Is this for real?

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Is this for real?

Post by Padme »

http://www.theonering.net/

If anyone here knows any different...lets us know precious.

If it is true

Merry Christmas...w0000000000t!!!!!11111 :bow:
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

All I have time to say is w00t!

And it looks real. TORn wouldn't joke about this.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

:cry:
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Ah purists....

No love for PJ ;)

He won't be directing, only producing....So the purists may still have hope.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

"Out of doubt, out of dark, to the day's rising,
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking,
Now for wrath, now for ruin, and a red nightfall."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Ah, sweet nostalgia!

It's almost 1999 again. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Wonderful news! Here we go again...
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Exactlly.

Ah the memories.

Let the games begin.

Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Oh this will be different. Last time I had only suspicions.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

:rofl: :rotfl:

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I don't know. The site title says FORGED by the fans of J.R.R. Tolkien...
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

It's all over the news now, and not just torn. Just to add and clarify stuff.

Lidless has a post on B77 about it too.

Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

Just to save anyone the effort...

Well, just got of the phone from my sauce at Newline, who I'm happy to say is now much higher up the corporate ladder.. I can tell you the following:

1 PJ and Bob Shaye have come to an agreement over their royalty battle.

2 PJ and Fran Walsh it seems will have little if no input into this and are just lending their names. The director and the screenwriters have not been chosen. It's possible they might be the scriptwriters or have script supervision, but it's unlikely, albeit possible.

3 No cast/cameo decisions have been made whatsoever, though they expect to be talking to Ian McKellen between now and the end of January.

4 No decision has been made as to the tone of the movie, given how The Hobbit is more 'child-friendly'. The choice of director should be a clue.

5 Neither has any decision been made between 2D and 3D..

6 The entire Hobbit will be contained in the first film. The sequel will tie the end of that movie with the beginning of LOTR.

Now there are certain messageboards that I can't post on, so feel free to quote.
kams

Post by kams »

Lidless wrote: 2 PJ and Fran Walsh it seems will have little if no input into this and are just lending their names.
I don't get it. :scratch: What's a "producer" anyway?
Are they financing it? Getting the director coffee?
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

A producer is the equivalent of a project manager in a company - making sure all the chess pieces are in place, whether it be personnel, locations, pre and post production and finance, with the target of getting the project in on time and on budget.

An executive producer, which PJ and Fran Walsh will be, is a more nebulous and honorific title. Often a person will receive Executive Producer credit because of his or her prior involvement with a property that has since been optioned into a film, even if there was no direct input into the creative process of the film itself. e.g. authors of optioned literary works, a person who has previously owned or currently owns a property's movie rights or someone who has produced or been involved in the production of a past version of the film.

Witness the Weinstein"s exec producer credits for LOTR - they had absolutely no input other than having previously owned the rights (and being shown as trolls in the ROTK credits).
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Hmmm... I might go see it...

It won't live up to my expectations. It's my favorite Tolkien really. I love the repeated

"Not for the last time, Bilbo wished he was at home..." in each chapter. That'll be lost I imagine.

I hope they capture the elves better in this one. More whimsical and so on.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

It's this bogus 'sequel' which I really dread. I fear pure invention in complete PJ-cliche Hollywood crap mode.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Thanks for the extra info, Lidless! I gather, then, that we know, basically, nothing. Not yet. All is in the air. As you say, when we learn something about the director, the real guessing (and, most likely, nail biting) will begin . . . .
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

As I said on b77, I'm excited!!!!

:woohoo:

Lali
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Whoops! I should have read this thread first. I just posted the AP story in the other thread.

I'm just glad we'll get another look at Middle Earth. :D
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup