The Theory of Everything

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: The Theory of Everything

Post by Primula Baggins »

I've had them not go through, too.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

I saw this film recently.
And while I'd have preferred a little less romance and a little more science, it's a thoroughly engrossing movie.
I was close to tears at several occasions (and I ain't really a crying-type of cinemagoer).
Redman really owns the role and it might also turn out to be the most significant role of his career. I haven't seen any of the other best actor contender films of this year, but it'll take a lot to beat this guy.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Redmayne was a force. By far one of the best performances I have seen in a very long time. A career-defining role.

Too bad he was let down by scriptwriters/ filmmakers who were more interested in the theory of love triangles than the theory of everything. Instead of illuminating the creative and sometimes chaotic process of theoretical physics, it boils it all down to awfully bland (and swift) cliches, so that it can move onto the far more important question of "will she get with her choir teacher?" which takes up almost half the film.

Like SV, I teared up a number of times. I was moved and inspired. But just when I thought the film would reach a height, it would come crashing down into the mud and banality of every other Hollywood romance. By the time we were inter-cutting between a fateful hospitalization and a scene of infidelity, I had checked out. If one didn't know anything about Hawking, and watched this film, this is what they would learn: "Boy, this guy had a crummy life, but he's like, really smart! I know that because of that scene of him writing an equation on a board..."

But someone hand Redmayne his Oscar now. Noone's going to beat him (though Felicity Jones comes close...).
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

I don't disagree with that.
But since the movie was adapted from a book by Jane Hawking and deals with his personal life more than his scientific theories, I expected it. Though, as I said, some more science would have been great.

I read somewhere that upon watching te film, Hawking said it helped him reflect on his entire life so far.

PS: Felicity Jones doesn't really come close to Redmayne's acting genius here, but she was still excellent. (and so were the rest of the cast)
Passdagas the Brown

True, but Jane Hawking treats Stephen Hawking's intellectual pursuits during her time with him in great detail. The film boils this down to writing equations on a blackboard and realizing that black holes leak radiation by staring at a fire... It's very banal, conventional "lone genius" Hollywood stuff, and made me believe that Ron Howard had secretly directed it. Science is far more intense and collaborative than that.

In any case, I would also feel compelled to think about the choices I made in my personal life if a film spent a lot of time raking over those coals. But I imagine Hawking would have appreciated a less shorthand version of the scientific process.

Lastly, why does it take this kind of almost soap opera-ish material (understanding that a lot of it actually happened) to make a film about a scientist's life? Has it been decided by a Hollywood committee that the exploration of the fundamentals of the universe is ultimately too boring for a general public?

Perhaps I have too much faith in the intelligence of the broader public, but I still believe that filmmakers need to stop talking down to everyone.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Perhaps I have too much faith in the intelligence of the broader public
*Crosses 'Jonathan Gruber' off the list of candidates of "who PtB is in real life"*
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Has it been decided by a Hollywood committee that the exploration of the fundamentals of the universe is ultimately too boring for a general public?
Yes.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Passdagas the Brown

Darn it!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

yovargas wrote:
Passdagas the Brown wrote:Has it been decided by a Hollywood committee that the exploration of the fundamentals of the universe is ultimately too boring for a general public?
Yes.
Wise Hippo.

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude