Hobbit Video Diary links and discussion

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Ah, one of the Dwelves! 8)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:suspicious: :P

Well, there were those lonely nights in Middle-earth. A burly Dwarf, a lovely Elf maiden...you know how it goes...
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Gack!

Yes, I have finally seen it! :woohoo:

It looks really promising. Very alarming colors in that forest, but I bought his explanation about how it would be toned down in the final product.

I've just sent the link to my son, who just finished shooting a project on a Red camera. Though not 3D. It was his first major job as DP, too.

Technical stuff aside? I'm geeking out. Totally. Elrond! and Bilbo! and Gandalf! <hyperventilates>
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Yes, I was a bit terrified of Mirkwood until they explained the color issues. I'm still a bit terrified of Mirkwood - PJ likes his creepy and his monsters and I'm afraid it'll be Dagobah with giant spiders. The problem I have with that is, well, I've been to Mirkwood. Camp Mirkwood, to be more precise. I think the official name is something else, but the climbers call it Mirkwood because that's what it is. Tall evergreens festooned with lichen, logs covered in moss, silent and maybe oh-so-slightly menacing in the way unfamiliar forests can be, it even has black squirrels lurking about. It's on the western side of Mt. Baker. No giant spiders to be seen, but it is a stone's throw from a glacier and you gotta be careful with those things. Swallow you whole, a glacier will.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Psychadelia aside, it certainly seems claustrophobic enough from the brief shots we saw of the party moving through it... Image

BTW, if the sword buffs are interested, we've finally got a good glimpse of Orcrist - it looks gorgeous!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

It was all very cool, just not thrilled with the 3D. :/ I've not liked any film I've seen in 3D and always preferred the normal version. So I'm hoping the normal version will be available in theatres as well.
Lhaewin

Post by Lhaewin »

Erunáme wrote:It was all very cool, just not thrilled with the 3D. :/ I've not liked any film I've seen in 3D and always preferred the normal version. So I'm hoping the normal version will be available in theatres as well.
So it's not only me. I've avoided 3D versions whenever I could.
How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it.
Voronwë the Faithful

There are plenty of people that can't deal with 3D. I was afraid that I would be one of them, but I dealt with Avatar okay. With this film, I'm going to definitely try to watch it in 3D the first time. I think it is going to look awesome.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lhaewin

Post by Lhaewin »

Avatar was fine - as good as it can get for me. I don't think I'll have a real choice anyway. There is probably only one cinema when I want to see the original version (not dubbed) and they might or might not show it in 3D.
How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I loved the use of 3D in CORALINE. It was beautiful and artistic (3D water drop rolling down a windowpane!) -- most of the other 3D films I've seen have not impressed me so very much.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Even without the 3D, but especially with it, I'm pretty sure the picture quality in The Hobbit is going to be like nothing we've seen before.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I may see it in 3D, but I think I will see it in 2D first to minimize the distractions.

The thing that bothers me with 3D movies like Avatar, apart from the effects for the sake of effects, isn't the in your face moments. More often it is the little nuances, like the little floating woodsprites in that Avatar scene.

Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I may see it in 3D, but I think I will see it in 2D first to minimize the distractions.

The thing that bothers me with 3D movies like Avatar, apart from the effects for the sake of effects, isn't the in your face moments. More often it is the little nuances, like the little floating woodsprites in that Avatar scene.

I find that that sort of effect is distracting.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I found it really cool. :D But then, the whole movie is a distraction. An entertaining one, I found it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

Yeah, I liked those little touches. It added to the feeling of being immersed in the world. It is the in your face moments (which thankfully were fairly few in Avatar, and hopefully will be in The Hobbit), that I mind distracting. I don't mind a few well chosen ones, if they serve the story rather than distract from it. I'm pretty sure we will get at least a couple of Leggy moments -- IN 3D! -- that I will hate. But that in and of itself won't ruin the films for me (any more than the ones in LOTR ruined those films for me.

Man, I would love to see the Nazgûl over Osgiliath in 3D. I think that would be awesome.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

The mere mention of Nazgûl in Osgilliath....well.... :x

but I digress. Or osgilliate, as it were.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Holbytla wrote:More often it is the little nuances, like the little floating woodsprites in that Avatar scene.
That's odd, why did that bother you?

I definitely like the effect of depth that 3D can give. That depth can add a lot to a scene, if used correctly, IMO. The effect of coming out of the screen is usually annoying and I'm hoping good directors realize the difference between the two effects and use it to artistic advantages.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That was a strength of how Avatar used it. Much more for the sense of depth (and height, yikes) than to smash things in people's faces. I think this could be effective in enhancing some of the things PJ already does well. Helicopter shots over mountain ranges, for example. Or imagine Moria, Lôrien, Rivendell, with a real sense of height and distance. It could be breathtaking in a good way, with no fancy camera moves at all.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

:shock: ...............ok.........now we have to go back and reshoot LOTR in 3D just for Moria..... (and Lothlórien and isengard and Helm's Deep and the Ents and Pelennor and........ :D )

I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

yovargas wrote:
Holbytla wrote:More often it is the little nuances, like the little floating woodsprites in that Avatar scene.
That's odd, why did that bother you?

I definitely like the effect of depth that 3D can give. That depth can add a lot to a scene, if used correctly, IMO. The effect of coming out of the screen is usually annoying and I'm hoping good directors realize the difference between the two effects and use it to artistic advantages.
I don't particularly care for most aspects of 3D, but the "in your face moments" last a short time (even though they are usually gratuitous) and are the focus. Little odd bits of 3D happening in the "background" or off to the side tend to distract me from what should be the main focus.

If there is a closeup of someone's reaction to an event, then the extraneous take away from that and distract me.