The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by Impenitent »

Gentlemen's Agreement is one that stands the test of time. Gregory Peck.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Primula Baggins wrote:I wish we would see more of that in any kind of film about someone with special powers. When is it right to decide not to use them? What happens when you meet a problem you can't solve by leaping tall buildings in a single bound? Or one you shouldn't solve at all? To me, that's where the interesting stories lie.
But that is so for every person; sometimes there is a problem before you that you could solve, partially if not wholly, but it's not your problem to solve, and the best decision you can make is to let it be, leave it to someone else. As a parent, you have to make that line decision with problems pertaining to your children; and as a friend you have to do it with problems pertaining to your friends...lovers, parents, workmates...as a counsellor or doctor or social worker...in many roles we all take.

Sometimes the problem is not yours to solve, even if you know you can muscle through it. Sometimes you have to refrain from using your 'superpowers'.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That's exactly it. It's a human problem. Superheroes can be boring because they can solve most human problems by exerting their superpowers, or if all else fails, by flying away from the situation.

But some human problems can't be solved by a superhero intervening. Or a loved one. Sometimes you just have to stand and wait (and hope).

:hug:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Jurassic Park - I love this movie. It's well-cast and the effects still generally hold up. The dino chases and stuff are exciting, but it's actually well-paced so that plenty of time is spent on buildup and they don't overly dominate the film - contemporary blockbusters could learn a lot from it. Too bad about the sequels.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Just watched Captain America: Winter Soldier and thought it was pretty good fun but not particularly remarkable. I'm taken aback looking online and seeing that a lot of people thought it amongst the best of the best superhero movies. Not really getting that.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

After watching the original Alien for the first time in July, I watched the sequel Aliens tonite and am happy to be able to say it's damn near as terrifically terrifying as the original. 8)
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Fury. Damn, that's as close to an old time war movie as you get.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Gone Girl.

It worked for me - some pretty good acting there, and the script has nice twists.

I tell ya, it makes one think of one's next anniversary in a whole different way. :er:
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Dear White People!
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

What!!?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I saw this move you should check out! :D
-The Decemberists

WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Dracula Untold.

Bard makes a fine-looking Impaler. Interesting visuals of bats swarming.

That's about all I have to say about that.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

We finally, finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy on what was probably its last week in theaters. I have to say I was disappointed. There were some funny lines, and several likable characters, but way too many elaborate screen-filling action sequences that went on too long. Including many, many hand-to-hand fights with lots of crunching and smashing sounds.

Can an adventure story no longer be told without a four-minute fight every seven minutes? Yes, it's just a comic-book movie, but I'd been led to believe it was better than most—and it was science fiction, not set on Earth, which always attracts me. I go to action movies in theaters hoping to be roused and amused and moved, but lately the constant battles have taken over.

I am NOT their demographic, so it's my problem; obviously they did really well with this film. But I do hunger for good science fiction movies—ones that require a brain, that are capable of inducing awe. I never expected that from Guardians, of course, but it seemed reasonable to hope for a good story and some strong characters.

Interstellar is next—soon, I hope. My son saw it and said he thought I would love it. He didn't buy the ending (whatever it is), but thought I would.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I loved the humor and irreverence of Guardians of the Galaxy (including the genius use of the 80s soundtrack), but found myself sighing every five minutes when an action sequence started. The character scenes, and the humor, was all so much more enjoyable than the forgettable action, that I have difficulty understanding why there was so much of it in there. I have hopes for this franchise, as I enjoy the world that's been created, but I hope the next installment recognizes that people liked the first movie because it was funny, not because it had cool action scenes (though of course, I could be completely wrong about why most people liked it...)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Aw, pity you didn't care for it much. As long as the characters and story are fun, I don't usually mind all the flashy spectacle and action that modern blockbusters are jam packed with but I totally get why it gets tedious for so many people. I figure at some point movies will get to a point where the action spectacle just gets bigger and bigger until there's really no room left to top the last big explosion-a-then. Maybe then regular audiences will get action fatigue and start seeking more story-centrist movies.
-The Decemberists

Passdagas the Brown

For me, it's more that I was annoyed that there wasn't more of the humor and fun. Every time there was a 5-20 minute action sequence, I couldn't help think that we could have been spending that time with the hilarious group instead. I especially wanted more of Drax the Destroyer, and his wonderful slavery to literalism:

"Nothing goes over my head! My reflexes are too fast. I would catch it."

Reminds me of some of my German colleagues. :devil:
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I watched "Guardians of the Galaxy" on the plane ride home a couple of weeks ago. I LOVED it. I thought it was the perfect mixture of humour, whimsy, adventure, fancy fighting and cool characters.

And I cried when
Hidden text.
Groot "died" protecting all his friends. Yes, I did.

"I am Groot."
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Now there is a serious spoiler for those of us who haven't seen it. Oh well.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Not exactly precisely. But spoiler tags would be appropriate, I agree.
Passdagas the Brown

It's more of a spoiler and less of a spoiler than you think it might be. :)