Robin Williams, RIP

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Robin Williams, RIP

Post by Frelga »

News is just beginning to spread. Initial announcement was suicide due to asphyxia, following a struggle with depression.

A man who brought so much joy to so many.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Griffon64

Re: Robin Williams, RIP

Post by Griffon64 »

Oh no! :(

( On a side note, seeing the news on CNN made me wish that news websites wouldn't ... SPLASH that kind of news quite so loudly on their front pages. Yes, I understand why. I worked for a newspaper, after all! But, still ... you know, news is about people. Robin Williams had family, friends ... and they will see the news in big bold type if they open any news site today. )
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I was shocked to hear the news. Such a brilliant, unique talent.

Shazbat!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"You are the one who can make us all laugh
But doing that you break out in tears
Please don't be sad if it was a straight mind you had
We wouldn't have known you all these years"
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

So very, very sad about this news...
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Very saddened by the news. He was a great talent, with an infectious, wild sense of fun but also the ability to go deep. It's hard to imagine the despair that must have eaten away at someone so seemingly full of life.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I've been listening to interviews of comedians by another comedian, Paul Gilmartin, on his podcast, The Mental Illness Happy Hour. I don't know Robin William's history, but so many of the people interviewed on Gilmartin's podcast developed a strong sense of humor and the ability to sway an audience as a desperate attempt to survive an awful childhood. These comedians had a great happy-mask even when feeling despair inside. Williams' apparent suicide saddens me deeply, but does not surprise me.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Just woke up to the news...so sad. it sounds like he had been fighting this depression for years and was determined to keep on top of it.... :(
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Just woke up to the news...so sad. it sounds like he had been fighting this depression for years and had been determined to keep on top of it.... :(
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

His characters were not just funny, but so very human and kind.
:(
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

O Captain, my Captain! :(
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Rest in Peace, Mr Williams! Though he seems to have despaired many times during his life, he drove despair away for a lot of people. A true Brahmin, and a life well-lived, from my perspective.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

When I first saw the news, I rejected it. I wanted it to be a mistake. But then they announced it on NPR and it's slowly sinking in.

In some ways, this is bothering me more than the death of Kurt Vonnegut. Maybe because Vonnegut was 84. It's normal to die at 84. It's no longer normal to die at 63.

I'm going to leave some flowers at the Mork and Mindy house.

Good night, Vietnam.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... src=fol_tw

Of all his movies, The Fisher King is by far the most uncomfortable to watch. The primal madness he pulled out of his own personal hell for the role is not only raw but intimate in a way I'm not sure I can do justice to with words. I may steel myself to watch it again. But only during daylight.