General Hobbit Movie Info (AVOID IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: General Hobbit Movie Info (AVOID IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOIL

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I assume by "it" you mean BotFA, and not Colbert's EW thing. ;) If so, you've already answered the main question that I had for you!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

yovargas wrote:Has nobody posted this yet??

And here's the article to go with the photo shoot, plus Stephen Colbert' interview with Jackson...

The Fan Who Knew Too Much: Colbert Goes (Helm's) Deep With Peter Jackson
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Which I just posted in the BotFA thread. ;) (it's fine to have it in both places)

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

PJ & co talk about how much GDT there is left in the TH trilogy, and the possibility of a book or DVD about GDT's work on "The Hobbit"

http://news.moviefone.com/2014/12/19/pe ... interview/
Moviefone: Guillermo del Toro was obviously going to do this initially. How much of that original material that you guys cooked up wound up in the original films and are we ever going to get a coffee table book of his designs?

Peter Jackson: Well, Philippa can give some sense of this... But it's hard to remember. Back when Guillermo was involved there were two drafts, because it was going to be two movies. And since then they have gone through multiple revisions by Philippa, Fran [Walsh], and myself. So it's hard, because sometimes you're revising dialogue but the fundamental idea Guillermo cooked up with us, and sometimes it wasn't. So it's all very hard to break it down. But certainly multiple drafts have happened since but we plotted out the major movements. His fingerprints are in there for sure.

Philippa Boyens: Recognizing that first draft and that initial work really is why he's got that screen credit, which we all totally agreed with.

PJ: It's more than just that first draft, it's just that things branched off of the plotting and the machinations of the plot.

PB: A lot of stuff changed because, as Fran and I saw it, we were writing for a different director.

PJ: I certainly had to change it. When I direct a movie, never once in my career have I ever picked up anybody else's script. Just somewhere in my DNA, my brain just doesn't work that way. If you gave me a script that you'd written, you could pay me all the money in the world and I couldn't direct. I'd be thinking through your head, wondering what you were thinking when you wrote these words, I'd be thinking through you rather than have direct contact with the script. For me to direct a movie I have to be there, creating these scenes and actually write them. So while a lot of things Guillermo did probably did survive in terms of tones and moods and plot things and character things, it was certainly revised for me once I was director because I don't operate any other way. Otherwise, I would have been trying to make a Guillermo film. I would be thinking, What would Guillermo do? Which is the last thing in the world that I should do. Because he should make his films and I should make my films.

PB: He had some important... Like he was there when we created Tariel. That was a big deal.

PJ: It's possible that not a single line of dialogue of his survived but there are characters and things. That's why it's hard to define.

And what about a book?

PJ: As Guillermo was picking up to go, we talked about it. He said, "Wouldn't this be great?" And I said, "Yeah, when the time is right." Which, I think, from Warner Bros' point of view, is when the three movies are out on DVD, so my three films will be out and done. We all have a great idea and intention for all of Guillermo's design work, all eighteen months worth, will be out in some form, whether it's a book or a DVD supplemental feature. But he's keen to do that and I'm very keen to do that too. It'll happen at some point.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

That would be really interesting to see, but I'll believe it when I see it (or at least when it is more formally announced).
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I find it funny that PB gives partial credit to GDT for Tauriel. Burden-sharing, perhaps! :)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yeah - she said in an interview before that he was very supportive of the idea!
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Passdagas the Brown wrote:I find it funny that PB gives partial credit to GDT for Tauriel. Burden-sharing, perhaps! :)
I don't really see what is funny about it or surprising. I think most filmmakers adapting The Hobbit would have been likely to add a significant female character.

According to Luke Evans, originally Sigrid was going to be his wife, and they would then have had only two children, Tilda and Bain. It was Luke's own suggestion to change it so that he would be widower, which I think was a good choice.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

It just seems funny that it's the only specific element of the script that they single out as being a partially GDT idea. Can't help but think that PB may be deflecting some rabid purist fan criticism!
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Am I right in thinking that at the time GDT was still involved it would have been Itaril? Didn't Tauriel evolve after GDT left? Still an Elf, I know, but originally the love affair was going to be with an Elf of Rivendell, wasn't it? I read recently elsewhere that Aiden Turner actually auditioned as an Elf, so now it makes me wonder if he was always ear-marked ( ;) ) for the 'romantic lead' role, but it got switched to "hot" dwarf once the warrior Tauriel came on the scene...
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I think that is right. The earliest reference to Tauriel that I can find is from June 19, 2011, which is around when Jackson announced her on Facebook: http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/g ... 786#364786

Though I don't think that Itaril cast announcement was ever confirmed as accurate, was it? Nonetheless I agree that there is a good chance that the conception under GdT would have been to have an Elf/Elf romance. Which potentially could have been either 1) better; 2) worse; or 3) about the same. ;)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Talking of Elves taking over...the wonderful PeckishOwl wraps up the Trilogy:

http://peckishowl.deviantart.com/art/Oa ... -503211615

:rofl:
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I loved the PekishOwl piece you posted at TORN (now we'll BOTH have to go to the wedding!) Not so impressed with this one, I'm afraid.
Voronwë the Faithful

I think this is beautifully written and I was quite moved by it. Take it for whatever it is worth to you.

My Love Letter to The Hobbit
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

(Wasn't sure of a good place to put this so...)

Way, way back when I first heard they were making a LOTR movie, I had the thought that I'd like it if the orcs looked similar to the orcs in the super-popular video game franchise Warcraft. Some 15 years later, of course they are in the process of making Warcraft into a movie and today they released the first pics of what one of the orc characters looks like:

What do you think, would this have been a good look for LOTR orcs? Personally, I think it looks really great - vastly cooler than no Azog!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Other than the teeth, that isn't too bad, but the teeth are so ridiculous as to completely overwhelm anything else in the design. Thank Eru there was nothing like that in the Jackson films.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Zug zug.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Shrink the lower jaw and lose the facial hair, and that would be indistinguishable from a Weta orc, I think.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I was really pleased with the look of the Orcs in LotR. They looked like ruined Elves, not generic green skinned fantasy Orks. Thats a perfect look for Warcraft, but not for Tolkien IMO.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Other than the teeth, that isn't too bad, but the teeth are so ridiculous as to completely overwhelm anything else in the design. Thank Eru there was nothing like that in the Jackson films.
Did you just say there were no ridiculous and overwhelming design decisions in PJ's movies?? :shock:

I like the teeth. :P
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists