Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Northerner

Post by Northerner »

Prim- I like your snow better than my snow. Gorgeous pic!

I once grew mustard, and actually harvested the seed and made mustard. That was back in my Mother Earth days. :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Prim, that is an astoundingly beautiful picture. :love:
I'm so grateful for our 50-year-old garden. Some bits are overgrown, but some, like this view, I think are perfect. :love: That oak tree in back is more than three feet through the trunk—a very Tolkien tree, straight and comely.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Primula Baggins wrote:Well, we woke up this morning to a surprise: a rare snowfall, and it is still coming down. My kids' play matinee was cancelled and they have unexpected free time...
That is a very pretty picture, Prim. But I am so tired that I read the above as saying:

My kids' play manatee was cancelled....

:rofl:

Lali
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Oh, good heavens, Lali, our manatee hasn't missed a play date since 1991.

Best you get some rest! :hug:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:rofl: :rofl: Good to know! It's so sad when manatees have to cancel things. The kids get so disappointed. The manatee is so disappointed. All of those juicy aquatic plants you ordered as a snack go to waste.

(Okay, yes, bed is calling....)

:ysleepy:

Lali
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

A disappointed manatee is not something you want to take lightly, believe me.

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That pic is just begging to be macro'd.

Lali
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Ooh, I agree. I have no skilz that way, though.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Skilz? I gots skilz.

Lali
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:love: Awwwwww!!!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:D See, it is so sad. I'm just not sure why your kids had to cancel the whole thing. Now the manatee is very sad.

(Okay, sorry. I am feeling a little stressed today, and that often comes out as plain, old silliness.)

Lali
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Something you know we never indulge in around here, especially me.

<strikes Deeply Thoughtful pose>

I'm sorry, I can't maintain—that poor manatee! I shall send some pennies to the Society for Bucking Up Morose Sirenians.
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

*breathe*

Ok...now what I was going to say....

Prim, your garden is a true winter wonderland... :love:

The sad manatee wrote:I go find new frends with plant snax
Not very forgiving, are they?

:rofl:
Texas, Land of the Free, Home of the Tumbleweeds....:tumbleweed:
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

No, unfortunately, that's the thing with manatees. Cancel once, and they'll never forgive you. :neutral:

Lali
Trazúviel
Elvish Hobbit

Post by Trazúviel »

And they look so laid back and easy going...go figure. :neutral:
Texas, Land of the Free, Home of the Tumbleweeds....:tumbleweed:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

They can be terribly rigid and controlling, Trazzie. If I had it to do over again, I'd get a tapir or something.
Northerner

Post by Northerner »

Here's my winter wonderland this morning after an ice storm

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Lovely, Northerner—but I hope your trees all come through OK!
Northerner

Post by Northerner »

It is pretty, isn't it? When the sun came up, it was blowing like mad outside and I was awakened by the ice breaking off from the tree branches and hitting the house.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It's pretty, but ice storms scare me. In western Oregon the ground usually isn't frozen, and it gets saturated with rain regularly—so an ice-covered tree that starts to tip is very likely to fall, maybe onto a house or a car or a person. Big limbs can come down, too. :shock: