TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:woohoo: I'll be there!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Northerner

Post by Northerner »

I have to say that, as thrilled as I was seeing those opening credits, I was underwhelmed by the movie. So much of it was a reenactment of things we already knew about (and which played out better in my head).

The bit about Kara was interesting, though....
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

And the bit about Cane and Gina.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I liked that bit. It really adds dimension to the revulsion we saw Cain show the imprisoned Gina in the series. Gina had betrayed Cain personally, not just the ship.

It wasn't the ultimate BSG experience, but it was just good to be back for a couple of hours. And I was afraid the movie would "humanize" Cain and make us see that "she really couldn't help it," whereas we just saw that she was every bit as badass as we thought. Maybe more trapped than we thought, but as guilty of rage and vengefulness to the detriment of everyone else's welfare.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

It made me dislike her even more. Yes, fighting the war is a priority but when your entire species has been almost wiped out, you don't go killing civilians or your crew like that.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

No, of course you don't—all human life is precious, certainly more precious than revenge.

Although Adama, too, has had to make hard choices and sometimes has made the wrong ones. It's one of the things I love about this show. No plaster heroes, just people trying, or not trying, to do the right thing, where the right thing may be different for two different people, and in circumstances where every possible choice may harm someone.
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

I really enjoyed Razor. Boy I miss this show!
The character of Kendra was really well played by the actress.

I have to say though, I sure wish I could figure out what was going on with the new cylons, the old cylons, the hybrids, the old hybrid, the Seven, the Five, and Starbuck. :scratch: I'm usually decent at guessing this stuff but they have me pretty stumped.

I'm pretty sure the Five are good, the guardians for humanity, in opposition to the Seven. The Seven want to integrate with the humans and disappear by creating human/cylon children who become human eventually. The "old" hybrid, and the basestar hybrids, are "evolutionary dead ends". What do the Five want? Survival of pure humans? Aaaack!!!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Me, I'm just along for the ride at this point. Though I wouldn't object to a little clarification before the end.

They're still doing better than the X-Files did in its last seasons. The what who huh?
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

Well, it's going to be a long sloooow ride. March 08 with 10 eps? Then wait until 2009. :x

It's pretty painful. I mean, with LOTR, there was an excuse (I mean, one can only film and edit so fast). This just feels cruel.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

They will probably be forced into a delay until 2009 anyway because of the writers' strike. But they were planning on it before, which befuddles me completely. People will wander away and forget about this superb show, and the network will wonder why only you and I tune in for the conclusion. :|

So stupid, when people are discovering all kinds of other ways to entertain themselves.
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

C'mon Prim, you must have a speculation as to who is the unrevealed cylon.

My opinion changes all the time, but currently I think it's Dualla.

On another note, are you intrigued by Tin Man at all? I happen to really like Zooey Deschanel so I've programmed my TiVo to pick it up. Guess those promos really do work. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

You know, I'm so busy and distracted at the moment that I can't make my mind sit still and try to work it out; plus the last season seems so long ago now, and the DVDs won't be out until spring, so I can't refresh my memory. :P

Dualla? Maybe—either that or she's going to die. She just doesn't seem a central enough character, although of course that could be part of the trick.

It won't be Kara. Way too obvious.
Northerner

Post by Northerner »

My theory has always been that they're all Cylons, except for the Final Five, who are humans. My money's on Adama for the last one. I think Kara's too obvious, too, but there's something funny there-maybe something we haven't yet learned.

The bit about the hybrid was strange, too. Athena seemed almost contempuous.
themary
Prettiest City I know!

Post by themary »

I have a problem with TV.

My obsessions are as follows:

Dancing with the Stars
Chuck
Journeyman
Reaper
Dirty Sexy Money
Hell's Kitchen
Kitchen Nightmares
Pushing Daisies
Moonlight
Heroes
Lost

I know there are more but I can't think of them :D No, Battlestar Galactica isn't one of them. I watched the two-hour intro thing and almost fell asleep :ysleepy:
...the embers never fade in your city by the lake

The place where you were born
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Your loss, toots. :D It got brilliant shortly after that and has been mostly brilliant ever since.

And you should check out the British Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, if you get BBC America. Much more interesting than the Americanized version, and definitely an obsession of mine.
Northerner

Post by Northerner »

I'll watch anything Gordon Ramsay removes his shirt in, but I agree that the Brit version of Nightmares is a totally different creature from the formulaic Fox version.

Yay! Another Journeyman watcher. Tell your friends, we're trying to keep this one from cancellation-so good!

I was a latecomer to the Battlestar table, and that wouldn't have happened if I had missed the mini and started with 33, episode 1, which was one of the best hours of tv I've ever seen.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I'm still watching Pushing Daisies.

"Don't say that word like everyone knows what it means."
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I absolutely love Pushing Daisies. :love: And Journeyman. :love: And my old favorites, Heroes and Lost and Doctor Who. :love: :love: :love: Never miss any of those.

The only other shows I watch somewhat regularly are The Office, My Name is Earl and Jeopardy.

Oh, and there's my new mindless fun: Ninja Warrior. :oops:
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Northerner, "33" was what got me. I missed the miniseries completely because, well, "Battlestar Galactica"—how good could it be? And a gorgeous supermodel playing a Cylon? :roll:

Then I caught "33" in reruns and never missed it again. (One shock for me was the fact that the truly gorgeous supermodel proved to be a brilliant actor in what turned out to be a range of different roles, some of them harrowing.)

And, yes, Gordon Ramsey is much easier to look at without a shirt than most chef/owners of three-Michelin-star restaurants. :P
merrybesq

Post by merrybesq »

OK, I admit to an absolute LOVE for "Firefly", a growing enjoyment of "Angel"...and a recent addiction to "Battlestar Galactica." In fact, with regard to the latter, I've been gobbling down the 3rd season as fast as I can on DVD because the fourth season premieres...TOMORROW!

2 episodes of Season 3 to go... :)

(I daresay the fact that one might know just about every episode of Classic Trek by name need be mentioned. Or ST:TNG, or any of the others. Heh.)