Movies you stopped watching, and why

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
anthriel
halo optional

Re: Movies you stopped watching, and why

Post by anthriel »

1999: Episode I: Star Wars- The Phantom Menace
2002: Episode II: Star Wars- Attack Of The Clones
2005: Episode III: Star Wars- Revenge Of The Sith

Except that I DID watch them... except for EpIII, I actually walked out on that one. And I took popcorn breaks every time there was a "love" scene between Anakin and Padme. Some things are beyond endurance.
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Cerin wrote:Sunsilver, it sounds as though you are a horse person, and could spot every false move in 'Flicka'. I will make it a point to avoid that movie. Do you have some favorite horse movies?
Missed this the first time around...

For chemistry between human and horse, you can't beat The Black Stallion. The scenes filmed when they are stranded on the island are magical.

Things go downhill quite a bit when they return to civilization, though, and there are a few serious plot holes, but the film was good enough overall for me to forgive them.

1) This horse is a total unknown with no papers, no pedigree. How could they POSSIBLY let him race on a track, where everything is controlled to the nth degree? (For instance, a horse's lip tattoo is checked before it is allowed to set foot on the track before a race to confirm its identity, only pedigree thoroughbreds are allowed to take part, etc.)

2) There are equally strict rules governing jockeys in races. How would they ever permit a young kid (pre-teen) to ride in a race?

3) One shot shows the horses stabled in the hay mow of the barn. Um, no. The urine would quickly rot out the floor, and the horses would fall through into the stable, which is where they SHOULD have been in the first place! I know this was done for cinematic effect, as most stables in old bank barns are rather low-ceilinged and dimly lit, while hay mows have huge doors to allow tractors with large loads of hay to drive into them. Open those doors, and PRESTO! You have lots of natural light to shoot your scene.

The Derby Stallion, a made-for-TV movie is also very good. Secretariat is also worth a watch. And many a person has fallen in love with the Fresian horse, after watching the movie, Ladyhawke! If you are a horse-lover, I strongly suggest checking out the links. Ditto if you like Rutger Hauer... :D :horse:

http://kingdomofhorses.com/the-movie-th ... ladyhawke/
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Speaking of the Coppola family, I tried to watch Francis Ford's Tetro a couple years back.Some have hailed it as his best latter-day (post-Apocalypse Now) movie, but I found it really pretentious and boring and couldn't even get halfway through. It's worse than Godfather III, though that movie has a few parts I like.

He's still one of my favorite directors despite his massive inconsistency though - the big four from the 70s are just that good.
Last edited by kzer_za on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

My theory is that Francis Ford Coppola, Martin Scorcese, etc, simply get less impressive over time because after a while, their personal experiences become more and more about "making movies." When Scorcese made Taxi Driver, most of his life had been a struggle. By the time you get to Gangs of New York, Scorcese has spent most of his life making movies (and lots of them very big movies). And IMO, that's why his films increasingly feel self-consciously cinematic, as opposed to cinematic due to the potency of the realism in the story. He's just not getting his hands dirty anymore.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I like Gangs of New York quite a bit more than Taxi Driver, which I don't think is a very a good film.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:My theory is that Francis Ford Coppola, Martin Scorcese, etc, simply get less impressive over time because after a while, their personal experiences become more and more about "making movies." When Scorcese made Taxi Driver, most of his life had been a struggle. By the time you get to Gangs of New York, Scorcese has spent most of his life making movies (and lots of them very big movies). And IMO, that's why his films increasingly feel self-consciously cinematic, as opposed to cinematic due to the potency of the realism in the story. He's just not getting his hands dirty anymore.
In Coppola's case, I wonder how much the chaotic and arduous process of making Apocalypse Now took out of him.
Passdagas the Brown

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I like Gangs of New York quite a bit more than Taxi Driver, which I don't think is a very a good film.
No comment. :)
Voronwë the Faithful

8)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Ok, I'll comment. The following statement is incorrect:
Taxi Driver, which I don't think is a very a good film.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Ok, I'll comment. The following statement is incorrect:
Taxi Driver, which I don't think is a very a good film.
That statement cannot be "incorrect" since it is an opinion. Unless you are saying that Voronwë actually DOESN'T think it's not a very good film.

If Voronwë had said
Taxi Driver, which is not a very a good film.
then you might have a case.

But you don't.

:p
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Passdagas the Brown

Jewel,

Thank you for explaining the incorrectness of my joke. :) But my guess is that Voronwë will understand that I was simply poking fun at him (which he enjoys).

-PtB
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

:D

Did I ruin the joke?

My experience after being in "Movies" on TORC is that nobody jokes. It's all deadly serious.

I have never seen "Taxi Driver." I wonder if I'd like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I saw it recently on a long distance flight so it was heavily censored. That said I found it lived up to its reputation and I'd love to see the uncut version.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

The Exorcist.

Because Satan and demons.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I tried watching 'Taxi Driver' once, in the days of supermarket VCR rentals. The tape wouldn't play. I took it as a sign. :D

I had thought for years that I'd never seen a Scorsese film, but I recently realized that the most irritating film ever made, was directed by Scorsese. And I'd blamed Coppola for years! I'm not sure why I thought the latter had directed the film.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Voronwë the Faithful

Cerin, what film is that you are referring to as "the most irritating film ever made?"
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I thought people might like to guess. :)
Voronwë the Faithful

Oh, okay. No clue, for my part, since you obviously are not referring to Taxi Driver.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

It involved excessive simpering, a curly do and a maddeningly ambiguous ending. (And I don't say the blame rests with the director, as it was an adaptation.)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I just Googled "scorsese simpering curly" and something came right up.
Hidden text.
Was it The Age of Innocence? :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King