The History of the Silmarils - a serialization

A forum for our members to collaborate on scripts adapted from Tolkien's works, patterned on the massive LOTR screenplay authored by ToshoftheWuffingas.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I really like Nasmith's landscapes and panoramic views. A lot of his character close-ups look odd to me, though.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Unlike, PtB, I'm a big fan of Nasmith's Middle-earth art (I was even before he contacted me to tell me how much he liked Arda Reconstructed).
Sorry I wasn't clear. I like Nasmith's artwork quite a bit (especially his panoramas, and most of his structures)! Sometimes he is absolutely spot on. I just don't think he's the best out of a talented bunch. For my tastes, Alan Lee and Cor Blok are at the top of the heap.

For me, Nasmith falls down a bit with his close-up character portraits. Something off about his faces, and his costumes. For example:

http://tednasmith.mymiddleearth.com/201 ... d-faramir/
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I don't really try to chose among them. I agree that Nasmith is better with landscapes, panoramas and architecture than he is with character portraits. And I don't at all care for Cor Blok, though I know that Tolkien did.

However, I'll contradict myself by saying that my two favorite Tolkien illustrators are Pauline Baynes and J.R.R. Tolkien. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

I agree that Tolkien's illustration style is perfect for his own stories, and I'll take his work over my non-Tolkien favorites as well. And I think Baynes' drawings are delightful, if sometimes a little twee.

Blok evokes dark age, pre-perspective, pre-Renaissance European art forms, which I find very appropriate for Middle Earth. Next to Tolkien, he's the best, IMO.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Most Tolkien artists have their various strengths and weaknesses, including Tolkien, though I love his drawings very much, ( we have a long-standing thread in Shibboleth for anyone who's interested) and I think we're all agreed on what Nasmith's are! That painting has always been a favourite of mine, so I'm glad I was able to bring to those who haven't seen it before. :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Elen....... congratulations on your completion of the epic work translating the SILMARILLION into cinema. When I think of those who fell to the wayside along the way but you were always there leading the charge - you indeed are a hero worth of Fëanor battling the Balrogs.

:bow:

Now that my life is back to myself and I am in my second retirement, one of my goals is to read your work and catch myself up on what I missed out on.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

sf, you should definitely be proud of your contributions to this massive effort.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Is it really over? :cry:
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

sauronsfinger wrote:Elen....... congratulations on your completion of the epic work translating the SILMARILLION into cinema. When I think of those who fell to the wayside along the way but you were always there leading the charge - you indeed are a hero worth of Fëanor battling the Balrogs.

Now that my life is back to myself and I am in my second retirement, one of my goals is to read your work and catch myself up on what I missed out on.
I may have been leading the charge but you were always there supporting and encouraging everyone in your effusive and generous manner, and as V rightly says, your contributions were monumental in conceptualizing the darker side of M-e, as well as your keen eye for set design and large-scale action set pieces (a kind of Dan Hennah/PJ rolled into one) - we couldn't have done it without you! :hug:

I certainly hope you will be able find the time to indulge in catching up on the seasons you missed - and the earlier ones to relive some happy memories!

I should also give a mention to Ethelwynn who stood by my side the longest, gave us the benefit of her SCA experience, and provided the human touches that kept the rest of us grounded! Her knack and talent for characterization is most admirable and I hope that she will continue to enjoy her creative writing in the future as she recuperates from major surgery. :hug:

PtB wrote:Is it really over? :cry:
That's up to you guys - if you want to take on another project yourselves, I'd be interested in supporting you, but I think I've earned my retirement! :whew:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Congrats Elen! I look forward to reading the entire series at some stage. :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

:cheers: Al!
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Do you have a Word doc of the complete piece that I could convert for my Kindle?
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Alatar wrote:Do you have a Word doc of the complete piece that I could convert for my Kindle?

I want that, I do! :D
Last edited by Smaug's voice on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Alatar wrote:Do you have a Word doc of the complete piece that I could convert for my Kindle?
Yes, I can send each episode individually or in chunks - I thought I had already sent you Seasons 1-4 a couple of years ago? :scratch:
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

You had, but I wasn't sure if they had been updated! If you want to send me in episodes or chunks, I can combine indo one Doc and convert to a few Ereader formats if anyone else is interested?
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Elentári wrote:
sauronsfinger wrote:Elen....... congratulations on your completion of the epic work translating the SILMARILLION into cinema. When I think of those who fell to the wayside along the way but you were always there leading the charge - you indeed are a hero worth of Fëanor battling the Balrogs.

I may have been leading the charge but you were always there supporting and encouraging everyone in your effusive and generous manner, and as V rightly says, your contributions were monumental in conceptualizing the darker side of M-e, as well as your keen eye for set design and large-scale action set pieces (a kind of Dan Hennah/PJ rolled into one) - we couldn't have done it without you! :hug:

I certainly hope you will be able find the time to indulge in catching up on the seasons you missed - and the earlier ones to relive some happy memories!

I should also give a mention to Ethelwynn who stood by my side the longest, gave us the benefit of her SCA experience, and provided the human touches that kept the rest of us grounded! Her knack and talent for characterization is most admirable and I hope that she will continue to enjoy her creative writing in the future as she recuperates from major surgery. :hug:

PtB wrote:Is it really over? :cry:
That's up to you guys - if you want to take on another project yourselves, I'd be interested in supporting you, but I think I've earned my retirement! :whew:
Many thanks for the kind words to both you and Voronwë. I guess I did find my niche in the darker side of Middle-earth. I wonder what about that attracts me?

But it was you Elen - it was you who pulled this off and you should be very proud.

And I will read everything!!!!!!
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

sauronsfinger wrote:But it was you Elen - it was you who pulled this off and you should be very proud.

And I will read everything!!!!!!
And you helped me find the motivation and inspiration - thank you, my friend! :kiss:

Alatar wrote:You had, but I wasn't sure if they had been updated! If you want to send me in episodes or chunks, I can combine indo one Doc and convert to a few Ereader formats just in anyone else is interested?
I don't think anything was changed any further back, but I'll resend Season 4, just in case, with the latest two - Thanks. :)
~Diana Cortes
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Alatar wrote:You
had, but I wasn't sure if they had been updated! If you want to send
me in episodes or chunks, I can combine indo one Doc and convert to a
few Ereader formats if anyone else is interested?
I am intetested!
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

I am still interested in the work! :)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

:oops:

Sorry! I promise I will get to it. RL (TM) has been taking all of my time!