Middle-earth [formerly LotR] in New Media

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Crucifer, you old grump.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Crucifer wrote:Waste of good sweets if you ask me...
Last year, they let a bunch of kids eat Helm's Deep. So, I don't think you can be sure they're letting them go to waste...after all, they're using icing as glue, so it's all edible! :D
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Awesome!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
kams

Post by kams »

[Crucifer plans on making his own version with lemons, cups of battery acid, limas beans and used cotton balls.] =:)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

The coolest socks ever:

Front

Side
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Tolkien is rolling in his grave right about now. :P
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Ahh, don't be so uptight, Holby! :P

You know you want 'em.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I didn't say I was rolling. I said Tolkien was.
Besides they are girlie all over. :P
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Actually, I think Tolkien would have thought those were cool (although of course he wouldn't use that word). He loved bright colors on clothes (like the hobbit he was), and those are actually quite tasteful. I think he would have liked them.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

He would have hated the whole marketing/memorabilia thing imo.
He may have personally liked the socks, but I doubt he would be in favor of all the post movie "stuff" that is everywhere.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Quite true. Although he would not have minded the money coming in. "Cash or kudos" as he put it regarding an potential film adaptation.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

No he did after all sell the movie rights for some money.
He spent most of his life in need of better finances. It is too bad he never had the chance to reap the benefits. Although Christopher did quite well.
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

I'd wear 'em. 8)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

The socks were actually made as a one-off by a hobbyist knitter—they're not a commercial product, just a labor of love.

I think Tolkien would have been amused and probably pleased. If hobbits did wear socks, they'd probably be bright and folky like these.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

I WANT A PAIR.

I lust for them in my heart.

Maybe I can get my daughter to knit me a pair while she's studying for her bar exams. :P
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

So, is this person willing to part with the pattern? :whistle:
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Those are cute, Eru, but they have not the practical appeal of a sturdy pair of socks. :D

(I am mostly attracted to things that can be worn or eaten ... or both.)

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

This can't be worn OR eaten (sorry, Jn) but it is still incredibly awesome. In it's second year of construction, and still a year away from completion is Matchstick Minas Tirith.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

COOL! I wish they were some more zoomed-in, higher resolution images. Parts of it look so smooth, am curious about the matchstick aspect of it.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude