Guy Gavriel Kay: Fionovar, The Silmarillion, etc.

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Tyrhael

Guy Gavriel Kay: Fionovar, The Silmarillion, etc.

Post by Tyrhael »

Hi! I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I saw this article posted on G+ (thanks to Jeremiah Burns) and thought some of you might be interested. :whistle:
Guy Gavriel Kay: ‘I learned a lot about false starts from JRR Tolkien’

Thirty years ago, the first in Kay’s bestselling Fionovar Tapestry fantasy trilogy was published – but before that, a stint helping Christopher Tolkien assemble The Silmarillion showed him the ‘drudgery and mistakes’ that lie behind every great work
Link to full article at The Guardian
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Guy Gavriel Kay: Fionovar, The Silmarillion, etc.

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Very interesting. It is rare to ever see Kay comment at all on his experience working on The Silmarillion, as I understand him to be somewhat bitter about the experience.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Great article - thanks Tyrhael... I loved Kay's earlier books (Fionavar, Tigana, Arbonne) but couldn't get into the Sarantine series. Perhaps it's time to give them another go...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Interesting article. Haven't heard him speak about The Silm before either.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

So, I saw a first edition hardcover of The Sil on sale today for $100.00. It was autographed by Guy Kay. It sold before the day was over.

Hmmm...had NO IDEA my first edition was worth that much! And I never, ever thought of getting Kay to sign it.

He didn't show for his autograph session at the con today, or, if he did, I had to leave to tend to my doggies before he showed. Maybe if I take my copy of The Sil along, I can catch him tomorrow. Or at some other con... He's a popular guest at Toronto fantasy/SF conventions, and I've run into him many times.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.