Jazz?

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

In an unrelated note, I heard Bitches Brew recently and thought it was pretty rad. I expected I'd find it more interesting than Kind of Blue and i was right.
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

I had a crush on a pianist my freshman year of high school... One evening after band practice he sat down and played Rhapsody in Blue (yes, the entire thing) and I will be forever in his debt.

The best way to really hear Gershwin is through his piano roll cds. They took player piano rolls that George himself had cut & made cds from them about 20 years or so ago. Love, love, love. The liner notes in those discs are fabulous as well.

yov, first off :hug: miss you! Also glad you've found something you like. I was hoping we had extra money around Xmas time because I found a jazz album I really wanted to send you, but we had to use our bonus to buy our new camera outfits. I really think you should try Ann Hampton Callaway. Especially Blues In The Night (my personal favorite of her albums) which has everything from her fabulous classic 'I'm Too White To Sing The Blues' Blues to a great cover of Sondheim's No One Is Alone

I first heard her on the Toronto jazz station while I was up there & totally got hooked.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I have one of those CDs--Musical Heritage Society, right? It's cool having that kind of echo of a live performance recaptured...
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Yep!

He actually could add extra notes after he had cut a roll, so there are chords in there that would be impossible for just one pianist to play.

I so love that idea!! That even dead he's still better than the rest. :love:
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

cemthinae wrote:Yep!

He actually could add extra notes after he had cut a roll, so there are chords in there that would be impossible for just one pianist to play.

I so love that idea!! That even dead he's still better than the rest. :love:
Oh, that's sick. I love it. I say that as someone who played with six-fingered guitar chords on my Amiga back in the day. :D
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

cemthinae wrote:Brian Wilson- Reimagines Gershwin...
It's not really jazz...
"They Can't Take That Away From Me" is perfect.
Were any of Gershwin's songs really jazz to begin with? If so, what differentiates them from the popular songs of the 19th century (like Stephen Foster's) or from any other popular songs?
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Ragtime & Blues seem to work better in a jazz context, at least for me. I have all my Gershwin recordings & covers in with my jazz collection.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

cemthinae wrote:I had a crush on a pianist my freshman year of high school... One evening after band practice he sat down and played "Rhapsody in Blue" (yes, the entire thing) and I will be forever in his debt.
The audience favorite on the drum and bugle corps circuit this summer was the Madison Scouts (though the judges had them in 10th place) with a rousing version of "Rhapsody in Blue", paired with Richard Rodgers's "Slaughter on 10th Avenue".

Have you ever seen the 1930 film King of Jazz? It includes "Rhapsody" being played by Paul Whiteman's orchestra, with whom Gershwin had premiered the piece six years earlier.
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

I found out too late that the DCI finals were near where we live... :( would have been nice to experience it again. My better half has never experienced the Corp & I thought he just might love it. (My family took him to see Blast, which is great the first time, but hasn't changed much over the years... anyway, he loved it & he loves my Brass Theater recordings, so I'm pretty sure he'd love the sounds of a drum & bugle corp.)

I love the score for Slaughter, though I'm not a fan of much else involved in it.

I have not seen King of Jazz, though I did know it has one of the more beloved recordings of Rhapsody on it... which I have somewhere.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

If that means you live in Indiana, then let me note that DCI finals are scheduled for Indianapolis every year through 2018 (except 2014) so you'll have another chance.
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Yep. Good to know.

I guess I just assumed most knew where we lived... but I've never "met" you before. :) Hi!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: Jazz?

Post by yovargas »

I tried a fair bit a few years back to see if I could get into jazz. Not a lot of it stuck but here and there I did find stuff I really liked. I ended up listening to more Miles Davis than anybody, more because he's the most superdupermega revered, not because I personally ended up liking him all that much. But some stuff is cool. The song I've ended liking the most is probably this one:

I'm sharing this mostly to point out - I'm kind of a weirdo. :llama:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Nope, you're not a weirdo.

But what is weird is that every time I see the name of this thread, for just a split second I think, "Oh, there's a thread asking about my gorgeous son. I wonder why?"
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Why the weirdo comment, Yov? I didn't get it.

Rofl, Imp.

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Cuz that's a really weird song so of course it's my favorite one by Davis. :P
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yes, it is a weird song, yes, you are a weirdo, and yes that is part of why we love you! :love:

(If you really want weird you should listen to some of the recently deceased Ornette Coleman.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Haven't heard much from Coleman but I do have one from him I think is pretty cool:

-The Decemberists