The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies fan reviews... SPOILERS

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies fan reviews... SP

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

For me it is just the opposite! I dislike 3D except with the HFR, which makes it so much smoother and less headache-inducing. That having been said, I fully endorse you guys not seeing it in HFR since it is likely to just ruin the experience for you. However, I do think that to some extent the differing experiences that people have had with HFR is partly due to different quality theaters, which is why I am stoked to be seeing it in one of the highest quality theaters in the world.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

I like this comment from the amusingly-named L. Ron Halfelven at TORN:
In narrative terms the movie leaves a number of loose ends dangling, but on an emotional level it rounds the story off beautifully and feels right. I felt quite a bit better about the trilogy as a whole having seen it.
Would you agree with that, Tele?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Telemachos

Post by Telemachos »

For me, 3D always looks a bit artificial, just by its very nature. So in terms of the complaints that 3D HFR doesn't "look like film", my response is, "Of course it doesn't! And neither does regular 3D!" For me, the incredible clarity of the image, the lack of stuttering during pans or tracking/swooping shots, the overall brightness -- all of this more than compensates for me occasionally spotting something "stagy" (which, frankly, happens sometimes for me even with normal movies).

Cameron is shooting the AVATAR sequels in HFR... it'll be interesting to see how another director's version of it looks.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Question: why is "brightness" seen as a good thing? My main problem with the aesthetics of these films (apart from the HFR) is that they seem incredibly over lit. Just compare the Bag End interior scenes in FOTR to those in AUJ. The latter have light sources coming from all over the place (including the ceiling), while the former seems to generally reflect natural light sources (with all the attendant shadows). I laughed at loud when in AUJ, Gandalf said: "Let us have a little more light!" Seemed like an inside joke.
Telemachos

Post by Telemachos »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Question: why is "brightness" seen as a good thing? My main problem with the aesthetics of these films (apart from the HFR) is that they seem incredibly over lit. Just compare the Bag End interior scenes in FOTR to those in AUJ. The latter have light sources coming from all over the place (including the ceiling), while the former seems to generally reflect natural light sources (with all the attendant shadows). I laughed at loud when in AUJ, Gandalf said: "Let us have a little more light!" Seemed like an inside joke.
Brightness because one of the huge downsides to 3D is a lot of light is lost during projection (because it has to pass through polarized glasses). I'm not refering to the brightness of the image as planned by the DP and/or director... just to the light lost during the presentation, which (if you watch a typical 3D presentation) is actually dimmer than what they want.

Generally speaking, I think PJ's always been too bright with his night scenes, even in LOTR. It's great for showing off the fantastic work that the production team did with their sets, but less dramatic than I would prefer (perfect example: Moria).
Voronwë the Faithful

Hey Tele, another question for you, though I think I probably know the answer. Is there any sense that Sauron is feigning being defeated so that he can withdraw to Mordor. I doubt it, but I was wondering.
Telemachos

Post by Telemachos »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Hey Tele, another question for you, though I think I probably know the answer. Is there any sense that Sauron is feigning being defeated so that he can withdraw to Mordor. I doubt it, but I was wondering.
No sense of that at all.
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

My Hobbit marathon starts in six hours. I am going to see "The Battle of the Five Armies" in twelve hours. I won't publish a review today, but be sure to look out for it on Wednesday. Should I post it here or will there be a specific "Hall-of-Fire-review-thread"?

And now, I go forth and prepare for glory! :horse:
Voronwë the Faithful

I think this thread should suffice. I look forward to hearing your thoughts, both about BotFA specifically and the experience of seeing all three in a row.

Have fun!!!!!11
Voronwë the Faithful

Now that folks at TORN are actually seeing the film (at least the Europeans), comments there are suddenly much more positive than when people were just angsting over the comments that others have made.

And the consensus seems to be that Dain is not CGI (other than long shots on the pig, etc.).
Voronwë the Faithful

We should be hearing from Beutlin soon, no?
Telemachos

Post by Telemachos »

An acquaintance of mine (on another board) just saw it in Germany, and (mostly) loved it. (To be fair, he also really enjoyed parts 1 and 2).
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, I mostly enjoyed the first two as well, particularly DoS, so hopefully I'll agree with him again.

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
Necromancer Rising

Post by Necromancer Rising »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Now that folks at TORN are actually seeing the film (at least the Europeans), comments there are suddenly much more positive than when people were just angsting over the comments that others have made.

And the consensus seems to be that Dain is not CGI (other than long shots on the pig, etc.).
And the consensus from imdb members who have watched the film claim the same thing about Dain. And even there,so far,the comments are much more positive so far which is a bit encouraging. I cannot believe i have to wait 8 days until it opens in my country :bawl:
Voronwë the Faithful

We'll know every detail by the time we get to see it!

---------
Necromancer Rising

Post by Necromancer Rising »

I avoid reading the detailed descriptions of specific scenes so far. I only have a general idea of what happens. I am still in the dark as far as the execution is concerned. When are you seeing it Voronwë?
Voronwë the Faithful

12/19 in New York. If you look down a few threads, there is one called "When will you be seeing BotFA?"

Good for you at avoiding spoilers. Not I, I'm afraid.

---------
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Now that folks at TORN are actually seeing the film (at least the Europeans), comments there are suddenly much more positive than when people were just angsting over the comments that others have made.
But holy moley are those people obsessed with Beorn.
Voronwë the Faithful

Some of them. I'm perfectly happy with the reports of what we are getting of Beorn in the TE, particularly since (like with DoS), we can look forward to more in the EE. From all reports, the largest focus is on Bilbo's relationship with Thorin, which pleases me very much.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Are these the same people who wailed about him looking like Sonic the Hedgehog in the last movie?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End