Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Post by Padme »

I hope this doesn't upset the PTB, but I saw this today and thought it needed to be shared. Actually I thought of Estel first because of her love of classical music.

http://www.sonnyradio.com/swanlake_0001.swf
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Wow. Just wow.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Thats fantastic! I keep looking to make sure there's no wires...
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I did too. I kept thinking there had to be wires, but they are not there. :shock:
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Post by ArathornJax »

Tremendous. The shape the performers are in is amazing and the music is wonderful.
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I agree AJ. Swan Lake is one of my favorite pieces of music. :love: I was able to see the Mariinsky Ballet do this a while back.

BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

My sister had sent me this a while back, and I had posted a similar link to it at B77, though I believe your link is a higher quality link. It is amazing.

BrianIs :) AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yk6aXgHME4

Rachael Yamagata :love: I heard her sing this song on Acoustic Cafe last night. I also like her Elephants, but it's so sad that I try not listen to it much.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:rofl: The White Wedding one is good, too. What a funny concept.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Why would you apologise? Freddie would have loved that! Its Awesome.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I agree with Kermit. :D
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm glad you liked it, Al!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh, I haven't spammed this board yet? So here goes. =:)

I found the full With Fire and Sword on YouTube, with English subtitles. It's an epic based on the classic Polish novel, a romance set on the background of a war that Ukrainian Cossacks (not theseCossacks, these Cossacks) waged against Poland, for independence of sorts.

I highly recommend this movie. I feel certain that PJ took lessons from it, but unfortunately not enough (Tartars peering over a log while two good guys are hiding underneath! Huge wartowers aflame! A fat hero who cares most for food, drink and merriment, but is fierce as a dragon in a pinch!). I defy anyone not to root for the "bad" guy. ;) My only complaint is, the female lead is very pretty, but otherwise just a prop. But very pretty.

A warning for realistic, violent battles.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

Frelga wrote:Oh, I haven't spammed this board yet? So here goes. =:)

I found the full With Fire and Sword on YouTube, with English subtitles. It's an epic based on the classic Polish novel, a romance set on the background of a war that Ukrainian Cossacks (not theseCossacks, these Cossacks) waged against Poland, for independence of sorts.

I highly recommend this movie. I feel certain that PJ took lessons from it, but unfortunately not enough (Tartars peering over a log while two good guys are hiding underneath! Huge wartowers aflame! A fat hero who cares most for food, drink and merriment, but is fierce as a dragon in a pinch!). I defy anyone not to root for the "bad" guy. ;) My only complaint is, the female lead is very pretty, but otherwise just a prop. But very pretty.

A warning for realistic, violent battles.
I may have to check that out. I've seen some Polish cinema, mostly Kieslowski, and I did see a few names on the actor list, like Zbigniew Zamachowski, whom I loved in "Trzy kolory: Bialy" and "Dekalog, dziesiec" (and Jerzy Stuhr was a great counterpoint to him in both films--it would have been nice to see his name in this as well). Other familiar names include Daniel Olbrychski, Zbigniew Zapasiewicz

Speaking of Kieslowski, here is one of his student films with a dubbed Polish jazz score by Skalpel; the visuals and music together are a real treat. It is a silent film, but the pictures tell the story, and the music keeps it hopping.

Krzysztof Kieslowski vs. Skalpel - Tramwaj So Far

Unbelievably hot.

BrianIs :) AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Great stuff, Alatar! Your next role, perhaps? :D

I haven't seen that movie since it was first in theaters. The group I was with walked out singing the score:

YYYYAAWWWWWWWp/ Bumb/ Bump
YYYYAAWWWWWWWp/ Bumb/ Bump
Bababump
YYYYAAWWWWWWWp
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

And the lameentation of the vimen.