List of Books By and About Tolkien

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Tar-Palantir

Question of Pengolod

Post by Tar-Palantir »

I am not an expert on Tolkien fanfiction, but I must mention The Question of Pengolod, by Tyellas.

http://www.ansereg.com/mpqp_series.htm

I have read this novel - set in Númenor - three times; slowly, and with enormous pleasure. I believe it is _really_ good - both in its own right, and as an erudite extrapolation of the Legendarium.

There is in particular an account of the annual ceremony on the mountain Meneltarma which I find exquisitely beautiful and profound.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

[wrong topic]
Last edited by kzer_za on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

I wonder if this is the thread for this info?

Announced on Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobbit-Facsimil ... 007440839/

"The Hobbit Facsimile First Edition: Boxed Set"
"Publisher: HarperCollins; 75th Anniversary edition edition (13 Sep 2012)"

It looks interesting, and since it seems I'm not going to be buying an actual 1st Edition Hobbit any time soon, this will be the way to go. I have "The History Of The Hobbit", so I have read the original "Riddles In The Dark", but I would like to see, in context, what other changes were made between the 1st and 2nd editions.

And they say there are "previously unreleased archive recordings featuring J.R.R. Tolkien reading from his book". That would be kind of exciting too, since I've only heard the ones on the LP/Tape/CD - new and different readings would be very good to hear.

Plus, it just looks neat.

Presumably it will be available in the US, but if not, I'm not above buying from Amazon UK and pay the extra (very much extra) price to ship to the US.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm sure it will be available in the U.S., and I'm definitely getting it!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

For those who don't have this beautiful little book already, Amazon have just publicised the re-issue of Pauline Bayne's illustrated "Bilbo's Last Song"

Although the Amazon UK page does not have a release date, the email I received said October 25th, 2012.

While Bilbo Baggins embarks on his last journey to the West, his mind is cast back to his first big adventure--The Hobbit. J.R.R Tolkien's beautiful poem is bought to life through Pauline Baynes' stunning illustrations, fully restored in this fantastic new edition.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

CosmicBob wrote:I wonder if this is the thread for this info?
I have The History Of The Hobbit, so I have read the original "Riddles In The Dark", but I would like to see, in context, what other changes were made between the 1st and 2nd editions.
FYI, Doug Anderson's Annotated Hobbit does actually list all changes between editions. But this does sound most intriguing.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

New book on Aragorn, "Hobbit to Hero" being reported by TORN

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/08 ... -new-book/

http://www.adcbooks.co.uk/
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Distinguished scholar of medieval language and literature, Mark Atherton's book "There and Back Again: JRR Tolkien and the Origins of The Hobbit" was published last September. There is an in-depth interview with the author available on the Tolkien Library website

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I am reviewing Atherton's book for Mythprint.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I am reviewing Atherton's book for Mythprint.
Oh, cool! I look forward to that. :)
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Just to warn you, it won't be the most positive review I have ever written.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

At least I'll know not to buy it, then!

That could also explain why there are no customer reviews on Amazon so far... ;)
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, there certainly are some positive things about the book. I would recommend it above Corey Olsen"s ("The Tolkien Professor") Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" by a landslide.

But that is damning with faint praise.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

"The Fall of Arthur" by J.R.R.Tolkien, ed. Christopher Tolkien. Harper Collins, 2013.

(review moved to dedicated thread oops)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

No one seems to have mentioned this book yet, so here it is!

Middle-earth Envisioned

New book reveals previously unprinted artwork and documents the portrayal of Middle-earth across the decades...

Over the decades, lots and lots of people have tried their hand at envisioning Middle-earth — in artwork, stage plays, musicals, television adaptations, comics, games, fan-art and, of course, animated and live action film.

Middle-earth Envisioned is a new, illustrated book From New York Times bestselling author Brian J. Robb and Paul Simpson, TV guide writer/reporter and the former editor of the Star Trek magazine, that comprehensively documents these portrayals of Middle-earth.
There is also an online excerpt viewable on the TORN page linked above.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Obviously not a book, but this lengthy documentary on JRRT is available on Youtube, for those who haven't seen it before.

JRR TOLKIEN '1892-1973' - A Study Of The Maker Of Middle-earth

Narrated by Judi Dench, it heavily features CT talking and reading at length from his father's letters, and also Tom Shippey
~Diana Cortes
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

The Tolkien Society recently released a comprehensive, richly detailed Tolkien Timeline which might be of interest to some folk here.

J.R.R. Tolkien Timeline
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

For anyone in the UK, The Fall of Arthur is half price for the next week with free shipping in the UK.
Take advantage of this exclusive promotion and get 50% off The Fall of Arthur by J.R.R Tolkien.

This incredible works tells of Arthur's expedition overseas into distant heathen lands, Guinevere's flight from Camelot and the great sea-battle on Arthur's return to Britain.

The Fall of Arthur, the only venture by J.R.R Tolkien into the legends of Arthur - King of Britain, is regarded as his finest and most skilful achievement in the use of Old English alliterative metre.

Enter code FOATOLKIEN50 at checkout and take advantage of this exclusive promotion.
*Purchase it today for £7.49, instead of the usual £14.99. The promotion lasts from 20th April to 27th April 2014.
Unfortunately the option does not appear to be available in Ireland. :(
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

"Diamond Anniversary" boxed set of LotR available on Amazon UK...

Release date 19th June 2014
Since it was first published in 1954, The Lord of the Rings has been a book people have treasured. Steeped in unrivalled magic and otherworldliness, its sweeping fantasy has touched the hearts of young and old alike, with one hundred and fifty million copies of its many editions sold around the world. In 2005 Tolkien’s text was fully restored – with the full co-operation of Christopher Tolkien – with almost 400 corrections, the original red and black maps as fold-out sheets, a fully revised and enlarged index, and for the first time a special plate section containing the pages from the Book of Mazarbul, making this set as close as possible to the version that J.R.R. Tolkien intended.

This Diamond Anniversary reissue of the prized boxed set marks 60 years since the first publication of The Fellowship of the Ring. These hardback editions feature Tolkien’s original unused dust-jacket designs from the 1950s, reworked for this edition, and some additional text corrections. The four-volume boxed set includes The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, a unique annotated guide to the text, fully updated since its first publication in 2005, and is a book which will enhance the reader's enjoyment and understanding of one of the most influential books of the 20th century.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Re: List of Books By and About Tolkien

Post by Elentári »

There’s a new revised and expanded edition of The Adventures of Tom Bombadil out, illustrated by Pauline Baynes. This new edition comes with earlier versions of some of the Professor’s poems, part of a prose story with Bombadil, and notes by Tolkien scholars Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond...

http://middleearthnews.com/2014/10/22/n ... -bombadil/

~Diana Cortes