Architectural Photographs

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

England and indeed Europe in general looks pretty tame to this American Westerner. Beautiful, but tame.

I love the empty spaces we still have out here, even though it's not quite the romantic untrammeled freedom it once was. There is a lot of wilderness, but one must sign up to hike into it, and follow all regulations as to how many people can be in one hiking party, how far from open water you must pitch your tent, and what you must pack back out again with you when you leave (everything, and I do mean everything, except for what bears leave in the woods).

But it will still be wilderness in a hundred years (if climate change hasn't killed the trees, I guess).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

truehobbit wrote: How old are the mounds, Lali? Are they burial places?
Many of them are; some were probably ceremonial in nature, with astronomical applications. The one in Miamisburg was a burial mound from the Adena people, I believe. I think that puts it around 2000 years old, but I can't find an exact date for sure.

Lali
eborr

Post by eborr »

Couple of interesting points from Prim, Europe, and especially countries like England, Holland and Belgium is very cramped and overfull of people, and I can well understand folks who come from places with a lot of space saying there is little true wilderness, and that may well be the case.

It's also aposite the mention of climate change effecting the enviroment.

One of the main theories behind the effective abandonement of Stonehenge and the other henge monuments at the end of the Early Bronze age has been attributed to climate change. The floral evidence from the Late Neolithic and Earl Bronze age suggests that the UK had a Mediterranean climate, which changed to become one which was wetter and cooler. The thoery goes on to say that this led the people to adandon the "Sun" temples and to adopt different religous practices including the dumping of valuable stuff in rivers
eborr

Post by eborr »

i know you have seen this before but earlier tonight I got this

I was a couple of seconds late the sunlight is kissing the top of Constantines arch - promise you the real sight was magical

taken from the Domus - Nutty neros attempt at rebuilding Rome post fiddling
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Neat! :)

Lali
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I was in Rome . . . in 1969. :bawling: I wanna go back! Because I have seen this.

But I was TEN YEARS OLD—did I appreciate it? Hah! I wanted to know where my next ice cream sandwich was coming from.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

Oh that is gorgeous, eborr!
Texas, Land of the Free, Home of the Tumbleweeds....:tumbleweed:
eborr

Post by eborr »

pure hapenstanse Traz, as I inimated earlier if I had been a little quicker, I really would have got the money shot, you could see just a tiny gap between the falling sun and Constatines arch - and that was really a magical vision. Rome is September is lovely - warm in the daytime and cooling at night.

Am staying in a different hotel in a former monestry at 5.00 pm the church wakes up the bells and the organ are magical, I can almost forgive the Popes the sacrilgous damage they did to the city of Augustus, of Hadrian, Trajan, Diocletian and Constatine

I want to live here
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

See the full set of my Louisiana pictures here (they'll look better/sharper on flickr as I used photobucket to resize them): http://www.flickr.com/photos/12514987@N ... 868244806/

Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

I enjoyed going through all your pics...some really beautiful shots you got there! I love the live oaks, and the clouds were stunning! Chantry's shots were beautiful as well, and he wrote some interesting stuff about the buildings and the cotton presses.

...and I really love that front porch...:love:
eborr

Post by eborr »

A Cotswold Church - thing I like about this pic is that the tower in the background is not part of the Church, it belongs to the Priory which is 30 m away.

Shot with a camera phone so quality is not that great but done at 5.00 pm ish.

Church is St Marys at Cogges approx 9 miles due west of Oxford
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Beautiful, eborr!
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

Yes, very beautiful!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

lovely!! :)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Nothing as artistic as what's been posted here, but my photos from Bath are below

Bath Trip
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

Hiya Frelga! I just now took a peek at your pics and they are lovely!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Hey Trazzie! Long time no see! I've missed you. :hug:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

:) :hug: I've missed you too!
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Those are great pics, Frelga. I'm partial to ruins (being one myself).

When did you visit Bath?
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
eborr

Post by eborr »

Bath is a special place for me -this is my favourite Bath photo - sorry v cheesy and some of you have seen it before.

from my honeymoon - sorry bit short on the architecture