of Laketown

What i would like to see but do not think are absolutely necessary

1)Beorn's torture in Dol Guldur
2)More of Bilbo's return journey
3)A nasty fate for Alfrid
4)Radagast giving his staff to Gandalf
Voronwë the Faithful

Necromancer Rising wrote: I recently made a list of what i would like from this Extended Edition from most important to less important scenes. Here it is:

2)An extended, tighter and more cohesive editing of the main battle before Ravenhill
8)Dain's coronation
I think we are likely to see most if not all of these things, with the exception of the Gems of Lasgalen. I am doubtful that that will be included. Also, I doubt there will be any reference to Bard taking a share of the gold for rebuilding Laketown.

I hope Beorn's torture in Dol Guldur is not included. I think the other three will be.
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks to Goldeneye of TORN, here is all of the new material in the trailer from the BotFA EE:

https://youtu.be/LXBYCajZIkk

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Necromancer Rising

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Necromancer Rising wrote: I recently made a list of what i would like from this Extended Edition from most important to less important scenes. Here it is:

8)Dain's coronation
I think we are likely to see most if not all of these things, with the exception of the Gems of Lasgalen. I am doubtful that that will be included. Also, I doubt there will be any reference to Bard taking a share of the gold for rebuilding Laketown.

I hope Beorn's torture in Dol Guldur is not included. I think the other three will be.
Why don't you want that scene V? Any particular reason or it is just something you are indifferent to?
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Voronwë, that link you gave to the EEsis the same as the one you gave at the top of the page. (Except the quality of the video is even worse...) :scratch:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

It's my understanding that the EE edition will be 164 minutes and rated R. Since nobody swears and there's no sex, presumably there will be lots and lots of blood and guts.
Voronwë the Faithful

Sunsilver wrote:Voronwë, that link you gave to the EEsis the same as the one you gave at the top of the page. (Except the quality of the video is even worse...) :scratch:
I'm not sure what you are saying here, but the two links that I posted on this page are completely different. The first one, on the top of the page, is to the full trailer. The second one, two posts above your post, is to a compilation of just those scenes that appear to be new scenes from the BotFA EE used in that trailer, both at full speed and then at half speed. :scratch:
CosmicBob wrote:It's my understanding that the EE edition will be 164 minutes and rated R. Since nobody swears and there's no sex, presumably there will be lots and lots of blood and guts.
Yes, that is correct. 164 minutes, or 20 minutes longer than the theatrical release (though it is unclear at this point whether or how much there is new material that replaces old material, in addition to additions). And the rating says it is for "violence" so presumably there is no interspecies sex, nor even the infamous Tauriel shower scene to match the Dwarvish bathing scene of the AUJ EE. ;)
Voronwë the Faithful

Necromancer Rising wrote:Why don't you want that scene V? Any particular reason or it is just something you are indifferent to?
I don't like the idea of it, I think it is unnecessary, and that the time would be better spent showing other things. Like more Beorn at the battle, for instance (although apparently the Beorn material included in the trailer is simply what was included in the theatrical cut, so there is no confirmation as of yet that there will be any more of him fighting at the battle).
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

In case you have not seen the boxes for the Hobbit Trilogy Extended Edition yet:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/8 ... L1500_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/8 ... L1500_.jpg

TheHutt posted them both on the German fan-site: http://forum.herr-der-ringe-film.de/sho ... 1/fpart/21

I am really liking both designs.
Voronwë the Faithful

Here is a very short clip from the Bard v. Smaug extended scene.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Refreshingly honest, if a bit depressing.

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Wow, that....sucks. It certainly goes a long way to explaining the (generally viewed) decrease in quality between the two trilogies. :neutral: Man, it kinda pisses me off in a situation like that that nobody will say "Hey, we're going to postpone the movie till next Christmas so you can get this done right." Probably because of the money. Lame. :nono:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

That is actually sort of what they did, step back and say lets wait a year to film the most complicated part, the battle itself. Given all of the trials and tribulations that they went through to get these films made, I think what they accomplished is a triumph (and in many ways superior to the LOTR films, which I find to be even more flawed than the Hobbit films). I recognize that that opinion is neither common nor popular, but it is my own, and I stand by it. I do however, wish that they had realized the extended version of BotFA as the theatrical version, as it flows much better.

I apologize to anyone who finds these opinions offensive.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Anyone offended because you liked The Hobbit more than most needs to find better things to be upset about. :P
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists