TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Heh, oh no, merrybesq, there wouldn't be anyone around here who could say the same. :whistle:

Or not more than a couple of dozen, anyway.

I'm rewatching Firefly at a slow pace. This must be the third or fourth time not counting the original broadcast (which I don't, because they showed them in the wrong order). So wonderfully written and acted.

I would love to rewatch BSG Season 3; I have the DVD and all; but alas, no time. I'll be there tomorrow night, of course! I did find time to watch the half-hour catchup show Sci-Fi put on last week (and which, if they're smart, they've got streaming on their website), and that will help.

I've missed this show.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
merrybesq

Post by merrybesq »

I think "Firefly" is one of the best shows ever made, I truly do.

As for Battlestar Galactica, I came to it late and have never even seen it on "regular TV." Once in a while they come up with an episode that's a bit off, but most of the time, it's incredible. Refering back to the "John Adams" discussion -- this is another example of people being people and nearly destroying the human race doing it. Oy. FASCINATING exploration of human strength and frailty.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I absolutely agree. It's almost too bad it's called what it's called; there are people who'd appreciate the quality of this show who will never, never, ever watch it, no matter how many Peabodies it wins—because it has the same name as a bad show from the 1980s, or even just because it's science fiction.

I won't poor-mouth science fiction, so I won't claim BSG is not SF. It is, absolutely, in the classic sense—SF in terms of applying a huge change to humanity and writing about what happens.

But the fact that the huge change is about a robot invasion and ensuing space war is almost irrelevant. BSG is about politics, and family, and human frailty. It's about when we can and cannot afford mercy, and what it does to us when we decide we can't.

I'd say the same for Firefly, though that is SF about trust and betrayal, love and faith.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Ah yes. The early "Battlestar Galactica" ... 1978, I recall.

The best thing to come from that show (until the new one, that is) was a New Yorker cartoon that was so silly I've never forgotten it. So I just now googled it, and -- praise the Internet -- here it is.

:D
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Primula Baggins wrote:BSG is about politics, and family, and human frailty.
Thank you! This is what I have been trying to convey to people who are not fans and who immediately react with "That show is nerdy" when they hear the name. I'm trying to convince them that it is not. But these are somewhat shallow people who don't watch a lot of programs with substance in general, who don't like to read, and don't really follow the news or politics. It sucks that the only people I can talk to BSG about are online. Though why the frak do we not have a BSG thread?!? Really I have only one place to discuss it which is at a girl's LJ, but it's an incredibly busy LJ which means she can't respond to everyone all of the time. Plus LJ isn't conducive to many people discussing together like a message board is.

I'm also hooked on the music right now. I can't get the Passacaglia from S1 out of my head.

I just did my S3 marathon and here were some thoughts I posted at that LJ:

SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN S3! You've been warned:

I thought I had been spoiled for the Chief and Colonel Tigh being cylons from some icons I'd accidentally seen. I don't really see how Tigh being a cylon is going to work, but supposedly the main writer says it really does. I way way surprised by Anders being one.

I don't like the way they revealed these four. Once you see that they were all hearing the same music you were just waiting for the official confirmation. I would have liked it much better if it was a sudden realization like with most of the others. Also I wish they would have spaced these four out through the season. I knew all but the last Cylon had been revealed this season and kept wondering when one was going to be revealed.

All in all, I don't like this season as much as the others. There was more filler and the Kara/Lee stuff was absolutely infuriating a lot. I'd like them to be together but this constant on/off, drawing-it-out-stuff was getting old. I like Starbuck a lot but after this season my like of her has diminished.

There were some really good moments during S3. Tigh killing Ellen totally slayed me. Wow. And the Adama manouvre! Damn!11 And many more.

I just watched the original Unfinished Business episode last night. When doing my S3 marathon, I watched the extended version because I knew it would have more story. Surprisingly I think I might like the original episode better and I think it's my favorite episode. It just makes my heart break! The flashbacks during the boxing match are so awesomely done and the music accompanying it is to die for. I love how the boxers will be circling each other and they'll cut to Kara dancing in a circle....little stuff that. When Lee moves in to kiss Kara...guh!!!!! Totally makes me swoon. That love scene is awesome. The connection between them seems so pure and genuine at that time. I also think Bamber did a great acting job in that episode. The emotions you see his face go through when he hears Kara has married is incredible.

I really can't figure out why the hell Kara would go and marry Anders after that night with Lee. Was she afraid? If so, how does marrying someone else make things any better? But later on, she wants to do things with Lee but doesn't want to leave Anders? How is continually stringing along Anders and practically openly cheating on him better than divorcing him? Kara certainly has frustrated me greatly in this season.

I think I might go back and rewatch Exodus 2 as you all keep going on about it. I remember liking the episode but it not being a standout for me except for the Tigh part. Maybe I can go back and absorb it more completely.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Eru, you're welcome to start a BSG thread, or I will tomorrow (that being the season premiere date). I agree that it's worth discussing and I would also be pleased if someone who'd passed on it gave it a try as a result.

Spoilers . . . hmmmm, maybe the new thread could be spoiler discussion and nonspoiler could stay here?

I wish I had time to stay and talk more right now, but I have half a chapter to go on the editing job from Purgatory, which I have to get out the door so I can finish the one from Hell this weekend, and return to the land of the living.
merrybesq

Post by merrybesq »

Wow, I just saw the conclusion of Battlestar Season 3 myself -- ee gods.

Trust, betrayal, love, and faith... yes, Primula! And justice.

I'm kind of glad I only have to wait one night to see some more. :)
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Primula Baggins wrote:Eru, you're welcome to start a BSG thread, or I will tomorrow (that being the season premiere date).
I'm pretty crap at starting threads so hopefully you won't mind too much if I pass the buck to you. :P
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

No problem, Eru. Just so you post in it!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

merrybesq wrote:Wow, I just saw the conclusion of Battlestar Season 3 myself -- ee gods.

Trust, betrayal, love, and faith... yes, Primula! And justice.

I'm kind of glad I only have to wait one night to see some more. :)
Not to mention Bear McCreary's awesome version of "All along the Watchtower".

Here's a version with no distracting dialogue or show footage. Just the basic track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka_sHy9cVH0
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
merrybesq

Post by merrybesq »

Thank you for the uncluttered version of the song, Alatar. :) I thought I was going Cylon-nuts when I couldn't HEAR enough to GET it all last night during that last episode.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Breogán

Post by Breogán »

Glad to see I'm not the only one addicted to BSG. Can't wait for saturday night to watch the new episodes of the fourth and final season :D
Am min idhrinn, min arad en-Naur, bain onen aen: noss, nîth ah estel: adaneth im.
"For one year, one day, of the Flame I would have given all: kin, youth, and hope itself: adaneth I am."
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

I wish the UK wasn't behind the US as by the time you start watching it, we'll be through 4 episodes.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I have to say that so far (no spoilers) it's blowing me away. :shock:
merrybesq

Post by merrybesq »

Me, too! No spoilers, but that last episode, the end? I was just sitting there in open mouthed horror. *gnaws fist* Eeeeeeek!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

"They will not go there," I said to myself, I said. And. . . .

Link to spoiler discussion
Breogán

Post by Breogán »

The ending of The Ties that Bind was so shocking... :shock:
I have loved BSG since episode 1, but now... I guess I will have to look for a new term to describe this ;)

Eru, I don't live in the UK ;) I am watching the new episodes only one day after they premiere in the US :D
Am min idhrinn, min arad en-Naur, bain onen aen: noss, nîth ah estel: adaneth im.
"For one year, one day, of the Flame I would have given all: kin, youth, and hope itself: adaneth I am."
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Obsession?

Anyone who takes a look at my LiveJournal and corresponding icons will see I'm fairly into it. :P

Ah, didn't know you didn't live there anymore. When and where did you move, if you don't mind my intrusiveness?
Breogán

Post by Breogán »

LOL!!! Yep, obsession it's the right word :rofl:
Nice banner with Kara and Anders :love: (well, and Kara and Lee :P)

I never lived in the UK to start with, I lived in Ireland, although I attended some moots in the UK :) And two yers ago I moved to the Canary Islands (Spain)