Beyond the bounds of Earth

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Beyond the bounds of Earth

Post by Primula Baggins »

For beauty from beyond the circles of the world.

To begin:

Not computer art. This is a composite of photos from NASA's Cassini spacecraft. I don't think my tax dollars have ever done more beautiful work. :love:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Post by ArathornJax »

Prim,

Here is a link that shows not only a similar image of Saturn, but you can see Earth as a light blue star in the upper left of the rings on Saturn's left side.

My other passion is amateur astronomy and here are a couple digital sketches I've done based on observational sketches I've done at my telescopes:

The Double Star Algiebro in the Constellation Leo

Iota Orionis in the constellation Orion.

I won't bore anyone with more, and yes, there is plenty more. Fun hobby, great people and I love it.
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

We're not the least bit bored! Keep showing them! :)
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Post by ArathornJax »

This is NGC 1535, an object called a planetary nebula. No planets involved, this is a star similar to our sun that has lived out it's existence and has shed its outer shell (the nebula part) and has only a dense core around the size of earth left, called a white dwarf. The are one of my favorite objects because outside of double stars (or more) that have color, these items are some of the few that show color. Most items you see are black and white.

By the time our sun reaches this stage in about 5 billion years Mercury, Venus and possibly the Earth (likely) will be consumed by the Sun as it expands out to become a Red Giant. The Earth may survive as a planet but everything will have been evaporated or melted away by the time this stage is reached. The nickname for NGC 1535 is Cleopatra's Eye, probably from the color of the planetary.

This is a actual picture taken from a 20 inch telescope designed to take pictures (I like sketching them, its A LOT cheaper).

NGC 1535

Any differences are from the size of the scopes between what I viewed and recorded in my sketch, vs. what was made from a series of photo's taken of the object.
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Wow, AJ! Gorgeous! We have an 8-inch scope but haven't had a chance to use it much (too many trees and too much city light where we are). I will have to remember to look for planetary nebulae, the next time we have it out where the seeing is good.

I just like seeing things for myself. The thought that I am looking at this planet, or nebula, or cluster of stars and seeing it as it is (or was when the light left it) with my own eyes—that gives me a shiver.

I love looking at the moon, too. The surface is right in my lap, hugely wider than the field of view. I can almost feel its texture. Cold and lonely dust; harsh light and absolute shadows. Utter stillness.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That is beautiful, AJ!

I have a small telescope that I don't know how to use. :( It came without an instruction manual, and my efforts to figure it out on my own have had limited success. I did recently manage to get Venus in my sights, and we could see that it was in a gibbous phase--which thrilled me to no end!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Re: Beyond the bounds of Earth

Post by Impenitent »

Some awe-inspiring photos of OUR UNIVERSE

Here's just one of them:
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That's gorgeous! Cameras can see so much better than our eyes can—if you looked at a nebula like that through an optical telescope, it would be gray; our color vision can't collect enough photons to register. Cameras can, especially with long exposures. And, of course, images are sometimes combinations of different kinds of telescopes, and the images are colored falsely to show what kind of telescope saw which part. But the results are beautiful, and some of the images at the link are the colors we would see if we were close enough (and not looking at it through an atmosphere).
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Awe-inspiring, isn't it?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Mind blowing.

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Imagine living on a planet in the middle of nebulae like that—having that in your night sky.

(Well, I guess I did imagine it. :P)
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

And now I'm imagining it again :) .
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:D

And here's another sunset on Mars, taken by the Curiosity Rover.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages/ima ... _hires.jpg

Full raw image:

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images ... 0_DXXX.jpg
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Oooooooh, that's cooooooool.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

WOW! I second Yov that is coooooool

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Here it is:

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

The sun looks so little! I mean...of course it does, at almost twice the distance from earth, but actually SEEING it. Blows my mind.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It's small, and cold, and lonely, and you can imagine the whistle of the wind if the atmosphere were thick enough for you to hear it.

But it's a world. A landscape. Our people will walk there someday, maybe even live there.

(It's a little over half again as far from the sun as we are—161 million miles compared to 93 million.)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I wonder if other animals have evolved something similar to our ability to appreciate "beauty". I think of that while looking at that picture because in a way it is odd that we often find these kinds of raw, extreme, brutal, inhospitable places (glaciers, deserts, oceans, space, ect) deeply "beautiful" when, evolutionarily speaking, you'd think fear would be the more useful emotion. But then, our species' adventurous spirit has gotten us quite far - and will likely lead us much farther....
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I saw this image on Instagram and loved it instantly:

Because it looks like a shot from a science fiction film, but it's real. Not the future; five years ago. U.S. astronaut Tracy Caldwell Dyson enjoying the view from the International Space Station.