Prayer Thread

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

aww, Prim... :hug:
Texas, Land of the Free, Home of the Tumbleweeds....:tumbleweed:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Trazzie! I was thinking of you not an hour ago, wondering how and where you've been. And here you are your own self! So glad to see you.

hal, sounds like you have a lot to deal with! Hope things get better for you and yours.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

I'm glad to see you too, Frelga! :)
Texas, Land of the Free, Home of the Tumbleweeds....:tumbleweed:
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Prayers, please, for my daughter Hannah, who is having a terrible year, health-wise.

You may remember that she broke her hip before Christmas, needing surgery with pins inserted and that recovery is still going on. She had to postpone her trip to see me in London because of the injury and we rescheduled it for this coming week.

She now has developed a Bartholin's cyst which is a painful infection of a certain gland in the vagina. It became infected and so she had to have it drained and a drainage catheter inserted to ensure that the entire abscess drains and heals. So she'll be flying over here with a stupid catheter in a pretty inconvenient place. And the procedure hurt like hell.

She called me yesterday in tears and she doesn't cry much. I expect the thing will heal and it isn't life-threatening but what a thing for a 21-year-old girl to be tolerating.

Please pray for healing for her - body and soul! My poor baby girl!

:( :( :(
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Oh, dear! What a lot to contend with for such a young woman!

Absolutely I'll pray for your baby girl.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Oh Jewel, my heart aches for your daughter. What a lot to go through.

I hope she'll be able to relax once she gets there. Just being with Mom makes lots of things better. :)
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Jewel, how awful for you and your poor daughter! She has my thoughts and prayers, for sure.

The plane ride won't be any fun, but then she'll be with her Mom! :)

Wishing you both a happy and healing visit. :hug:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Jewel, that's horrible. More prayers and best wishes. :hug:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Yikes! Never heard of that particular ailment before (and having googled it now, hope that's the last I've heard of it). I hope that having her mother's hugs and care will ease the pain and inconvenience. She's in my prayers.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Prayers please...

I came back to work to the news that one of our most engaging, popular and talented students has been diagnosed with leukaemia, a form called myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS.)

His name is Stephen - he was last year's 8th grade class president and is the kind of kid that everyone liked and respected. Not a goody-two-shoes, but not a cut-up either. He played sports and was also in orchestra and jazz band. Highly intelligent, a real thinker but also a doer...just an all-around GREAT kid.

This is just devastating news and the family is now trying to work out his treatment and their travel plans. Looks like Mom will stay in the states with Stephen, his older brother will come back here for his Junior year while Dad travels on to Moscow, where his job is taking him. If the brother is a match for a bone marrow transplant, he will return to the states.

It's just a terrible thing and everyone's prayers are welcome and needed.

:(
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I am praying for Stephen and his family. Dealing with cancer is difficult enough without having the family scattered across the world. You feel scared and alone even if everyone's around you. :( I pray they will all find healing, strength and the peace that passes understanding.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I'll be praying for Stephen and his family. My heart goes out to all of them!

:hug:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Jewell, how sad. :( I too will offer my prayers for Stephen and his family.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I will also pray.

:(

Lali
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

And yet another prayer request...

The mother of a very dear friend of mine has been diagnosed with "acute renal failure." She is relatively young and they don't know what is causing it or quite how to proceed. She is being treated with a number of different drugs while they attempt to find out the underlying cause.

To make things even more difficult, my friend lives half a world away from his Mom and now is trying to decide about when and if he should return home and trying to communicate with her and his Dad via telephone and email.

He is a fairly private person, so I don't want to give names, but I'm sure God will know who you're talking about if you hold my friend and his Mom in prayer.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I will, Jewel, and also your young friend Stephen and his family.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I will pray.

Lali
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

As will I.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I would like to ask for prayers for our dear friend Whistler, whose house is in the probable path of Hurricane Gustav and who has elderly family members depending on him and Mrs. Whistler.

He will probably abuse me severely for my presumption, but I am seriously worried.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I share your concern. The Whistlers will definitely be in my prayers.

I also ask your prayers for a friend of mine who is deeply depressed, in bad financial straits and trying to pull his life together.